Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM

140 posts, read 504,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Camden, has extensive transportation system (Buses, Light Rail (Riverline) and 24 hour train (patco) to Philly. I recommend the Rutgers University area in Camden.
How dangerous is camden realy? I hear that the crime is usually just between the young wanna be thugs, gang members, and drug dealers...and if you aren't involved with those 3 categories...you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
How dangerous is camden realy? I hear that the crime is usually just between the young wanna be thugs, gang members, and drug dealers...and if you aren't involved with those 3 categories...you should be fine.
Camden is the most dangerous city in the country and it comes by that designation do to the per capita crime rate being so high. Camden is a city in name, but has a relativley small population for a city. Personally, I would not choose to live in Camden. While most of the crime is certainly drug and gang related, it's not as if regular folks aren't routinely caught in the crossfire. There are some decent sections and enclaves, like Fairview that is still OK and North Camden has some good sub-neighborhoods. However, both of those better areas don't afford you easy access to the things you are looking for.

If you were to consider Camden at all, you would be much better looking into the affordable options in Collingswood and Oaklyn, perhaps even Audubon. There are places with rents under $800 a month, some as low as $600-$650. The areas are very safe and you get access to PATCO to get to Philly or Camden as needed. The areas are also very walkable/bikeable with easy access to plenty of stores and restaurants.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Hackensack. Pretty walkable. Bergen Community is nearby in Paramus, and they have a building right here in town where I guess you could take some sort of classes*. Also FDU is also in town.

*looked it up, apparently it's the Philip Ciarco Jr. Center for adult something or something. It's for adults to get GED and for ESL. Tell you what, I'm curious if I could learn Spanish there

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
dude, you don't want to live in Camden

A lot of what you hear in a lot of places is hokum, sure, like in Bergen county they even complain about Hackensack, which is ridiculous, I know I'm pretty damn safe here, but Camden is f!@#*& up.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM

140 posts, read 504,579 times
I know...I do remember hearing from a guy that Camden was a tab bit rough around the edges...But I can get along with anyone.

Plus...I figure....Living in Camden would help build my "Street Cred a little bit"....Ladies will naturally think Im so Bad Ass for living there...plus they will be able to tell I'm a normal /cool / level-headed guy...but living in camden just gives me a mysterious edgeyness too me. Plus it will be good for public transportation.

I figure it's a Win / Win....what do you guys think???

I grew up in Plainfield New Jersey...and the girls from Watchung hills / warren, ect used to think I was the ****!!! So I figure If I live in Camden...I should be able to pull chics from Beverly Hills

Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Cliffside Park has a walk score of 80. Its a mile wide by a mile long with about 24,000 people so its actually more densely populated than some parts of Manhatten. No trains just buses that run frequently. An express bus at the right time can get you into the PA in 20 minutes.

Very diverse ethnicly and financially.

Definetly no need for a car. Has many resturants and bars. A&P in center of town.

07010, Cliffside Park Rentals and Apartments on Walk score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey