Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
While catching the end of a NJ Nets game, I noticed shots of Midtown Manhattan (i.e.The Empire State Building) and the Statue of Liberty. As I considered those part of NY, I wondered what things NJ itself is actually known for--besides being close to NYC and Philly? While this may be nice to know, being close to either city doesn't tell me much about the actual state of NJ. As an outsider, I'd like to get some responses (since I think people should see NJ as a state of its own, and it appears most people do not).
When I think of NJ I think of the beaches during the summer time. I'm from NY and I like to go there in the summer. Other than that I don't really know too much about NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
NJ also has colleges, universities, and trade schools galore both public and private. All within relative ease in getting there.
Including Princeton, which is often the number 1 ranked university in the country, according to 'US News and World Reports'.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
See my album...natural treasures in plain view

Also history.....Edison and his inventions, first submarine, armistice to end WWI signed in Raritan, first black to vote was from Perth Amboy, William franklin governor located in Perth Amboy, pharma discoveries, ivermectin, rhogam, lost Staten Island to NY in a boat race, jaws based on a shark up cheesequake creek, invention of the barnegat sneakbox, the garvey, first college football game, olympic horses, honey bees, revolutionary battles and George slept everywhere.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Off the top of my head: blueberries, peaches, corn and tomatoes; Atlantic City (and the famous Monopoly board, which is based on AC), Springsteen, Sinatra, boardwalks and beaches, including the country's first seashore resort (Cape May), salt water taffy, the Pine Barrens (and of course the Jersey Devil, who lives there), diners, malls...will be back later with more, I'm sure!

Good list, ocnjgirl! Especially the tomatoes--Oh, how I LOVE the tomatoes. Best in the world, but unfortunately, a short season--six to eight weeks, when you can get real, out-of-the-garden Jersey tomatoes. Tomatoes from anywhere else just don't taste the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
An interesting list can be found here: JerseyPride.com: Featuring Diverse Jersey Info, Pictures, and Proud Clothing (http://www.jerseypride.com/all_jersey_info/jersey_trivia.htm - broken link) I find one of the recent red entries humorous ... "the 40th lowest liquor tax of all the 50 states".

Another thing I remember reading somewhere years ago, and it is so true, is that NJ is the only one of the "New" States that can be spoken about without actually using the the word "New".
Good point. No one talks about "Hampshire" or "York" as states, and if you talk about "Mexico", you're in a completely different country!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
While catching the end of a NJ Nets game, I noticed shots of Midtown Manhattan (i.e.The Empire State Building) and the Statue of Liberty. As I considered those part of NY, I wondered what things NJ itself is actually known for--besides being close to NYC and Philly? While this may be nice to know, being close to either city doesn't tell me much about the actual state of NJ. As an outsider, I'd like to get some responses (since I think people should see NJ as a state of its own, and it appears most people do not).
Oh yes, and um, the Statue of Liberty is IN New Jersey.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:06 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yes, and um, the Statue of Liberty is IN New Jersey.
I don't really have time to look it up now, but I thought I remembered NJ won the initial dispute but then NY won on appeal. I could be wrong.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
From a business perspective, NJ is (or was) the pharmaceutical capital of the world.

I think we've lost this title, though.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:39 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Erroneous assumption on your part. None of the "Jersey" people I know consider NJ being "close to NYC and Philly" as its positives.
I should have been more clear: I was speaking from an outsider's perspective, in that it seems people not from NJ see it as simply an extension of both cities.

That said you all have widened my perspective: I recognize NJ is more than just Newark, Elizabeth, etc., but I wasn't aware of the cranberries and blueberries.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM

133 posts, read 312,009 times
The NY vs NJ comparisons are absurd. I grew up and spent almost my whole life in NY and now I live in northern NJ. I even went to high school in NJ while living in NY, and for a long time lived in NY and worked in NJ. The truth of it is that culturally they are two extremely similar places. Northern NJ has a lot of great suburbs, but so too does NY. Bergen county's twin sister could be Westchester or Nassau county, NY. So yes, while NY and NJ are two different states, it mostly comes down to a driver's license, a license plate, and where you file your taxes.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
I should have been more clear: I was speaking from an outsider's perspective, in that it seems people not from NJ see it as simply an extension of both cities.

That said you all have widened my perspective: I recognize NJ is more than just Newark, Elizabeth, etc., but I wasn't aware of the cranberries and blueberries.
New Jersey is one of the top states in cranberry and blueberry production. The Pinelands area in particular has perfect soil for these crops.

Here are some interesting links:

New Jersey Farms - Flowers, Cranberries, Blueberries

Blueberry Festival, Elizabeth C. White,historic site,Browns Mills, NJ,Whitesbog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey