Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM

146 posts, read 626,275 times

Advertisements

Looking for any information on this, I'm pretty green on how to go about this. Last thing I want to do is cause my taxes to go up. I have noticed houses near me are assessed lower.

So, how do I find out what the assessed value calculates to? What is the best way to build a case -comps based on Market Value, or assessed value, or lot size, or recent sales? Is it a formal process or does it vary by town?

Thanks in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,271 times
My friend used an attorney for the appeal and he would only charge if there is reduction. Worked out well for him.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
Looking for any information on this, I'm pretty green on how to go about this. Last thing I want to do is cause my taxes to go up. I have noticed houses near me are assessed lower.

So, how do I find out what the assessed value calculates to? What is the best way to build a case -comps based on Market Value, or assessed value, or lot size, or recent sales? Is it a formal process or does it vary by town?

Thanks in advance..
I did my tax appeal myself, but it was easier for me than for some others because I'm in a condo; therefore, I had exact comparables. Saved me a few hundred dollars a year.

It's not a matter of what anyone thinks is the best way to build a case, it's a matter of what is required to present your case. In Monmouth County, it was submitting three to five comparable sales that had taken place within the last year or previous year, I forget which. Start by going to your county website and searching on "tax appeal". (Or use Google and use "tax appeal" as an exact phrase and the name of your county in the other words or vice versa.)

In Monmouth County, tax appeals have to be submitted each year by May 1st--I don't know if that's statewide or just my county. I was able to upload everything--my info, comparables--online. There was a fee of $25 to file.

I didn't have a lawyer, but depending upon the value of your home and the complication of your appeal you might want one. When I went to the tax appeal hearings at the courthouse, it was interesting to see how it was done. Mine was a piece of cake, because I have a $175K condo that had been assessed at $196K previously. They actually approved mine electronically in advance of the hearing, but because my township's computer wasn't working properly, the municipal attorney hadn't been able to electronically sign it and I didn't know it was approved so I showed up for the hearing. I'm glad, though, because I got to watch the process with others.

Apparently your worst mistake is to assume that the county commissioners aren't going to thoroughly check out your claim. One woman (who had a lawyer with her) was trying to get her $890K home reassessed at $670K. The commissioner kept coming back at her by knocking down some of her comps; e.g., "Your house has a full finished basement and the house you are using as a comp as no basement at all." In other words, do your homework before your hearing, because the county most certainly will.

In the end, they don't make a decision right then and there anyway--they tell everyone that they will hear back within six weeks.

I don't know how it works with a lawyer's fee--as someone else said, maybe they don't charge if you don't win. But with a $25 filing fee, if you really think you are assessed higher than the comps in your area, I'd say it's worth a shot to try.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks - I willl start doing my homework.

How would you find information like the fact that surrounding homes had finshed basements or not? I am going by zillow which has sq.footage, tax assessment and not much more. We are assessed significantly higher than surrounding homes, even a home which is much larger (land and house). We have done no work to our house (other than touch ups like paint, repairs) since purchase years ago. I think I might have a case. Plus one house that recently sold (the one that is bigger than ours) had to drop their price 50% to do so. The only thing is if you convert assessed value to MV (based on town's ratio which I found online) it is reasonable as in not way above market. But when I compare our assessed value to surrounding homes (only 3-4 in immediate area) we are not in line.

I was hoping to avoid hearing and lawyers, but I'll call the town and dig around. Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Also, if you are successful on appeal, do they backdate?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Also, if you are successful on appeal, do they backdate?
Yes--I don't know exactly to when, but I got credited on my next two quarterly tax bills.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks - I willl start doing my homework.

How would you find information like the fact that surrounding homes had finshed basements or not? I am going by zillow which has sq.footage, tax assessment and not much more. We are assessed significantly higher than surrounding homes, even a home which is much larger (land and house). We have done no work to our house (other than touch ups like paint, repairs) since purchase years ago. I think I might have a case. Plus one house that recently sold (the one that is bigger than ours) had to drop their price 50% to do so. The only thing is if you convert assessed value to MV (based on town's ratio which I found online) it is reasonable as in not way above market. But when I compare our assessed value to surrounding homes (only 3-4 in immediate area) we are not in line.

I was hoping to avoid hearing and lawyers, but I'll call the town and dig around. Thanks!
I don't know the answer to that (how you find out about things like basements). Unless you sneak around their house in the dead of night when they are away and peer in windows.

But the county was able to find out.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,931 times
I did this successfully in Bergen County. You missed this years deadline which was April or May.

A realtor is your best friend in this because you'll need comps. They will be able to tell you if that house has a finished basement because they can look at listing pictures, same as the tax assessor probably.

All in all it is not different than going to fight a traffic ticket in the sense that you meet with the tax assessor, he goes over your paperwork says you claim is for too much, I will offer you this much, take it or get ready for the actual court hearing. I took the deal as my comps were a serious stretch just like Mightyqueens 860k scenario.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks! Makes sense on realtor re: basements etc. And I like the idea of meeting up with assessor and being given your options before having to go to the hearing. Too bad on missing the deadline, but guess April isn't that far after years and years.

Only thing I'm nervous about (hopefully irrationally) is that they'll meet with me and say, wait a minute we haven't reassessed you in a long time, so taxes are going up now, thanks for reminding us! lol.

Good for all of you who successfully got it lowered..I had always thought you couldn't fight these things.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM

24 posts, read 32,198 times
x2 on using a realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey