Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Am I missing something here? Are you referencing me? Diane Giam? JimmyLane? The Jersey Devil? Adolf Hitler? Rosie O'Donnell?
Yes you are missing something
I can not say names (keep getting in trouble )
I will give you a clue

go to the Don't move to nj thread page 3
And no it is not you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
where most of you people just rant and rave incessantly about taxes and corrupt politicians.
LOL You people

Old 10-04-2007, 09:22 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
All kidding aside for a minute
You have some beautiful scenery out there in Newton

I was in Newton Memorial hospital last weekend and will be back this saturday , And the surrounding town I think the name was Ferdon or something like that .This time i am going to stop at one of those markets on the side of the road with the home made pies and sweet corn (dz for 3.00)
Every house on the outskirts of town had to have a few acres of land and they were all very nice looking from the outside
Yes, it is a nice area. That's one of the reasons I moved there. I understand from long time residents that there has been a lot of development over the last 10-20 years. I just don't want it to end up looking like an ugly, over sprawled area with too much of everything.

I like the fact that most of the stores are clustered in the area just north of the town, but I get concerned when I hear about more planned developments, especially if it is for something the town already has in abundance.

Home Depot opened up around the time I moved in, located on a former meadow. There was no major hardware chain nearby so could understand. However, Lowes followed a couple of years later and more trees were cut down. We have a Dunkin Donuts on Route 206. Another one opened inside the Walmart. Now there has been approval for a new development to include, among other businesses, a Dunkin Donuts on the same road as the Home Depot (where we now have a new hotel and restaurant). Unless they are planning on moving the current Dunkin Donuts, having 3 within walking distance is ridiculous.

I love Sussex County because it is a beautiful area and I want to see as much of it preserved as possible. It really depends on the type of development. Recently on Trinty Street, an ugly, abandoned house and building was torn down and replaced by a new building for senior adults. This at least makes the town look better. If they bring in a type of business that is lacking in the area, then okay.

There are 2 things that really disturb me. One is to destroy the natural beauty of the land just for the sake of development. If the number of stores, restaurants and other businesses is sufficient, then there is no reason to keep adding on. What is wrong with having trees, lakes, parks and meadows? If they really want to develop something, tear down something crappy looking and replace it with something better. The other is to have houses on top of each other. I've seen cities with houses built next to each other or piled in so close you have no privacy. This is ugly. There should be minimum lot sizes and if you are going to build a street of houses, at least make the area look attractive.

Sussex County is billed as people and nature together. It had better stay that way.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Just curious....don't you think that if you keep posting how great Tennessee is that alot of Jerseyites will move there and that it will become New Tennessee?
You know that scares me, we have enough already. Acually I bought this house from a former Jerseyite.

Diane

Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseynj View Post
Truthfully, I don't think we have enough Dunkin Donuts in NJ. I know Howell has only 3 D&Ds in a 2 mile radius.
I agree. For someone like me (love DD--hate Starbucks), it is pure torture. BTW, DD's headquarters is in the Boston area (that's why so many up there). They were my client few years back and you wouldn't believe how many donuts they have everywhere in the office, I mean like every receptionist's desk, etc. I remember thinking to myself, gee I hope they have a surgeon on staff to pump the cholesterol out of everybody at the end of the day

Sorry, I know it's OT, didn't mean to highjack the thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You know that scares me, we have enough already. Acually I bought this house from a former Jerseyite.

Diane
That must be why everyone there is refined, nice, moneyed, bright and educated--because so many of them are from New Jersey.

I was wondering about that and am glad you cleared up this question.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Yes, it is a nice area. That's one of the reasons I moved there. I understand from long time residents that there has been a lot of development over the last 10-20 years. I just don't want it to end up looking like an ugly, over sprawled area with too much of everything.

I like the fact that most of the stores are clustered in the area just north of the town, but I get concerned when I hear about more planned developments, especially if it is for something the town already has in abundance.

Home Depot opened up around the time I moved in, located on a former meadow. There was no major hardware chain nearby so could understand. However, Lowes followed a couple of years later and more trees were cut down. We have a Dunkin Donuts on Route 206. Another one opened inside the Walmart. Now there has been approval for a new development to include, among other businesses, a Dunkin Donuts on the same road as the Home Depot (where we now have a new hotel and restaurant). Unless they are planning on moving the current Dunkin Donuts, having 3 within walking distance is ridiculous.

I love Sussex County because it is a beautiful area and I want to see as much of it preserved as possible. It really depends on the type of development. Recently on Trinty Street, an ugly, abandoned house and building was torn down and replaced by a new building for senior adults. This at least makes the town look better. If they bring in a type of business that is lacking in the area, then okay.

There are 2 things that really disturb me. One is to destroy the natural beauty of the land just for the sake of development. If the number of stores, restaurants and other businesses is sufficient, then there is no reason to keep adding on. What is wrong with having trees, lakes, parks and meadows? If they really want to develop something, tear down something crappy looking and replace it with something better. The other is to have houses on top of each other. I've seen cities with houses built next to each other or piled in so close you have no privacy. This is ugly. There should be minimum lot sizes and if you are going to build a street of houses, at least make the area look attractive.

Sussex County is billed as people and nature together. It had better stay that way.
Maybe we should start a rumor of how ugly the area is
and no one would want to go there
I know what you mean about the dd coffee shops
They are even putting them in gas stations and supermarkets

Have you ever stopped at one of the road side places with the home made pies and sweet corn ? if so how were they

Well again
I did enjoy my trip up there and
if i don't here back from you
I will let you know how the pie's are on Sunday

Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Maybe we should start a rumor of how ugly the area is
and no one would want to go there
I know what you mean about the dd coffee shops
They are even putting them in gas stations and supermarkets

Have you ever stopped at one of the road side places with the home made pies and sweet corn ? if so how were they

Well again
I did enjoy my trip up there and
if i don't here back from you
I will let you know how the pie's are on Sunday
I'm all for starting that rumor

Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
LOL You people
LOL, I was thinking the SAME thing but I didn't want to be the troublemaker again.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Just curious....don't you think that if you keep posting how great Tennessee is that alot of Jerseyites will move there and that it will become New Tennessee?
Oh my God you are so right, charlotte and union county where we live well it is another NY and NJ well Florida and ohio too...LOL

but you get what I mean, dont advertise its a great place to live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey