Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to move from Chicago to be near family in NYC metro area as well as other old friends on the East coast.

Last week we checked out the metro NYC area, and as expected the housing inventory is limited and expensive so we decided to broaden our search a bit into other parts of NJ and see if it makes sense.

If you are familiar with Westchester at all, the kind of town we like most would be similar to Tarrytown or Montclair (both have housing costs that would be a bit out of reach for us).

We are now investigating Princeton as a possibility. It is near enough to NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, etc. and seems to have enough in town activities and shops to keep us plenty busy.

We are looking for a condo or two story townhouse (master BR, kitchen, living area on the first floor) with a garage in a nice area within walking distance to some destination spot with shops and maybe a good coffee house, bookstore, etc. We will have at least one car to move around a bit and need some source of organic produce, e.g. Whole Foods or equivalent (cheaper would be great!).

This forum has been extremely helpful in our search so far (I've posted on the Westchester and Ct. forums) and hoping that I might get similar outstanding advice about Princeton or alternatives that are a bit further from NYC metro but still accessible. Thanks much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Keep in mind if you live in Princeton you are going to pay a premium for two things. A very good school district and commuting to NYC.

There is a Wholefoods on Rt.1 that should work for you.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Keep in mind if you live in Princeton you are going to pay a premium for two things. A very good school district and commuting to NYC.

Yes, this is a similar issue with Westchester County and Fairfield County, CT.

Are there nearby towns where I will not necessarily be paying a premium for the school district. Since I am not commuting to NYC, it is not necessary for us to be close to the train - just some access.

Thanks much for your reply!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
You should definitely consider some of the surrounding towns. While not "cheap", they are generally a bit cheaper than Princeton. Towns like Pennington and Lawrenceville. Even some sections of Hamilton and Ewing are nice. Also check out Lambertville. That has a more walkable feel to it and lots of shops and restaurants.

Have you also considered PA?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
If you liked Montclair, you could also try near-by towns like Verona where you can get in a little cheaper but still have access to Montclair.

Morristown could also be worth a look.

Princeton is tricky... if you compromise and look outside of it, you lose the "feel" quickly.

Lambertville / New Hope (PA) might also fit a lot of what you're looking for.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You should definitely consider some of the surrounding towns. While not "cheap", they are generally a bit cheaper than Princeton. Towns like Pennington and Lawrenceville. Even some sections of Hamilton and Ewing are nice. Also check out Lambertville. That has a more walkable feel to it and lots of shops and restaurants.

Have you also considered PA?
Thanks for the suggestions. We would definitely like to be in a walkable area since we do a lot of walking and like to have a "destination" while we are walking. I'm going to check out the towns you recommended, most especially Lambertville. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM

208 posts, read 545,098 times
Quote:

Also don't forget Whole Earth, which is on Nassau St (R 27) within Princeton itself and offers locally produced vegetables, fruits, as well as other organic goods.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
If you liked Montclair, you could also try near-by towns like Verona where you can get in a little cheaper but still have access to Montclair.

Morristown could also be worth a look.

Princeton is tricky... if you compromise and look outside of it, you lose the "feel" quickly.

Lambertville / New Hope (PA) might also fit a lot of what you're looking for.
Seems like Lambertville is a good place to check out. I'll do so promptly.

I thought of towns outside of Montclair but when looking at the housing inventory, there doesn't seem much in terms of condos/townhouses in the area and high taxes seem to be pervasive. But I will go back and look again and see if there are some possibilities that I overlooked. A single family probably is not appropriate for us at this time in our lives.

Thanks much for your suggestions!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
Also don't forget Whole Earth, which is on Nassau St (R 27) within Princeton itself and offers locally produced vegetables, fruits, as well as other organic goods.
There is nothing I love more than locally produced, organic produce!! We will definitely visit Whole Earth when we visit Princeton. Thanks much for sharing this with us!

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 PM

208 posts, read 545,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We would definitely like to be in a walkable area since we do a lot of walking and like to have a "destination" while we are walking. I'm going to check out the towns you recommended, most especially Lambertville. Thanks again for your help.
I personally love Lambertville, but it is somewhat isolated compared to Princeton (does not have easy access to trains, if that is a concern). There was also major flooding in the area after Irene, but I believe that is not a regular event for the town...

I would also add Hopewell to your list of towns to see (north of Pennington), there is less to do there than Princeton, but it is just as pretty and the housing stock significantly less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey