Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
I've seen houses/condos in Jersey City for a little over 300K. There is a website: nj realestate (.com) has some.

Note: I am not a realtor. I am not in real estate in anyway, just wanted to share some info is all.
These are tiny railroad style walk up apartments in former tenement buildings. Realtors are marketing them to the transplanted hipsters in Manhattan where it is such a 'great deal' compared to $3,000 a month rent for a one bedroom walk up apartment on the Upper East Side and where this 750 square foot 'condo' can be marketed as 'huge & loftlike'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Try Rockaway NJ. Go onto Realtor.com and check out what's in the boro also.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
These are tiny railroad style walk up apartments in former tenement buildings. Realtors are marketing them to the transplanted hipsters in Manhattan where it is such a 'great deal' compared to $3,000 a month rent for a one bedroom walk up apartment on the Upper East Side and where this 750 square foot 'condo' can be marketed as 'huge & loftlike'
The condos may be small, but the houses aren't. However the neighborhood is probably an "up and coming neighborhood."

Further, not all NY'ers believe a 750sq ft condo is "huge and loftlike." Especially a NY'er coming from boroughs outside of Manhattan where the apartments tend to be quite large.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,889 times
Default That is a tough order to fill...

I would consider a condo in a "nicer" area then the two you mentioned. I wouldn't walk the streets after dark nor send my kids to any of those schools mentioned.
I am a builder in Union and Somerset county and reside in Westfield, so I am familiar with the area. [mod]No Advertising[/mod] Check out Summit or Westfield, both great towns with great public transportation.

Last edited by xxman777; 10-01-2006 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: No Advertising Please

Old 10-01-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
The condos may be small, but the houses aren't. However the neighborhood is probably an "up and coming neighborhood."

Further, not all NY'ers believe a 750sq ft condo is "huge and loftlike." Especially a NY'er coming from boroughs outside of Manhattan where the apartments tend to be quite large.
Uh no... The apartments outside Manhattan are not 'Quite Large' unless you are a real estate agent. In that case everything over 600 square feet is 'Huge & Loftlike'. Any apartment over 900 square feet is considered 'enourmous'.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 23,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn2006 View Post
...could someone please recommend a good area, preferably not far from NYC & Staten Island (since both of us work there). My husband & I are from Queens, NY...we are not familiar with NJ and the good areas...Our price range is upto $300,000....I've heard Plainfield is a good area and also Roselle...is this decent? Please help! Thanks alot!
I would recommend Union, is a nice town, and by the way i'm selling my Union house because i'm going back to my country

Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM

138 posts, read 509,929 times
Quote:
Uh no... The apartments outside Manhattan are not 'Quite Large' unless you are a real estate agent. In that case everything over 600 square feet is 'Huge & Loftlike'. Any apartment over 900 square feet is considered 'enourmous'.

Frankly, the realtor bashing comments are getting tiresome. Not all of us are blowing smoke up the client's butts! I'm very quick to point out the many bad points any given property has rather than lose my credibility & gloss over the facts, and there are many others like me!

We're not all crooks looking to scam the public! UGH!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinetteNJ View Post
Frankly, the realtor bashing comments are getting tiresome. Not all of us are blowing smoke up the client's butts! I'm very quick to point out the many bad points any given property has rather than lose my credibility & gloss over the facts, and there are many others like me!

We're not all crooks looking to scam the public! UGH!
So defensive right?? Maybe lose your sense of arrogance and understand that any smart person or someone who grew up in this area can see right thru your spin. You are as respected as the average used car dealer in Queens who will only honor the advertised price if the customer finances thru the dealer.

Explain again why you think you deserve 6% of a sale or 15% of the annual rent paid by the renter when you represent the landlord or property manager.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:46 PM

138 posts, read 509,929 times
Quote:
So defensive right?? Maybe lose your sense of arrogance and understand that any smart person or someone who grew up in this area can see right thru your spin. You are as respected as the average used car dealer in Queens who will only honor the advertised price if the customer finances thru the dealer.

Explain again why you think you deserve 6% of a sale or 15% of the annual rent paid by the renter when you represent the landlord or property manager.
Ay, yi, yi…

The only comment worth addressing out of that little hissy fit of a post is …

IN NJ, COMMISSION IS COMPLETELY NEGOTIABLE BETWEEN HOMEOWNER AND THE REALTOR, AT A RATE THE HOMEOWNER AND REALTOR DEEM APPROPRIATE.

FURTHERMORE, IN THE CASE OF A RENTAL, THE REALTOR DOES NOT EARN 15% OF THE ANNUAL RENT PAID BY THE TENANT.

COMMISSION ON A RENTAL IS HALF OF ONE MONTH’S RENT, UNLESS THE LANDLORD'S AGENT BRINGS THE TENANT. HERE’S THE MATH IN CASE YOU’RE CONFUSED.

Monthly Rent = 1500.00
Tenant Pays Commission = 1500.00
Landlord’s Agent & Tenant’s Agent Split the Commission = $750.00
MINUS Agent’s Broker’s SPLIT of approx. 40% ($300)
FINAL COMMISSION = $450.00

$450 for researching available apartments, and days (if not weeks) of driving the tenant around on your gas tank while showing apartments.

15% OF THE ANNUAL RENTAL FEE????? LMAO…thanks for the laugh!

Your tirade was especially entertaining. Now run along little boy, before you hurt yourself.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinetteNJ View Post
Ay, yi, yi…

The only comment worth addressing out of that little hissy fit of a post is …

IN NJ, COMMISSION IS COMPLETELY NEGOTIABLE BETWEEN HOMEOWNER AND THE REALTOR, AT A RATE THE HOMEOWNER AND REALTOR DEEM APPROPRIATE.

FURTHERMORE, IN THE CASE OF A RENTAL, THE REALTOR DOES NOT EARN 15% OF THE ANNUAL RENT PAID BY THE TENANT.

COMMISSION ON A RENTAL IS HALF OF ONE MONTH’S RENT, UNLESS THE LANDLORD'S AGENT BRINGS THE TENANT. HERE’S THE MATH IN CASE YOU’RE CONFUSED.

Monthly Rent = 1500.00
Tenant Pays Commission = 1500.00
Landlord’s Agent & Tenant’s Agent Split the Commission = $750.00
MINUS Agent’s Broker’s SPLIT of approx. 40% ($300)
FINAL COMMISSION = $450.00

$450 for researching available apartments, and days (if not weeks) of driving the tenant around on your gas tank while showing apartments.

15% OF THE ANNUAL RENTAL FEE????? LMAO…thanks for the laugh!

Your tirade was especially entertaining. Now run along little boy, before you hurt yourself.

That isn't the way it is in North Jersey or specifically Bergen or Hudson counties. Most apartments rent for close to or over $2,000 a month with the broker taking 15% of the annual rent from the prospective tenant. And usually you see one or two apartments not many. And every apartment I have seen I have paid my own tolls & gas to and from back to NYC...

Maybe it is different when you are in Southwest Jersey or away from the NYC metro area part of NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey