Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I will be moving to North Jersey soon and are looking for a cool place to live. He will be working in East Hanover and I will be going to grad school at Rutgers in Newark. We are hoping to find somewhere convenient to both of those locations, maybe somewhere in between. So far, I am very interested in Montclair and West Orange, but I do know rent is high. I'd really appreciate any thoughts and advice anyone may have

Where are you coming from? Buffalo, NY
Why are you moving? Me - Grad School / BF - Work
Where will you be working? Me - Rutgers in Newark / BF - Novartis in East Hanover
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? $1200 MAX
What kind of place are you looking for? any apartment or part of a house, with refridgerator, stove, dishwasher, etc.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Boyfriend and 2 cats
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
Safe, slightly urban with restaurants and shops, diverse, artsy, walkable, close to train stations (I may be taking the train to school if it's easier than driving), grocery stores close by (I do love Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but could use a cheaper one as well)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
safety, easy commute, downtown area

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM

23 posts, read 48,712 times
Take a look at Maplewood.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
clifton, bellville,bloomfield

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt03 View Post
Hi! My boyfriend and I will be moving to North Jersey soon and are looking for a cool place to live. He will be working in East Hanover and I will be going to grad school at Rutgers in Newark. We are hoping to find somewhere convenient to both of those locations, maybe somewhere in between. So far, I am very interested in Montclair and West Orange, but I do know rent is high. I'd really appreciate any thoughts and advice anyone may have

Where are you coming from? Buffalo, NY
Why are you moving? Me - Grad School / BF - Work
Where will you be working? Me - Rutgers in Newark / BF - Novartis in East Hanover
Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? $1200 MAX
What kind of place are you looking for? any apartment or part of a house, with refridgerator, stove, dishwasher, etc.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Boyfriend and 2 cats
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
Safe, slightly urban with restaurants and shops, diverse, artsy, walkable, close to train stations (I may be taking the train to school if it's easier than driving), grocery stores close by (I do love Whole Foods and Trader Joes, but could use a cheaper one as well)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
safety, easy commute, downtown area

Thank you!

I would look at Montclair, Maplewood, and South Orange (in that order). I would describe all three towns as "Safe, slightly urban with restaurants and shops, diverse, artsy, walkable, close to train stations, grocery stores close by." No joke - that's pretty much spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey