Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times

Advertisements

Hi. I might sound like a hick, but can somebody tell me why NJ does not allow self-service gasoline stations? I don't care one way or another, I just read about it in another thread and wondered about the reasoning behind it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I personally don't know why, but I almost always refuse to stop for gasoline in NJ for that very reason, even though gas prices are MUCH lower in NJ than they are in Scranton, PA. I just feel like a "snob" sitting in my nice comfy car while some poor 'ole sap comes over in the scorching heat or freezing cold and looks at me with puppy-dog eyes while providing me with a service... I just get that "guilty" feeling, and I usually tip them pretty generously on occasions when I must indeed fuel up in NJ.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:04 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
I kind of like it--much better than having to worry about your hands smelling like gasoline.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I usually tip them pretty generously on occasions when I must indeed fuel up in NJ.
Oh please don't start that crap! Soon they'll start expecting it! The reason for full service is jobs. Full service = jobs. They're not white collar high-salary jobs, but they're jobs.

I love having full service. Whenever I take an out-of-state trip I'm sure to fill up before crossing the border. Why pay more to pump gas myself? What's snobby about it? SWB, do you forego the Wendy's drive thru in favor of heading inside for the same reason?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,657 times
Snobby? I don't get that at all. And these people are working a job, I don't know why anyone would look down on that.

Why on earth would anyone want to pump their own gas. (You know what, don't answer that. ) I hate going into other states, it's terrible that everyone doesn't have this as an option.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:50 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I personally don't know why, but I almost always refuse to stop for gasoline in NJ for that very reason, even though gas prices are MUCH lower in NJ than they are in Scranton, PA. I just feel like a "snob" sitting in my nice comfy car while some poor 'ole sap comes over in the scorching heat or freezing cold and looks at me with puppy-dog eyes while providing me with a service... I just get that "guilty" feeling, and I usually tip them pretty generously on occasions when I must indeed fuel up in NJ.
LOL. That's pretty funny. Do you feel guilty about the cook having to make your food in a restaurant? How about the dishwasher washing your dishes? Or anyone else who works in the service industry? Should we ban all service industry jobs? Someone is getting paid to do a job. This is not slavery. If there is a better job for them, they can always quit.

How guilty will you feel when NJ allows self serve and this guy with the "puppy dog eyes" is on the unemployment line?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM

274 posts, read 855,513 times
The law in NJ is from 1949... I think when the pumps (and cars) didn't have as many safety features and the legislature wanted to prevent any foolish accidents. The law might be outdated now, but it provides a ton of jobs for people in NJ... it's better that the gas station guy is making $$ pumping your gas rather than searching for a job to help feed his kids! Also, since gas is so much cheaper here than in neighboring states, I think it's awesome that you can get your tank filled and your windshield cleaned for a lower price. Oregon has a similar law in effect, but I don't know the precise reasoning behind it.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Sometimes I just get out and pump my own. Especially if the guys look busy and are running around to serve everyone.

Many years ago, after WWII, my dad pumped gas to help put food on the table. It's all work if you're hungry.

Last edited by doc1; 08-13-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM

9 posts, read 36,124 times
Mid 90's I was home on leave from the USAF and stopped at a local gas station. Pulled into the station and the guy was BS with some of his buddies and made me wait. Got out of the car and started to pump my own gas.... he came runnin faster than a tornado in a trailer park.....

Old 08-13-2007, 10:37 PM

57 posts, read 309,749 times
An honest days work for an honest days pay.
What is this communist crap that you feel like a snob if you let someone pump your gas?
So go back to PA and pay more to pump your own and don’t support the working man/woman. A few more commies like you and maybe they institute self serve in jersey and the gas stations insurance goes up and now thousands of hard working people are out of work replaced by one person in a locked booth.

You feel like a snob? Go with the feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey