Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:36 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,865 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
All I ever knew of Jon Bon Jovi is he was some musician my uncle used to listen too. Apparently, he is a really awesome human being who hasn't allowed fame & fortune to rob him of his humanity.
At his restaurant, Soul Kitchen, patrons pay what they can, and if they can't they do some volunteer job for a meal voucher. Patrons are also asked to sit with strangers and try to get to know a little about each other at least for that one meal, so we learn that we should never judge a book by its cover. How awesome is he and all the staff?!
I plan to go there in the summer. Has anyone every went there? Please share your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,985 times
Jon does alot of charity work including the Soul Kitchen in Red Bank. Everyone is treated with dignity and respect.Jon Bon Jovi Soul Kitchen Bruce Springsteen also does extensive charity work with Community Foodbank of NJ. There are an absolutely phenomenal organization. Community FoodBank of New Jersey | Food. Help. Hope.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM

908 posts, read 1,556,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Jon does alot of charity work including the Soul Kitchen in Red Bank. Everyone is treated with dignity and respect.Jon Bon Jovi Soul Kitchen Bruce Springsteen also does extensive charity work with Community Foodbank of NJ. There are an absolutely phenomenal organization. Community FoodBank of New Jersey | Food. Help. Hope.
It really is wonderful to hear! I saw people from different ethnic & socio economic backgrounds sitting and eating together in the videos. I believe those who can pay a bit more than a meal is worth, probably do. When you do great things for others, great things come to you. I think going there would make a nice social studies lesson for my kids.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,635,355 times
Bon Jovi the honeybee farmer. He bought land in Middletown and used the old honeybee farmer trick to avoid paying his fair share of property taxes that fund the schools and police and local govt. His soup kitchen is obviously a tax write off.
[SIZE=3]NJ's 'fake farmers' — like Jon Bon Jovi — dodging millions in taxes[/SIZE]
www.freerepublic.com/focus/fnews/2733012/posts - Cached
NEPTUNE, N.J. (AP) — Spotty enforcement and an outdated state law allow ...
KEYWORDS: bonjovi; libtaxdodgers; progressivism; propertytax; taxdodgers; ...

Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Hi guys!
All I ever knew of Jon Bon Jovi is he was some musician my uncle used to listen too. Apparently, he is a really awesome human being who hasn't allowed fame & fortune to rob him of his humanity.
At his restaurant, Soul Kitchen, patrons pay what they can, and if they can't they do some volunteer job for a meal voucher. Patrons are also asked to sit with strangers and try to get to know a little about each other at least for that one meal, so we learn that we should never judge a book by its cover. How awesome is he and all the staff?!
I plan to go there in the summer. Has anyone every went there? Please share your experience.
I've passed Soul Kitchen, but I've never been in there.

Red Bank also has a much older soup kitchen/food pantry/other services organization called Lunch Break. It was started by a small Episcopal Church in Red Bank 28 years ago. Doesn't have anyone famous behind it, but it feeds people every day, provides clothing, helps people find jobs, etc.

Bon Jovi's also been doing a lot to help people whacked by Sandy. This is his neck of the woods.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM

69 posts, read 204,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Bon Jovi the honeybee farmer. He bought land in Middletown and used the old honeybee farmer trick to avoid paying his fair share of property taxes that fund the schools and police and local govt. His soup kitchen is obviously a tax write off.
[SIZE=3]NJ's 'fake farmers' — like Jon Bon Jovi — dodging millions in taxes[/SIZE]
Sounds like somebody's jealous...

Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Here comes a hater. Time for you to open your wallet to help people, too. And I'm not talking about taxes here. And if you cannot afford to open your wallet, then at least donate your time and volunteer to help. Or you could just keep ignoring hunger in America.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,635,355 times
Not a hater or jealous. Just don't put him up on a pedestal. BTW talk about volunteering i've been digging mud and sand out of peoples homes that were swamped almost daily from Sandy. I didn't say it's not a good thing he's doing with helping and feeding people, just pointing out that the civic duty Bon Jovi doesn't like to pay his full property taxes like the rest of us. Do you really think that honeybee farm is legit and honest?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Not a hater or jealous. Just don't put him up on a pedestal. BTW talk about volunteering i've been digging mud and sand out of peoples homes that were swamped almost daily from Sandy. I didn't say it's not a good thing he's doing with helping and feeding people, just pointing out that the civic duty Bon Jovi doesn't like to pay his full property taxes like the rest of us. Do you really think that honeybee farm is legit and honest?
It's great that you are helping out as a volunteer to help your neighbors who have been affected by Sandy. Good job by you, my friend. I hope that you will also consider volunteering to help eliminate the issue of hunger in America when your time/wallet allows. Volunteers are always needed at the above organizations. And if we stopped giving ridiculous tax breaks to big businesses like Monsanto who are poisoning you with carcinogenic foods, we could decrease your taxes, too. And don't forget that BonJovi is a "job creator". lol!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
I hope that you will also consider volunteering to help eliminate the issue of hunger in America when your time/wallet allows.
there is no issue of hunger in america. there is an issue of parasites in america who want other people to pay for their food. its amazing how cheap food is and how many fools will actually believe that there are people that cant afford it. also, the cheap stuff is the most nutritious stuff, so people who say that they cant afford the nutritious stuff are fools. oats are the one of the most nutritious foods on earth and they are about 80 cents a pound at aldi.

i remember an episode of chopped with lunch ladies. they were crying about how the kids need the food and thats their only meal for many of them. its not because the parents cant afford the food, its because the school is feeding the kids so the parents feel they dont have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: