Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,987,362 times

Advertisements

My SO and I are looking to move to Edgewater, NJ in the next couple of months.

He currently pays $800 for an apartment in Jersey City (not so good part) and I live at home (in Hackensack) and have been saving for our move.

His salary is $105K yearly, so he brings home about $5000 per month.

I make approx. $33K yearly and I bring home about $2000 per month.

So our combined monthly is a little over $7000.

We are looking to spend about $1800 per month, no less. But we haven't discussed more yet.

If we can't find a place in Edgewater for this amount, where are some other places we could consider moving? I have found one apartment in Edgewater for $1600 but the other ones are no less than $1900.

We have looked into Hoboken, but I don't think it's good since we both have cars and parking there gets a little crazy (he lives very close by).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 62,484 times
I lived in Edgewater a few years back and I think its possible, but probably not along River Road.. speaking of which, you do realize that there is really only two roads through Edgewater and traffic can be really brutal? That being said, I really liked living there and its amazing how much that town has changed over the years. Other more moderate options could be Weehawken & Cliffside Park, which would have better options for public transportation as well...

Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,292,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
My SO and I are looking to move to Edgewater, NJ in the next couple of months.

He currently pays $800 for an apartment in Jersey City (not so good part) and I live at home (in Hackensack) and have been saving for our move.

His salary is $105K yearly, so he brings home about $5000 per month.

I make approx. $33K yearly and I bring home about $2000 per month.

So our combined monthly is a little over $7000.

We are looking to spend about $1800 per month, no less. But we haven't discussed more yet.

If we can't find a place in Edgewater for this amount, where are some other places we could consider moving? I have found one apartment in Edgewater for $1600 but the other ones are no less than $1900.

We have looked into Hoboken, but I don't think it's good since we both have cars and parking there gets a little crazy (he lives very close by).
Look in Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Englewood/Englewood Cliffs, Teaneck...and why not Hackensack? One of the high-rises on Prospect St.? What about Paramus? River Edge? Where are you both commuting to?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny76 View Post
I lived in Edgewater a few years back and I think its possible, but probably not along River Road.. speaking of which, you do realize that there is really only two roads through Edgewater and traffic can be really brutal? That being said, I really liked living there and its amazing how much that town has changed over the years. Other more moderate options could be Weehawken & Cliffside Park, which would have better options for public transportation as well...
Thanks. I was considering Weehawken as well but I think he has his heart set on Edgewater, and I will look into Cliffside Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Look in Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Englewood/Englewood Cliffs, Teaneck...and why not Hackensack? One of the high-rises on Prospect St.? What about Paramus? River Edge? Where are you both commuting to?
I'm commuting to Wall Street or South Ferry in Manhattan (Financial District) so I could take the ferry to work and it would be an easy commute. Living in Hackensack, I take both the bus & the train, and it would help me cut down costs immensely for transportation since I would only take one mode.

My SO commutes to Montvale, NJ but he drives to work everyday and I don't think he minds it. It doesn't take him TOO long to get to/from work from where he lives now in Jersey City.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I was considering Weehawken as well but I think he has his heart set on Edgewater, and I will look into Cliffside Park.

I'm commuting to Wall Street or South Ferry in Manhattan (Financial District) so I could take the ferry to work and it would be an easy commute. Living in Hackensack, I take both the bus & the train, and it would help me cut down costs immensely for transportation since I would only take one mode.

My SO commutes to Montvale, NJ but he drives to work everyday and I don't think he minds it. It doesn't take him TOO long to get to/from work from where he lives now in Jersey City.
I get your point about Hackensack. Same would apply to Paramus and River Edge. Rush hour traffic, but you are close. Any of those commutes -- from Cliffside, Fort Lee, Edgewater -- would be OK for you. Not bad at all. From Englewood or EC, yes, you might his a bit of bridge traffic, or River Road traffic, trying to get to the ferry. I am not counting costs but between the bus to the ferry, or a drive to the ferry, vs. bus and train -- it might be six of one and half dozen of the other. Not sure. Maybe your SO is going to drop you off at the ferry. I don't know.

Driving to Montvale -- from any one of those towns -- piece of cake! It's a reverse commute from any one of those towns. JC to Montvale might not be. You can hit tunnel traffic, local, etc. If you head to the NJ Tpk or GSP -- you are heading north and that's rush hour traffic. Same with 1&9, River Road, etc.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I get your point about Hackensack. Same would apply to Paramus and River Edge. Rush hour traffic, but you are close. Any of those commutes -- from Cliffside, Fort Lee, Edgewater -- would be OK for you. Not bad at all. From Englewood or EC, yes, you might his a bit of bridge traffic, or River Road traffic, trying to get to the ferry. I am not counting costs but between the bus to the ferry, or a drive to the ferry, vs. bus and train -- it might be six of one and half dozen of the other. Not sure. Maybe your SO is going to drop you off at the ferry. I don't know.

Driving to Montvale -- from any one of those towns -- piece of cake! It's a reverse commute from any one of those towns. JC to Montvale might not be. You can hit tunnel traffic, local, etc. If you head to the NJ Tpk or GSP -- you are heading north and that's rush hour traffic. Same with 1&9, River Road, etc.
Thanks! I'm going to definitely look into all three cities.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to definitely look into all three cities.
All good options. Those should be the key three to look at. Look at the surrounding areas as well. You never know what you might find. All of a sudden you are driving through Englewood and next thing you know you find something great in Tenafly, or something like that. You might be driving through Cliffside Park and you stumble upon something in Fairview.

I like Cliffside Park, Englewood/EC, and Edgewater.

Each has likes and dislikes. Like with shopping or downtowns -- I think the best downtown is Englewood. The biggest or most is probably Edgewater as it runs all along River Road, but it's not a walkable downtown like Englewood (although you have a few like City Place which is a more modern, walkable strip mall alternative). CP has "the avenue" which is Anderson Avenue. While it's undergoing a renovation it's more of an "old fashioned" storefront down town from days gone by, LOL (whereas as Englewood has a great number of more boutique-type stores. High rises will probably only be found in CP and Edgewater, many more in Edgewater.

All the best and good luck.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,151 times
There are many owners seeking to rent their condo in EW and $1800 is doable.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
I would think 1800 is totally within the range, especially for a 1 bedroom--you don't mention how many BR.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
There are many owners seeking to rent their condo in EW and $1800 is doable.
But where are these apartments listed? There is hardly anything on Craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I would think 1800 is totally within the range, especially for a 1 bedroom--you don't mention how many BR.
Just one bedroom but two would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey