Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 33,924 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We currently live in Bergen County, and although we like our town due to home, taxes, school, and commute, we seem to not have the non-measured stats, i.e., down to earth neighbors, great community spirit, and the non "keeping up with the Jones" attitude.

We were thinking maybe Oradell, Glen Rock, or River Edge. We still want all of the above, but non-measured stats as well.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM

912 posts, read 2,447,460 times
No offense, but "down to Earth" is not one of the traits that comes to mind when Bergen County is mentioned.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by again1918 View Post
Hi,

We currently live in Bergen County, and although we like our town due to home, taxes, school, and commute, we seem to not have the non-measured stats, i.e., down to earth neighbors, great community spirit, and the non "keeping up with the Jones" attitude.

We were thinking maybe Oradell, Glen Rock, or River Edge. We still want all of the above, but non-measured stats as well.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
No offense, but "down to Earth" is not one of the traits that comes to mind when Bergen County is mentioned.
LOL, I used to write some articles for the Glen Rock Gazette and met a lot of people at community activities in that town. If ever a Bergen County town could be described as NOT having great community spirit and as having a "keep up with the Jones" attitude, it is Glen Rock. Biggest snobs to one another I ever met. I have an acquaintance who works in the school system, too--won't say her position, but she's more than a teacher. She would verify that, as well. Says the parents are absolutely hellish to deal with due to their sense of superiority and entitlement.

Not sure how things are in Oradell or River Edge. Don't know people there. You would do better in some of the less fancy towns like Midland Park or Waldwick, or the more southern BC towns like Rutherford or Lyndhurst if that's what you are looking for. Fair Lawn is another good choice. Bigger in population and area than some of the others, but very community-minded.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM

51 posts, read 111,624 times
Oakland or Mahwah probably.

Bergen County is great if you have money; awesome restaurants, close to NYC, shopping etc. but if you make less than $250,000 and dislike traffic, it's not for you so much. I'd come out to Morris County or West Essex.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM

337 posts, read 897,220 times
I'd say Mahwah, but I personally dislike Bergen County as a whole.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,663 times
"Great community" and "Down to Earth" are sadly not two characteristics that usually go together in Bergen County.

Oradell and Glen Rock are not two towns that I would describe as "down to Earth", and both towns definitely have a Jones mentality. River Edge might be a bit better in that regard, but not a whole lot.

As other have suggested, Oakland, Mahwah, Midland Park and Waldwick would be suggestions for nice towns that will reduce, but certainly not eliminate the Jones mentality. I'd add Fair Lawn, Westwood, Emerson, Paramus, and maybe Hillsdale (Hillsdale might have a larger degree of the Jones mentality).

Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times
Some parts of Mahwah are definitely NOT what the OP is looking for with regards to "keeping up with the Jones." The Fardale Section near Franklin Lakes and the Rio Vista area have too many million dollar homes to allow Mahwah to be in the "down-to-earth" category. The other part of town, especially near the Suffern border is a different story. The homes there are much more older and modest than what has been built in the town since the 1980s. Hence, if the OP is considering Mahwah, he or she should definitely look into what part of Mahwah is being considered.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:56 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Some parts of Mahwah are definitely NOT what the OP is looking for with regards to "keeping up with the Jones." The Fardale Section near Franklin Lakes and the Rio Vista area have too many million dollar homes to allow Mahwah to be in the "down-to-earth" category. The other part of town, especially near the Suffern border is a different story. The homes there are much more older and modest than what has been built in the town since the 1980s. Hence, if the OP is considering Mahwah, he or she should definitely look into what part of Mahwah is being considered.
Or try Stag Hill - keeping up with the Van Dunk's.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,599,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Or try Stag Hill - keeping up with the Van Dunk's.
Actually, the bottom of Stag Hill Road has some really nice homes. It is when you get to the top that you see the modest home of the Ramapough community.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
My aunt/uncle/cousins lived in the Fardale section when I was growing up. My aunt is still there.

My cousin's address was "RFD #1", and every years the whole area would stink because the farmers across the street would prep their fields with pig manure. The field behind them had horses.

Guess that's changed now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey