Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,917 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a home that has renters who refuse to leave. They haven't paid rent for many months, and their lease has expired. The seller won the eviction judgement last week, and the sheriff's eviction (whatever it is called) will be filed Thursday. If they don't leave, the sheriff will physically remove them from the property next week.

I'm just wondering if it is criminal. I know that one of them is employed in an industry in which they would definitely lose their job. I want them to leave but don't wish any misfortune beyond the house.

At what point does it become criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
No, an eviction isn't criminal. Resisting the sheriff could be, though.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM

128 posts, read 355,263 times
Evictions are civil matters, not criminal. But nybbler is correct ... if they get nasty with the sheriff, they could be in for a load of trouble. They are on borrowed time, and hopefully they will do the right thing and just leave.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Just keep your fingers crossed they don't completely trash the house.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Just keep your fingers crossed they don't completely trash the house.
Thanks for everybody's replies. We did find out that trashing the place would be criminal. If they trash it, the seller would have to restore to its original state before closing.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,253 times
similar thing happened to a house in my neighborhood.

house sold for $110K (was old house)
day before sheriff came, they had a party
told everyone do what they wanted to the house.
toilets busted
walls had holes
left water running

buyer said house not in same condition as when contract signed
renegaotiated house sale (or buyer would walk away)
sold for $70K
seller tried to sue tenants, but they were gone and disappeared

buyer was a builder, was planing on knocking down house anyway
got house for $40K less

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
similar thing happened to a house in my neighborhood.

house sold for $110K (was old house)
day before sheriff came, they had a party
told everyone do what they wanted to the house.
toilets busted
walls had holes
left water running
Some people are SCUM. What they should have is a rating system, just like the credit reporting services. Good renters get better rental rates, bad/abusive renters get to live in slums or in a cardboard box under the freeway overpass.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM

It is so sad. This is a million dollar house. The wife has Louis Vuitton purses in the closet. It makes no sense.

I have called the sheriff's office several times. I get transferred, then the phone rings and rings and rings. I want to find out what happens to their stuff after the sheriff takes control of the property.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
The wife has Louis Vuitton purses in the closet.
Did you ever consider that those "Louis Vuitton purses" are actually $25 counterfeits purchased on Canal Street in NYC?

There are a lot of very shallow people who feel that they are somehow more respected if they walk around with what appears to be the trappings of wealth.
If they are deadbeats regarding their rent, I think it is safe to assume that a lot of the outward appearances of their standard of living are...shall we say...not genuine.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Did you ever consider that those "Louis Vuitton purses" are actually $25 counterfeits purchased on Canal Street in NYC?

There are a lot of very shallow people who feel that they are somehow more respected if they walk around with what appears to be the trappings of wealth.
If they are deadbeats regarding their rent, I think it is safe to assume that a lot of the outward appearances of their standard of living are...shall we say...not genuine.

True!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey