Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times

Advertisements

Karma decided to punch me in the face this weekend by killing my A/C.

Little back story:

I have a combo furnace/AC unit. My wife and I had been noticing that the unit was "leaking" if the AC was running while the dryer was going. (Both are in a small mud room)

Granted, the A/C does not run super cold. I keep it around 76-78.

So my dad came over and decided to vacuum out the condensation out take. A ton of junk came out of it. So we decided to see what the next steps would be.

3 hours later, the A/C isn't cooling the house.

The unit fans turn on, the outside unit turns on, it's just not blowing cold air all of a sudden - so we're guessing it's a freon recharge, and that's all.

Hopefully.

I called AJ Perri after seeing their trucks non-stop on my commute. I'll let you know how it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Ugh, good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My sympathy. I moved into my condo two years ago, when the July temps were regularly over 100 degrees. The 25-yr-old AC broke down twice.

I since got a new AC and furnace. Used AJ Perri. Some people will whine that they cost more, but they've been around for 30 years and aren't going to disappear in a year when something happens, like Joe Schmoe's HVAC-R-US.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
it's like when my heat went out ON CHRISTMAS for 3+ days. Sucks. Hope it's fixed soon!

Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM

It's amazing how the appliances know the holidays. My water heater died last New Year's Eve.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM

So AJ Perri has a maintenance special which includes 2 pounds of refrigerant for 90 dollars.

AJ Perri decides to quote me $350 dollars for... 3 pounds of refrigerant.

Total estimate is over $1000 dollars. No way in hell I'm paying that on a old AC unit.

Here's the comedy though: I'm out $100 bucks and I know what's wrong with the system, but other AC places won't even quote prices on the phone without spending ANOTHER 100 bucks for THEM to come out and look at it.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
So AJ Perri has a maintenance special which includes 2 pounds of refrigerant for 90 dollars.

Total estimate is over $1000 dollars. No way in hell I'm paying that on a old AC unit.

Here's the comedy though: I'm out $100 bucks and I know what's wrong with the system, but other AC places won't even quote prices on the phone without spending ANOTHER 100 bucks for THEM to come out and look at it.
It's summer and it's 90+ degrees out. They've got ya by the short and curlies, and they know it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's summer and it's 90+ degrees out. They've got ya by the short and curlies, and they know it.
I'm not going to say what happened because even I can't believe it but by an incredible stroke of luck the AC is back on and blowing cold. Let's just say I'm very lucky to have (wait for it...) an AC repairman as a neighbor and not even know it. *facepalm*

Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 AM

That's great! Enjoy it.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post

Yep. Been through this myself this season.

Anyways, I thought I'd post this article I just saw:

Rossen Reports: Are A/C repairers competent and honest? - TODAY Rossen Reports - TODAY.com

Quote:
Rossen Reports: Are air-conditioning repairers being competent and honest?
In a hidden-camera investigation, 6 out of 6 tried to charge for unnecessary work

By Jeff Rossen and Robert Powell
TODAY
updated 7/10/2012 7:44:56 AM ET

You depend on them to keep you cool in these dog days of summer, but are air-conditioning repairmen taking advantage, charging you for repairs you don’t need? TODAY National Investigative Correspondent Jeff Rossen and his team went undercover to find out.

It's hot out, and we've all been there: Your air conditioning breaks, and it's an emergency. So you call the A/C company. We trust them to fix the problem at a fair price, but are they, really? We tested several of those companies on hidden camera, and experts say: Some are blowing hot air when they hand you the bill.

We set up our hidden camera test right smack in the middle of a heat wave. We rented a house in New Jersey and had three certified A/C experts inspect our system from top to bottom. Their verdicts: Our system was "in very, very good shape," "perfect," and in "excellent shape, good working condition."

Then we brought in Bobby Ring, president of a top A/C company and senior vice chair of the Air Conditioning Contractors of America. He set up what he said is a common and easy-to-fix problem: a simple broken wire that shuts the unit down. He said he would charge less than $200 to fix it.

“So if a technician tells us, 'You need other work done to fix this problem?'" we asked.

"They're either incompetent or dishonest," Ring replied.

[snip]

In the end, the results weren’t good. Experts say six out of six air-conditioning companies — every one we called — tried to charge us for unnecessary repairs.

"I'm really disappointed," Bobby Ring said. "I didn't expect to see the degree of dishonesty and incompetence we did."

Experts say there are honest A/C companies out there. And you should find them before you have an emergency. To make it easier, below are some helpful links to find a trained and reputable air-conditioning contractor in your area:
https://www.acca.org/consumer/find-a-contractor
HVAC Contractor locator employing NATE-certified technicians from NATE, HVAC technician organization
I used one of the 6 companies featured in the hidden camera investigation. I wasn't surprised at the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: