Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving closer to the shore.

We're considering Holmdel and Colts Neck. Range about $800s-900s and want a pool . We'd love to be closer to beach but want good-to-excellent schools, and more relaxed lifestyle (ie, less congested than northern NJ).

Any thoughts on:
1) Schools
2) Commute to downtown Manhattan (ferry?) or drive and take Path from NJ?
3) Adjustment to the area for families from Northern NJ.

We also like Rumson/Fair Haven but curious if they were hit hard with Hurricane. The inventory always seems limited (and not too many pools)...but it seems nice and location excellent for Ferry. So would consider that area also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM

OysterCatcher and MetsFan, curious if you found anything in the area.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,349 times
I lived in CN for about 7 years or so. My kids were in the primary school at the time. We were fairly satisfied with things. Holmdel High School has a much better reputation then CN.

My wife and I both came from Bergen County, and we never did really adjust to the "relaxed" lifestyle. It's a big reason for us moving back up North.

I can't comment personally on the commute to NYC, since neither of us did it. Lots of guys I knew in CN did commute to the city, and it makes for a VERY long day. On average, expect at least 1.5 hours each way.

Sorry to sound like such a downer.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM

Hi Hal, (love your name, it's a play on words right?)...

In what way do you feel the lifestyle was "relaxed" (or TOO relaxed)?

I'm not too impressed with curriculum information on CN's website (or maybe it's just too vague). Holmdel rated much higher, and may be better location for getting to ferry in AM. CN seems to have more housing that we like with nice pools and spacious flat properties.

School facilities in CN look beautiful - newish high school, tons of athletic fields etc. Also wouldn't mind Christian Brothers Academy as an option for one of my kids.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,349 times
yes, sreen name comes from a very old tape of prank phone calls made by the Jerky boys.

We thought we would adjust to not being close to a real downtown, with restaurants, shopping etc, but we really never did. The strip mall with the post office just didn't cut it. You need to drive your kids EVERYWHERE, because everything is so spread out, and there are no sidewalks.

We looked at Holdmel as well, but our thinking was similar to yours as to better housing options. I think CN is a prettier town as well, with a beter overall layout.

We are now in Westield and feel that the school system is far superior; our experience here so far has been very positive.

More house for your money with more land is what drew us to CN, but it turns out that wasn't enough for us. Our experience there wasn't horrible, and we know people who are very happy; many who moved from North Jersey like you are considering.

I did see you mentioned the Staten Islanders in your other thread; there are a lot of Staten Island transplants in CN. I personally always seemed to struggle to maintain a conversation with most of these folks. I like to run, hike, ski and very much enjoy being outdoors. When you meet someone with similar interests; obviously it's easier to have a conversation which is what leads to eventual friendship. Lets just say that I didn't seem to share too many common interests with most of the Staten Islanders.

You are correct in that the school facilities are fantastic. Both the primary school and the high school are very impressive. My kids still compain 2.5 years later about how old their school is now compared to CN.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
OysterCatcher and MetsFan, curious if you found anything in the area.
Nothing yet Snuff....still trying to sell my house- that's a whole different issues....for another post...

Fortunately- the inventory it Holmdel & FH are not much to look at right now- both # and quality wise......starting to come to grips w/ Middletown maybe.....

We looked at Colts Neck but were turned off by well/septic in every home we saw, the extra commute time and the schools not being as good and the fact that people from other towns can attend...... Scared to hear about the "Staten Island" factor....trying to escape SI......but nobody i meet ever thinks I'm from SI.....not a jersey shore extra I guess.......

Curious to hear what Oyster is up to...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Hi Mets,
Thanks for the update! Hmmm...didn't know that about students attending CN from other districts. Well/septic definitely a drawback too. I don't know much about the SI factor other than I have met a few that are very nice...but I hear about it in Monmouth as something to note because of so many moving there, so affects the culture...in what way I'm not sure.

Good luck with selling!

Your friend,
Snuffles

Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Nothing yet Snuff....still trying to sell my house- that's a whole different issues....for another post...

Fortunately- the inventory it Holmdel & FH are not much to look at right now- both # and quality wise......starting to come to grips w/ Middletown maybe.....

We looked at Colts Neck but were turned off by well/septic in every home we saw, the extra commute time and the schools not being as good and the fact that people from other towns can attend...... Scared to hear about the "Staten Island" factor....trying to escape SI......but nobody i meet ever thinks I'm from SI.....not a jersey shore extra I guess.......

Curious to hear what Oyster is up to...
Buying in F.H., I think the trade off on size of house and lot are worth the great small town experience.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Great!! Good luck with it Oyster!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 AM

127 posts, read 160,590 times
Do not rule out Lincroft or Little Silver - good schools, easy access to NYC - rail, bus, and GSP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey