Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 24,726 times

Advertisements

We have consider Flemington, Readington, Raritan,(appears to be rural) Basking Ridge, Warren, and Bridgewater (prices for the type of homes we like are over our budget)

Where are you coming from?
We are a family of four...7 year old boy and 11 year old girl moving from Naperville, IL

Why are you moving?
Job relocation

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Union, NJ

Will you buy or rent?
We will buy

Looking to buy, What is your budget ?
Budget is around $800,000...looking for newer homes with open floor plans

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Looking for homes that are not older than 10 years old...4 bedroom 2+baths...located in a subdivision...no more than an acre of land

Do you need/want good public schools?
Excellent public schools are a must...I am a former Special Educator teacher

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Commute to be no more that 1 hour from Union.
Community with pretty good resale value
We are looking for neighborhood/town that has a diverse population
Numerous activities for the kids such football, baseball, ballet, acting classes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 AM

60 posts, read 130,250 times
All are good choices but you should definitely look at Holmdel, too. Excellent schools, many new homes and one of the best parks in the state is Holmdel Park with Longstreet Farm. I think you will find that it is more like Naperville in feel than Basking Ridge and your money will go further. It is about a 45 minute commute to Union, however, but you will enjoy your weekends at the ocean in Sandy Hook, the free Jazz in Keyport across the way and great shopping at Holmdel Commons.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Flemington, Readington, Raritan twp is too long a commute on I78 to Union. Go no further West than Bridgewater.
Holmdel will require driving the Parkway to Union and it is heavily traveled especially Friday evenings heading towards the shore in the Summer.

RE in NJ is more expensive than most states so you may have to settle for less house than you are accustomed to.
Some people have no problem trading convenience for house so you will have to make that decision.
As you have probably already heard, NJ is the most populated state and unfortunately the job location is right in the middle of the population center.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
One of your challenging constraints will be for a house under 10 years old. Many of the most popular towns with excellent schools are well-established and have used up available space long ago, so there can be limited availability of newer homes. I'd suggest that you consider somewhat older homes (many of which may have been updated).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Basking Ridge has excellent schools. I'd actually start there. It may feel more rural than Naperville, but the community is really suburban (just spread out). You will fine newer homes in one area near The Hills, but I think there are things people don't like about the Mt. Prospect school (more competitive, people moving to The Hills just for the competitiveness, esp of highly competitive ethnic groups, and a more impersonal feeling than the rest of BR - so that one may be diverse but in a competitive way...the rest of BR is not diverse. There are pockets of new homes elsewhere (and many built in the 80-s-90's), but they tend to be very large and pricey (above $1 million). I think you can find something good in your range, though.

Watchung area might be a good fit...there are newer homes there and it is slightly closer to Union, right on the 78 corridor. Westfield is another option (within 20min from Union) and has very good schools, and is a really nice town with more to do...but it is way more congested than Basking Ridge.

Other excellent and more diverse towns close to Union are Summit and Millburn. However, most of the homes are older (but this is a NICE area! most homes will be updated).

Old 04-02-2012, 09:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparks View Post
We have consider Flemington, Readington, Raritan,(appears to be rural) Basking Ridge, Warren, and Bridgewater (prices for the type of homes we like are over our budget)

Where are you coming from?
We are a family of four...7 year old boy and 11 year old girl moving from Naperville, IL

Why are you moving?
Job relocation

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Union, NJ

Will you buy or rent?
We will buy

Looking to buy, What is your budget ?
Budget is around $800,000...looking for newer homes with open floor plans

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Looking for homes that are not older than 10 years old...4 bedroom 2+baths...located in a subdivision...no more than an acre of land

Do you need/want good public schools?
Excellent public schools are a must...I am a former Special Educator teacher

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Commute to be no more that 1 hour from Union.
Community with pretty good resale value
We are looking for neighborhood/town that has a diverse population
Numerous activities for the kids such football, baseball, ballet, acting classes etc.

Point of clarification please....will the job location be in this city of Union, (Hudson County) or in Union Twp, in Union County. I know the names can be confusing, but in order to give you accurate suggestions as to areas to live, since the two places are so far apart, clarification would be a good idea.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Point of clarification please....will the job location be in this city of Union, (Hudson County) or in Union Twp, in Union County. I know the names can be confusing, but in order to give you accurate suggestions as to areas to live, since the two places are so far apart, clarification would be a good idea.

KoalaNJ
If the address is "Union, NJ" it's going to be Union Twp. in Union County.

Union City in Hudson County is "Union City, NJ" There is no "city of Union"

Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 AM

110 posts, read 204,889 times
I don't really have anything to contribute as far your posts goes, but as someone who just moved from Illinois, I wanted to say good luck! Hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If the address is "Union, NJ" it's going to be Union Twp. in Union County.

Union City in Hudson County is "Union City, NJ" There is no "city of Union"
There is also a Union Twp in Hunterdon County to confuse matters even more. I assume the OP is talking about Union, NJ tho - the first one you mention.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM

15 posts, read 24,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post

KoalaNJ
So sorry, didn't realize that...it will be in Union Township off of US 22.
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey