Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
dls dls started this thread

90 posts, read 412,086 times

Advertisements

What areas or specific parts of the Atlantic City region are best (say, Margate, Longport, Ventor) if I am worried about storm damage (severe flooding, wind damage, etc.)?
Of course I am also looking for a nice safe place also, a good neighborhood. ($500-$600,000 roughly).
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
All of those towns are on the ocean and bay. One is not going to be magically safer from a potential storm than the other.

If you aren't willing to risk storms, don't live on the ocean. There are some nice towns inland.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
What areas or specific parts of the Atlantic City region are best (say, Margate, Longport, Ventor) if I am worried about storm damage (severe flooding, wind damage, etc.)?
Of course I am also looking for a nice safe place also, a good neighborhood. ($500-$600,000 roughly).
Thank you.
No safety on Absecon Island, which includes AC, Margate, Ventnor, Longport. The whole thing is a flood zone and none of it is all that much above sea level. I would probably look inland 10 or 15 miles to avoid direct exposure to coastal storms.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
All the towns could be at risk depending where in town. My bf lives in Margate and had only his laundry room (downstairs) flood a bit, but other houses got a lot of flooding. Same here in OC, some streets got pummeled and others were fine. Look online at the FEMA Maps that have the flood zones listed. Be very careful about this before you buy anything, as FEMA added a lot of areas that are not flood prone (historically) and the people who live there are up in arms as some may have to pay $30,000 for flood insurance, others are being required to raise their homes. Many will sell because they can't afford to, so may sure you check first. The maps are not set in stone yet, however, and most mayors down here are getting together to protest them with the state.

All those towns are fine, Ventnor probably has more crime due to proximity to AC. Longport is considered the wealthiest of them, but all have multi-million dollar homes as well as lower priced. Longport got much more damage from Sandy than Margate and Ventnor, and IMO it's the most "summer town" like of the ones you asked about, meaning there won't be as many occupied homes in the off season. Also consider Ocean City, it is probably the safest of all you mentioned and has involved and active yearly residents and a strong community feel (IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey