Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:11 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If I were gay, I'd come out with it and deal with the consequenses
To make a statement such as this proves your ignorance. Easier said than done - the consequences in some cases can be severe; from losing family and friends to losing your job. You obviously don't have gay friends.

And no, I'm not gay. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman, but my sibling is and trust me, you make it sound a lot easier than it really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:48 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
To make a statement such as this proves your ignorance. Easier said than done - the consequences in some cases can be severe; from losing family and friends to losing your job. You obviously don't have gay friends.

And no, I'm not gay. I'm engaged to a wonderful woman, but my sibling is and trust me, you make it sound a lot easier than it really is.

I work for a very huge worldwide company....we're talking over 20,000 employees world wide... there is a gay club there at work, and with diversity being nationwide, gays fall into that catagory, along with any other minority race....

And yes, I do have gay friends...as I said, women and men....some of which are at work...

I also have a friend who has a gay brother....our families are very close, my cousin is gay...so don't go telling me, I have no gay friends....you don't know me...I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't call me a lier. People who know me, trust me, why? Because I'm very upfront and honest, I pull no punches and tell it like it is. We had neighbors move in who are gay...they told me they were....they are to this day, one of the most contributing assests to the neighborhood, and everyone loves them....

If I were you, I'd be a little more careful who you acuse before you start pointing fingers...especially when you don't know them.

As far as I know, especially from my company's point of view...gays cannot be fired in this day and age due to their sexual prefrence? Correct me if I'm wrong...otherwise, don't tell me I'm something I'm not.

I do know a lot of gays feel very guilty about their sexual prefrence, b/c unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't understand them...but, I believe things are changing and will change more and more with each new year.

I don't hate or even dislike gays...but as I explained before, it is dispicable and wrong for someone to hide behind a wife, or a husband, when they know they are gay...and then to have children to.....is disloyalty and a lie...and if you can't see that, I feel sorry for you...and yes, my gay friends do feel this way, as well, because we've discussed it on more then one occassion...and they will have nothing to do, with people who do this.

As I said, all the gays I've ever known during the course of my life, even up to 12 to 20 years ago...came out with it...from the very get go.

Again, I state in all honesty...if I were gay, I'd come out with it, as I'd owe that to my family, friends, and anyone who would see me as a perspective candidate for a lover or wife...period.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:47 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Loss of his family? According to her-he was barely speaking to his family for most of their relationship. It's not like he is from the south where everyone is married by 25 years of age. He got married to further his career. Men who are not gay do this as well and later live to regret it. He is not a victim. Either is she really but he is just not a sympathetic character.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:30 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
As far as I know, especially from my company's point of view...gays cannot be fired in this day and age due to their sexual prefrence? Correct me if I'm wrong...otherwise, don't tell me I'm something I'm not.
No, gays cannot be fired for their sexual orientation - it still happens though, and very often.

You can't say what you would or wouldn't do if you were gay, because you aren't. It's not anyone's business to know what you do behind closed doors. I don't go around saying "Hey, I'm straight!!!" Why you think gays have an obligation to tell everyone is beyond me. You really have no idea what it would be like.

And if you think your few gay friends speak for the whole gay population, then IMO, you're sorely mistaking.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 AM

687 posts, read 3,252,140 times
Quote:
I believe standard support is somewhere around 30% of gross (from what I've heard from fam and friends), and I've got to imagine he's making more than $150K/yr. Her request is definitely not unreasonable.
Yes... Based on the home he and his partner bought, I would venture to guess he's making well more than 150k--even considering that his partner is apparently loaded.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:49 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
If he can afford the gorgeous home he purchased. Then he can afford to support a wife and children he left.
Its a sad story for his wife and children. No matter what the circumstances.
I think that 700 to 1000 per week is not asking much. We all know the costs of everything........a home, car, gas, clothes for the kids, food, utilities......
She is about right in asking for that amount IMO.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 AM

67 posts, read 344,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I believe standard support is somewhere around 30% of gross (from what I've heard from fam and friends), and I've got to imagine he's making more than $150K/yr. Her request is definitely not unreasonable.
Correct, it's 27% of the gross...but taken AFTER taxes
A nice chunk of change and not unreasonable. That's not enough to hurt someone in his bracket.

However, If he made 70K..he might need to move back home with his momma..or get a studio apt somewhere.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,465 times
I have met Mrs McGreevey through mutual friends. I also was married to a gay man once, and I guess they thought I should get to meet her. My ex never came out, and has never acknowledged the obvious.

My impression is not that she is insane or greedy, but that she is coping with a lot of divorce nonsense that she cannot speak of (even if everyone else does), and that she has much in common with many of us who are divorced and have always been primary caregiver parents. From what I could tell the one time I met her, she was honest, gracious, appreciative of my sympathy for the hardships of divorcing a gay man, and supportive of my struggles as well. I very much appreciate the book she wrote - it validates the experience that many women who found out their husbands were gay have had. Only for most of us, the discovery was private. But public or private, the grief is well understood by anyone who has experienced it.

Child support in New Jersey is calculated via formulas. Living in New Jersey is not cheap as many of us know, even if we are doing so modestly.

I was impressed with the dignity and grace she exhibited. I was an absolute basket case when this happened to me 10 years ago, and her calm bearing among friends and acquaintances showed her to be a lovely and decent woman. My impression was that she is a very special lady.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM

106 posts, read 898,420 times
Not everyone lives a $7.15 an hour lifestyle.

Many people have expenses of $200K or more a year. She is personally supplying 75% of that amount. Both parents are well-educated professionals with a high earning capacity. She is the executive director of a hospital foundation. He has a master's in education AND a law degree.

Why do you feel that she (or their child) should be punished because their well-earned lifestyle is above what you feel is necessary? And why do you feel that she should personally suffer because her choice of a husband and father of her child isn't a deadbeat dad? She married him, not them.

Oh ... She is probably too busy raising close to 10 million a year so that the hospital she works for can continue to provide free obstetric care to the thousands of uninsured women and their unborn children who use their facilities every year to follow your after school program suggestion.

You make it sound as if being well-educated, hard working and successful is some sort of a crime. Better that than to be a "single mother" working "2+ jobs" who managed to choose irresponsible men to father their children. She made better life choices than they did. Nothing idiotic about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I hope that judge throws her request right out the door, and then tells her to go volunteer some of her time at the after school programs filled with kids of single mothers who have to work 2+ jobs because they get little to nothing from their kids fathers. Forget the bigger support check. She needs a REALITY check. Idiot.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 PM

106 posts, read 898,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
And once she is handed the check, i give it about 6 months before she quits her job so she can 'take care' of her kid full time and ask for double the child support.
<snip>
Look at the support order of P. Diddy. 12,000 per month for ONE kid, when he already paid for the mother's house, car, and the child's school, nanny, activities, healthcare, etc. the 12k a month is simply cash for the mother to "take care" of the kid. Take care of what?? he's already paid for everything.

On top of that, he's got like 6 other kids.
That's quite a stretch. And since when is it "her" kid alone and not theirs? They both have to support that child, and it sure looks like she is the only one doing that.

If P-Diddy or whaever the heck his name is had some objection to paying all that money out in support, he could have made a quick stop at Duane Reade or CVS and spent $5 of his estimated $358 million on condoms once in a while. I find it a bit hard to believe that a man smart enough to build an empire doesn't have a clue as to where babies come from, or that they cost money once they get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: