Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Currently an Illinois Resident whose heading to Central Jersey for a project anywhere from 1-3 years. Will be working in Piscataway, so I've been looking to rent either an apt or townhome near by. Been looking at Rentals in Piscataway, South Plainfield (that is close to 287), Edison, and Somerset/Franklin Park area.

Since it will be myself, wife, and an infant, school district isn't an issue for me, but definitely want to find a safe neighborhood.

Any help/advice regarding where to look and what to look for would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Farhan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fismail View Post
Hi everyone,

Currently an Illinois Resident whose heading to Central Jersey for a project anywhere from 1-3 years. Will be working in Piscataway, so I've been looking to rent either an apt or townhome near by. Been looking at Rentals in Piscataway, South Plainfield (that is close to 287), Edison, and Somerset/Franklin Park area.

Since it will be myself, wife, and an infant, school district isn't an issue for me, but definitely want to find a safe neighborhood.

Any help/advice regarding where to look and what to look for would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Farhan

I'd avoid the New Brunswick area due to safety and the predominance of rental housing being rented by Rutgers students. Also avoid the Bound Brook area due to severe flooding issues. (also an issue in other areas near Bound Brook, so be careful.) I would recommend Highland Park...great walkable down town, very close to work for you, plus affordable rental housing. Good if your wife is a SAHM, since there are plenty of young moms in the area, and nice parks, and shopping within walking distance. If you want a more suburban, as opposed to urban) atmosphere check out Hillsborough. (the northeastern portion) Hillsborough has no walkable downtown, but rentals are more affordable as there is no good mass transit to NYC.

Best of Luck!
KoalaNJ

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
If school is not a priority, look no further than Piscataway and Edison. Both good towns with LOTS of rental communities, shopping, restaurants and safe neighborhood.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
Appreciate the feedback.
Past two weeks have been on a full court press for 2+ bed, 2+bath, garage townhomes in the areas of Edison, Piscataway, and certain parts of summerset/Franklin Twp.
Lot of places that I liked in my price range were getting scooped up including two places I really wanted to sign at in the Qailsbrook area.

Currently on the verge at signing a lease at a townhome in Beacon Hill subdivision in Franklin Township. Any feedback regarding that development?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 18,184 times
Beacon Hill development is nice - it is about 10-15 minutes further of a commute than if you got into a Quailbrook townhouse. Quailbrook is much closer to 287 and also close to the Franklin Twp library that has cute programs for toddlers. I am bringing up the proximity to 287 because 287 is JAMMED at rush hour times. You may see it is only 5 miles or so away from Quailbrook developments to Piscataway, but that could take at least 30 minutes on busy traffic days. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,155 times
Default Cedar Manor

If you haven't committed to any one place yet, I'd recommend checking out Cedar Manor in Somerset. I've been living here for about 18 months now.
Very spacious 2BR apartments (townhouse style) w/ loft or basement. (approx 1800sq ft). Very safe neighborhood. 2 mins from 287. No complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey