Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM

10 posts, read 60,157 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to take a look at The Lenox condos, located at 500 Central Ave in Union City, this weekend. I have read numerous posts regarding Union City's Latin/Cuban/ Dominican population, urban-ness, and etc, but we will still go out there and get a "feel" for the place. But I was wondering if anyone have any comments on the Lenox condos, the surrounding area, and transportation to NYC (what do I take? distance / time) as well as in and out of Union City by car (traffic).

Thanks in advance.

Cali2NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 70,208 times
i teach in union city and would not want to live there, hands down
that area where the lenox is located is right by the one of the largest elementary schools in the country (2000 + kids)
as well as the 3rd street projects. very close to jersey city heights which is not so bad....but that section on UC is not the best, especially at night

there is a nice park on first street.... but as for the lenox (aka washington towers) I would be hesitant no matter how cheap the condo is to move in that section of union city

the palisade avenue areas are decent
where the town borders weehawken
if you are looking at alternate areas.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 17,676 times
Default The Lenox

I recently put a down payment on a studio facing Manhattan (amazing views!!!). I don't think the area is so bad, but i am born and raised in Queens so i guess im used to a little bit of urban life. Might be a little bit of a culture shock if you're from the suburbs or a small town out of state. Bottom line, for the price i don't think you can beat it (except the taxes, 3% of the purchase price, ouch!!). Not a big deal to me since i can walk down 4 blocks and be in Hoboken, or hop on the bus and be in Times Square in 15 mins

Old 01-29-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 17,436 times
Default DO NOT BUY- Unless you are smart

The team at Lenox are very well spoken but very smart. If you are a first time buyer they will cheat you. They only work with you upto a certain point. Then wash off their hands. I was surprised to note different price quotes in the closing table. They said they would resolve it, but didn't.

Please be very careful. I regreat buying in a place where there are no honest people.Do you want to be a part of such a dishonest gang???

Old 01-29-2008, 07:06 PM

32 posts, read 166,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2NJ View Post
My wife and I are planning to take a look at The Lenox condos, located at 500 Central Ave in Union City, this weekend. I have read numerous posts regarding Union City's Latin/Cuban/ Dominican population, urban-ness, and etc, but we will still go out there and get a "feel" for the place. But I was wondering if anyone have any comments on the Lenox condos, the surrounding area, and transportation to NYC (what do I take? distance / time) as well as in and out of Union City by car (traffic).

Thanks in advance.

Cali2NJ.

I also teach in Union City, right behind the Lenox Apts. Union City has problems, not a place I would want to raise kids, but I wouldn't have an issue living there. Go out walk around the neighborhood and get a feel for it (though, watch where you walk, people rarely pick up after their dogs and there is dog crap all over the sidewalks).

Right down the street from the Lenox between 3rd and 4th and West, next to the Finefare, you'll find Section 8 housing. The downtown area, where the Lenox is located, is the poorest area of Union City. Being that you will be living right next to a school, expect a lot of kids hanging out on the streets and in the school yard after 3pm.

As far as transportation to the city, I know there is a bus stop right next to the Lenox, in front of a bodega which is situated on Central Ave. You are also about a 8 minute walk from the light rail. By car, I would head down Paterson Plank Rd to the 14th St Viaduct into Hoboken...From there make a left onto Willow which will take you right into the Lincoln Tunnel. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get to NYC, without traffic.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 34,721 times
Default Lenox Area

The comments about the Union City area are e[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]xaggerated. The Union City/West New York area have come into their own in the past 5 years and there's a lot of development happening. I agree someone should take a trip to The Lenox sales office and see for themselves. I was extremely impressed with the building! The lobby rivals any other lobby in a NJ waterfront luxury condo, it's really beautiful and the gym is great! I have no idea why anyone would post negative comments about the buildng itself! [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 34,721 times
I think you have to definitely go take a look at the building, I really think it turned out well. The lobby is very nice.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 27,272 times
Default The Lenox Condominiums Union City

Union City is a working class neighborhood. If I were you, I would go by there to see for yourself. The crime rate is on par with Hoboken so I don't know what ohsosavy is talking about. Perhaps they are a tenant at the Lenox and would like to dissuade buyers so they can stay. All in all I think its a good buy and am considering it myself.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 34,637 times
Thumbs up You can't beat the Lenox Condos prices!!!!!!

I dont know what all these other people are talking about but I just put in a deposit for a studio with full NYC views and I cant wait to move in!!!!!!! I have been looking in hoboken, weehawken,west new york, edgewater and downtown JC and I was completely priced out. The building is just four blocks from hoboken and about 20min. into Port Authority. This area is what downtown jersey city and hoboken was 5-10 years ago. I also checked out the school that was behing the building and saw for myself that the children leave around 3:30 but I did not see 2,000 kids like the other post states(the chap miscalculated by over 1,800 students.....math probably wasn't his best subject). As long as you have a competent lawyer and sound financing you should be in good hands. Contact me if anyone needs a good lawyer.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 34,637 times
The loby looks like it came from a luxury building in nyc!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey