Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM

90 posts, read 362,047 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to New Jersey in early October. We'll be near Montvale, so I was looking for something within 30 minutes from there, possibly between Montvale and NYC. We want to rent at first to get an idea of where we want to live. Can you help me find a neat, safe town, and/or a good place to rent? Also, fun things to do in the fall, and around Halloween in that area. Anything that will help me get excited about moving to New Jersey--places to eat, places to shop, anything!! Please no horror stories, I've read enough negative NJ threads on this site. I'd like to know that NJ has some redeeming qualities since we are definitely moving there. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2007 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: per OP's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:49 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You lucky, lucky girl. Is your budget based on a 2-br apartment? If so, yes, that's definitely doable. You can go pretty much anywhere in that general area. People are going to start rattling off towns any minute now so I'll just mention the whole autumn/Hallowe'en aspect.

Sorry in advance for any typos. I am typing at the speed of light--in a hurry.

You will find that in the northeast in general, the autumn season is really celebrated! What do you like--homespun farms, upscale farms, out in the woods, up in the mountains? Here are a couple things. I plan on doing them myself when I go back home for a visit in October!

DiPiero's Farm: This is IN Montvale. So, that will work! It's on Grand Avenue. That's a main drag/artery through Montvale. You will find that all the main drags and neighborhoods in that general area will be scenic because of three things: trees, trees and trees. (And the homes/neighborhoods don't s*ck either.) DiPiero's is more of a "citified" farm (LOL) in that you aren't really wandering around haystacks or anything. It's a huge store that SMELLS LIKE HEAVEN from the donuts being made on the premises. It isn't cheap but there is fabulous stuff in there. Outside will be about ten million pumpkins. Pick one. Again, though, not cheap, this is a more "trendy" farm. But just because it's so local, I figured I'd mention it.

Go up Old Route 17 from there and you will find "real" farms dotted here and there back from the highway. Lots of produce, lots of atmosphere as far as everything smelling like hay...usually hayrides offered...etc.

Also Google Apple Picking, Bergen County and Apple Picking, New York and look for the New York border apple picking places. Within an hour you'll find at least three big ones, but probably more. I honestly can't remember the names of the places we used to go apple picking except Van Riper's in Bergen County but I think that farm is closed now. But that's a fun autumn jaunt out, too.

I'm sure Montvale must have a Hallowe'en parade, as most of those towns do. So if your son's little enough to be into that, it's fun. Usually on the Saturday before Hallowe'en. Also, for safety, etc., a lot of towns now have "trick or treating in town". We never did that instead of trick-or-treating, but in addition to it, and it drew the whole thing out and my kids loved it.

You will find that most businesses and most homes will be decked out with decorations pretty much the whole month. Decorate like crazy, it's fun.

*You will get a free local paper called the Community Life*. READ IT because although it's sort of on the hokey and home-spun end as far as the doings ("Shop Rite reported a vagrancy left on the curb at approximately 1:00 AM Thursday morning") but there is TONS of stuff to do listed there, usually week-by-week. You'll find haunted houses, the Hallowe'en parade, plus story hour, etc. that will in the autumn usually feature one or two special Hallowe'en story readings for little kiddies. Just lots and lots of stuff to do.

Drive farther up Old Rte. 17 to get to Harriman State Park. Google this. Up at Bear Mountain, they have an Oktoberfest every year. GOD this is fun. Food, beer if you drink it, plus usually there's some sort of crafts fair going on in the gazebo there. AND THE COLORS WILL KNOCK YOU OUT. There's a big lake there. If your son is old enough, take him out on a paddle boat. (Used to be $18--don't know what it is now...? Oktoberfest usually runs 3 or 4 weekends, I think. I mean the whole month, basically. It probably still does.

At home, make a scarecrow out of your leaves! Take an old shirt, old pants and old shoes and stuff them all full of the crisp fallen leaves. On top, put a pumpkin on for a head. Draw on the face, but you can carve probably up to a week in advance of Hallowe'en and your pumpkin will still be more or less alive by the Big Day, because it will be fairly cool/cold, esp. at night, by then.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. You are going to have a blast.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 15,894 times
Deja VU!
I moved from Texas to NJ about 5 years ago, when my job relocated to Monvale! You'll LOVE it there! Beautiful, beautiful area. Unfortunately my office relocated AGAIN -- this time to Fairfield. I still go up to Montvale now and then just to shop at DePiero's market (you'll become addicted to it - I guarantee it!)

I took an apartment in Lodi. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath - and it's well within your budget. There are comparable places in Hackensack as well. And these are definitely within 30 minutes. It used to take me about 20 minutes to get there. 15 during off hours.

Good luck! And enjoy!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Yay, there ARE people who like New Jersey! I feel better already, and I can't wait to check out DiPiero's! If you think of anything else, keep it coming! Thank you! So, Lodi and Hackensack...anywhere else?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

70 posts, read 125,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
We will be moving to New Jersey in early October from Texas for my husband's work. He'll be working in Montvale, so I was looking for something within 30 minutes from there, possibly between Montvale and NYC. We want to rent at first to get an idea of where we want to live. Our rental budget is up to $2500/mo for a 2 bdrm (is this doable?). Can you help me find a neat, safe town, and/or a good place to rent? We have a small child, not school age. Also, fun things to do in the fall, and around Halloween in that area. Anything that will help me get excited about moving to New Jersey--places to eat, places to shop, anything!! Please no horror stories, I've read enough negative NJ threads on this site. I'd like to know that NJ has some redeeming qualities since we are definitely moving there--if I had a choice I definitely would've been scared away by this website! Thanks for your help!
I assume your husband works for KPMG. I don't know about the living situation but that area was very green and gorgeous. I too worked for them out of Dallas but had to travel to Montvale a couple of times. Your husband is very lucky because that is the nicest corporate office that I have ever seen...like a college campus. Very affluent area.

Last edited by jobezee1; 08-28-2007 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
In that price range you will have a lot of choices in Central & Northern NJ. Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobezee1 View Post
I assume your husband works for KPMG.
I was thinking that too, or Sony or whatever? If it's Sony/BMW/KPMG or whatever then your husband can walk to the farm for you. It's across the street (it's not a through street, it's just for that whole complex).

I did think of something else, but I don't know if they have a fall/Hallowe'en program specifically. Check out Van Saun Park & Zoo. It's in Paramus. You may need to drive around a couple of the lots to find parking but I guarantee your son will love this place. They do have a Christmas thingie, with the zoo lit up at night with lights--so I'm wondering whether they might have a fall program, too. The atmosphere is fabulous b/c of all the trees which will give you that real autumn feel. There are playgrounds, the zoo which I think might be $1.00 per person, and a train you can ride around the zoo. And of course they have little things to eat. In the summer at least they have an ice cream truck, and there are drinks and all that, and a little gift shop.

I also forgot to mention the zoo at Bear Mountain! I know I mentioned Bear Mountain for Oktoberfest. If you guys are into walking, they have a "zoo" which is made up of animals that would not have survived in the wild for various reasons (broken wing or what have you), but it's on this long slightly uphill trail and every X amount of yards you come to another cage or the HUGE bear thingie along with a description on a signpost. And there are just general trails all up the mountain, too. And you can see Walt Whitman. (http://home.maine.rr.com/trudge/at/p35waltw.html - broken link) LOL.

Last edited by JerZ; 08-28-2007 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

He works for BMW. Thanks for all the ideas. I just want to live in a safe area with lots of fun things to do. I had gotten nervous with all the posts about the worst places to live, and you guys have made me feel tons better. THANK YOU!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,482 times
Default Great Town

I have been in Montvale for 4 years(after 7 years in NYC)- my husband grew up here, which is how we ended up back here after when we started our family. I am thrilled with our decision to come here, and that gets reinforced more and more each day. Not only is Montvale beautiful and tranquil, but the people are extremely friendly. For the area, it is still relatively affordable (although that seems to be changing), and school systems are outstanding. With NYC less than a half hour drive, you have the best of both worlds here.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 54,555 times
Great town, that area is home to several big name companies like Sony, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Hertz, and KPMG. I used to work in that area.

For shopping, there's a strip mall 5 minutes away on chestnut ridge rd called Tice's Corner. It used to be a farm (remember Tice's Farm?) but they converted it to a strip mall with stores like the Gap, Banana Republic, J Crew, Apple store, etc. Of course if you like shopping malls, go to Garden State Plaza in Paramus.

I would consider Montvale to be very safe. In fact, just down the road from BMW is Bear's Nest, a luxury community in Park Ridge where president Nixon used to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey