Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,985,542 times

Advertisements

Also, for those of you who are on the DNCR list, I suggest taking 3 seconds to go here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

...which will take you here:

Click on "Verify Registration" to make sure that your registration didn't expire or disappear. I thought I was current on this list too but I had to re-register my phone number. Just a heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow, thanks! Please update after you file, and hope you can get them to stop calling you.
Thanks! I filed a complaint with both the FTC/DNCR and the FCC last night. I will update if/when I get a response.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
It's a scam. It's not PSEG or JCP&L. Maybe what you should do is let PSE&G and JCPL know about it.
That's a good idea. I wonder if either PSEG or JCPL are aware this is going on? I'm pretty sure the whole thing about "government deregulation" making it possible for people to switch providers is true, but I wonder if PSEG and JCPL are aware that this company, whoever they are, are trying to trick people into thinking it's PSEG or JCPL calling people and making it seem like it's PSEG and JCPL giving discounts out of the goodness of their hearts, as opposed to a 3rd party entity trying poach customers and offering (most likely temporary) lower rates.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
How do I put a stop to these calls I to am on the DNCR list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeregracht View Post
IS THERE NO RELIEF FROM THIS SORT OF THING OTHER THAN RIP MY PHONE WIRE OUT OF THE WALL?

There is no real way to make them stop. Like I said in my OP, blocking these numbers is a temporary and non solution because this company has an infinite number of phone numbers to call you. If you block one number, they'll just use another one to call you.

FYI, though, if you have Verizon Wireless, you can go online (you have to set up an online account if you haven't already done so; it's easy to do and you are not required to do online/auto payments if you don't want...it's merely a way to view your account online), and use the BLOCK CALLS feature to block up to 5 phone numbers, at no charge, for 3 months at a time (after 3 months you have to resubmit the numbers for blocking):

Other phone companies probably have a similar feature, whether for cell phones or landlines.

But again, this is a band aid. It doesn't solve anything.

And getting a live rep on the phone to tell them to remove your number from their calling list does nothing. They won't do it (even though they are required to comply with your request).

The only thing you can do is file complaints with the FTC/DNCR and the FCC and hope that they put these locusts out of business.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 08-22-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnepatrice View Post
i got the same pse&g call. They were saying i qualified for lower rates. They kept asking me for my account number.

I'm like, "if you are pse&g you should know my account number!" and i would hang up. They would call right back.

It's rediculous and very annoying!

Exactly.

Never give any account numbers or any other info to anyone over the phone.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think there is a way for a caller to make their caller ID appear as anything they want. Have you tried to search the NPA NXX website to see if these are real exchanges? Also I think you can commercially buy an ISDN and the equipment to break it down to many separate phone lines and give these numbers a number of their own.
Thank you for this info!!

I guess this what they mean by "spoofing" telephone numbers. There's gotta be some kind of regulation against that. I don't know. There should be.

I didn't know about the NPA NXX website. I checked some of the numbers on my list. As expected, most of them are not real exchanges...e.g., all the 1##-#### numbers are fake.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM

19,208 posts, read 25,497,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I got the same PSE&G call. They were saying I qualified for lower rates. They kept asking me for my account number.

I'm like, "If you are PSE&G you should know my account number!" and I would hang up. They would call right back.

It's rediculous and very annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Exactly.

Never give any account numbers or any other info to anyone over the phone.

Whether you want to consider it to be rediculous, or bluediculous, or greendiculous, you should never mention an account number over the phone to one of these charlatans.

For many years, we have had "phone slamming", which involves the involuntary switching of someone from their regular phone company to another, unrequested phone company.
I predict that the next phenomenon will be "utility slamming" which will involve the involuntary switching of customers from PSEG or JCPL to one of these fly-by-night scammers.

Don't give out account information unless you want ridiculous and undesirable things to take place with your utility billing.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM

1,009 posts, read 711,939 times
I forgot to mention that as of yesterday and today I have been getting calls where they hide their phone number and all I get is silence on the other end of phone and when I don't pick up once again goes into my vm and no messages.. So how can I stop these nuisance calls ?

These two numbers are always calling me and do not speak or leave a message.

206-397-1131
973-786-1525

I see they are on your list Docendo.

Last edited by shopalcholic; 08-22-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
I forgot to mention that as of yesterday and today I have been getting calls where they hide their phone number and all I get is silence on the other end of phone and when I don't pick up once again goes into my vm and no messages.. So how can I stop these nuisance calls ?

These two numbers are always calling me and do not speak or leave a message.

206-397-1131
973-786-1525

I see they are on your list Docendo.
See my posts above.

If you have Verizon Wireless, you can block up to 5 phone numbers (for 3 months at a time), at no charge. However, this won't solve the problem.

Refer back to captne76's post on page 1 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think there is a way for a caller to make their caller ID appear as anything they want. Have you tried to search the NPA NXX website to see if these are real exchanges? Also I think you can commercially buy an ISDN and the equipment to break it down to many separate phone lines and give these numbers a number of their own.
This company has the ability to spam you with an infinite number of phone numbers. You can block 100 numbers if you want. They can still call you.

And it doesn't matter if you're on the DNCR list. Companies like this are most likely using auto dialing software to automatically mass dial a bunch of telephone numbers at once. A computer doesn't care, or know, that you're on the DNCR list.

The only way to get these calls to stop is for everyone to file a complaint with both the FTC/Do Not Call Registry and the FCC.

Again, see my posts above.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:02 PM

A new number they started using today is 425-320-5045.

This is in Washington State. So is the 206-397-1131 phone number.

Again...you see? The fact that they are using Washington State phone numbers to spam us in NJ goes to show that they can, and will, use any phone number at all to call consumers with this gas & electric scam. Obviously, nobody in Washington State would have anything to do with your gas & electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey