Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 30,336 times

Advertisements

Hi there, were relocating to NJ from the UK and have pretty much settled on Morristown. Were looking for a 2 bed apartment/ house and have about $300. Any areas that we should avoid. Ideally we'd like to be able to walk to shops/restaurants....any advise on specific districts or where to look (websites for apartments would be much appreicated!) We dont have kids so proximity to schools isnt an issue! Thanks in advance! Lucy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyO View Post
Hi there, were relocating to NJ from the UK and have pretty much settled on Morristown. Were looking for a 2 bed apartment/ house and have about $300. Any areas that we should avoid. Ideally we'd like to be able to walk to shops/restaurants....any advise on specific districts or where to look (websites for apartments would be much appreicated!) We dont have kids so proximity to schools isnt an issue! Thanks in advance! Lucy
Lucy

Can you please clarify your situation for us? Are you looking to purchase a place, or to rent? The $300 - is that $300 a month for rent, or $300K purchase price of a home? It might be good to look at the sticky thread on this forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents so that you can provide us with further details so that we can truly provide you with useful responses.

KoalaNJ

Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Aploogies.....clearly written late at night after a glass of wine!

OK - I'll try again. We are Brits, currently living in Malawi, but moving to NJ in Jan 2013. My husband is a tea taster and will be working in Florham Park. Were pretty much decided that Morristown will suit us, were young, no kids and want somewhere with a bit of community, livliness, restaurants etc!

We'll be renting, and have about $3000 pm for this (plus bills) but ideally a bit less, would be good to find a 2 bed apartment or house that is walkable from The green, Morristown. Simon will get a compnay car, i'll be looking to work too - so think we may need to purchase another car, unless public transport is good, which Ive heard its not!

Any advise on specific districts (or ones to avoid) or where to look (websites for apartments would be much appreciated!) We don't have kids so proximity to schools isn't an issue! Thanks in advance! Lucy

Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:

OK - I'll try again. We are Brits, currently living in Malawi, but moving to NJ in Jan 2013. My husband is a tea taster and will be working in Florham Park. Were pretty much decided that Morristown will suit us, were young, no kids and want somewhere with a bit of community, livliness, restaurants etc!

We'll be renting, and have about $3000 pm for this (plus bills) but ideally a bit less, would be good to find a 2 bed apartment or house that is walkable from The green, Morristown. Simon will get a compnay car, i'll be looking to work too - so think we may need to purchase another car, unless public transport is good, which Ive heard its not!

Any advise on specific districts (or ones to avoid) or where to look (websites for apartments would be much appreciated!) We don't have kids so proximity to schools isn't an issue! Thanks in advance! Lucy

The Metropolitan at 40 Park and the Vail Mansion would be great for you. Both are in downtown. You will need to find a realtor or maybe www.Trulia.com will work to find a rental in Vail...that's a condo property, but a lot of owners are renting their units. That location is EXCELLENT. The Metropolitan The Metropolitan at 40 Park | morristown new jersey is rental community right in the center of town. It has parking (so does Vail). Give them a call...they're probably offering concessions like one month free, which can be amortized into the face rent effectively reducing your monthly rental payment.

Use this website to check for other rentals in the area. There a lots of choices in the Morristown area.Morristown Apartments For Rent - Find Apartments for Rent Near Morristown, NJ - ForRent.com

I worked in Florham Park and lived in Morristown for several years. Great town...one of the best in NJ. You'll love it.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Yes, it does sound like Morristown will be a great fit for your needs and wants. In addition to MiamiLIFE's recommendations of the condo's at Vail Mansion and Metropolitan at 40 Park there are a couple of other new bldgs you may wish to consider. AMLI on the Plaza, http://www.amli.com/apartments/new-jersey/plaza/ is located a block from the Morristown Green, (the center of downtown) and within an easy walk to the train station. The Highlands at Morristown Station is another good option. www.highlandsatmorristownstation.com/ It is located 2 blocks from the Green, and right across from the train station. There are some other older apartments in downtown which are perfectly wonderful, but do lack a bit of the modern amenities the ones mentioned above provide. There are also some wonderful large old homes just south of the green in a charming quiet neighborhood that have been converted to apartments - plenty of charm, and being just off the green you are close enough to everything but you will enjoy a quieter neighborhood. To find those rentals check out Apartments & Condos for Rent Listings - NJ.com If you stay close to the green and train station, you may be able to avoid purchasing a car, especially if your employment ends up being in NYC, Newark, Jersey City, or Secaucus. As I am sure you already know, downtown Morristown has wonderful shopping and restaurants, as well as the Mayo Center for the Performing Arts Mayo Performing Arts Center There is a nice upscale supermarket, Kings www.kingswebsite.com within a short walk from the green as well. There is some nice new places that have been built off Franklin Street by the hospital, but then you'd be a little further from downtown and the train station.

About the only places to avoid in Morristown is a small area known as "the Hollow" located around the intersection of Spring St and Martin Luther King Ave. and there is a small section over on Speedwell Ave, that is a little on the seedy side - not really dangerous, as in Newark, just not the best neighborhood. If you have concerns over a specific property you are considering, just ask, we'll be happy to let you know about the area. I know finding housing while you are halfway around the globe is difficult at best.

KoalaNJ

Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Yes, it does sound like Morristown will be a great fit for your needs and wants. In addition to MiamiLIFE's recommendations of the condo's at Vail Mansion and Metropolitan at 40 Park there are a couple of other new bldgs you may wish to consider. AMLI on the Plaza, http://www.amli.com/apartments/new-jersey/plaza/ is located a block from the Morristown Green, (the center of downtown) and within an easy walk to the train station. The Highlands at Morristown Station is another good option. www.highlandsatmorristownstation.com/ It is located 2 blocks from the Green, and right across from the train station. There are some other older apartments in downtown which are perfectly wonderful, but do lack a bit of the modern amenities the ones mentioned above provide. There are also some wonderful large old homes just south of the green in a charming quiet neighborhood that have been converted to apartments - plenty of charm, and being just off the green you are close enough to everything but you will enjoy a quieter neighborhood. To find those rentals check out Apartments & Condos for Rent Listings - NJ.com If you stay close to the green and train station, you may be able to avoid purchasing a car, especially if your employment ends up being in NYC, Newark, Jersey City, or Secaucus. As I am sure you already know, downtown Morristown has wonderful shopping and restaurants, as well as the Mayo Center for the Performing Arts Mayo Performing Arts Center There is a nice upscale supermarket, Kings www.kingswebsite.com within a short walk from the green as well. There is some nice new places that have been built off Franklin Street by the hospital, but then you'd be a little further from downtown and the train station.

About the only places to avoid in Morristown is a small area known as "the Hollow" located around the intersection of Spring St and Martin Luther King Ave. and there is a small section over on Speedwell Ave, that is a little on the seedy side - not really dangerous, as in Newark, just not the best neighborhood. If you have concerns over a specific property you are considering, just ask, we'll be happy to let you know about the area. I know finding housing while you are halfway around the globe is difficult at best.

KoalaNJ
good advice....

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 AM

Thank-you to you both, yes its not that easy house hunting while sat in Malawi! But your advise is much appreciated and ill be in touch again if I have any further questions..... Cheers

Old 01-29-2014, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,260 times
Hi,

I live in PA and recently i found a job in Florham park NJ. I am planning to move to Morristown. I am looking for a place to buy. My budget is around 225k. My realtor showed me a place close willow street but she told me that this is bad area in Morristown. Is the area known as 'the hollow' in Morristown relly bad like Camden or Newark? What is the crime rate around those area? What kind of community live in the hollow areas? Is mugging or any other criminal activity common over there. Any suggestion would be really helpful.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhillies View Post
Hi,

I live in PA and recently i found a job in Florham park NJ. I am planning to move to Morristown. I am looking for a place to buy. My budget is around 225k. My realtor showed me a place close willow street but she told me that this is bad area in Morristown. Is the area known as 'the hollow' in Morristown relly bad like Camden or Newark? What is the crime rate around those area? What kind of community live in the hollow areas? Is mugging or any other criminal activity common over there. Any suggestion would be really helpful.

Willow Street is within the area known as the Hollow. Right behind one side of Willow all the homes back to the very busy NJ Transit tracks, and just the other side of the RR tracks are the projects. (govt. housing) The Hollow is well known for drug and gang activity, as well as muggings, home break-ins, car break-ins, car thefts, and fights. While the area is not as bad as Camden, it is not a place to be - especially after dark. Look for a different house to purchase - especially if you have kids.

To be perfectly honest, you will have difficulty finding a nice home anywhere in Morris Co, close to Morristown/Florham Park within your budget, let alone one that is in a good neighborhood, has good schools, and reasonable taxes. It is not impossible, but they are few and far between. In order to give you truly good and useful recommendations, it would help if you took a look at the sticky at the top of this forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and provide us with your answers to the questions. With the further information on your needs and desires, I am confident many forum posters will be more then willing to help you by offering suggestions that fit your situation.

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey