Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,082 times

Advertisements

It happened to me today! I have no problem of paying my fine. After all, it was my fault.

However, Freehold local supplemental violations 228.8 for "Unregistered Vehicle" charges $124. While it was written on the ticket that New Jersey 3.4 "Unregistered Vehicle" is only $54. I was confused by the big difference between these two. Really? $124 for the same violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yCf View Post
I just went to the Freehold Raceway Mall for dinner. When I return to my parked car, I got a traffic ticket for "Unregistered Vehicle". I guess the cops must have nothing better to do than checking parked cars in a mall parking lot.

The sticker on my windshield says it expires in 1/13 but I have a "1 year extension" sticker right above it because this was a new vehicle I bought in 2009. The cop must have not seen the extension sticker (or needs a vision check).

So what should I do? Can I just send the township a letter with picture and other documentation and ask them to dismiss the ticket? Or do I have to take at least a half day off work to appear in court and fight this ticket that I should never have gotten in the first place?

Thanks for any advices in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Reading this again, if it happened on mall property i would fight it on the grounds that it was not on a public street and was not being operated on a public street. My 2 cents, but if it was parked and not on a public highway, you might have a chance. Of course fighting this involves time.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloneEdison View Post
It happened to me today! I have no problem of paying my fine. After all, it was my fault.

However, Freehold local supplemental violations 228.8 for "Unregistered Vehicle" charges $124. While it was written on the ticket that New Jersey 3.4 "Unregistered Vehicle" is only $54. I was confused by the big difference between these two. Really? $124 for the same violation?
Welcome to NJ, where being tried, convicted, and fined multiple times for the same offense is only a start.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,858 times
Quote:

not being operated on a public street
Malls routinely turn over enforcement of Title 39 to the towns allowing enforcement.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 PM

The fine schedule is set up in two ways. First is a state schedule for violations commonly on public roadways. Every town sets up ordinances specific to their town. These are the Supplementary Fine Schedules or the Town Ordinances. You do not pay both. Only what you are cited for and I see it as a fine of $100. I'm not sure if they include the other four additions that are included to the state schedules so I'd call Freehold.

Quote:

Freehold TO 228.8

Unless authorized by a sworn law enforcement officer, no person shall
operate, park, leave or be in possession of a motor vehicle which is
unregistered or has a suspended registration in any parking yards (lots) and
parking places, which are open to the public or to which the public is
invited, whether owned or maintained by a governmental entity or in
conjunction with any business or enterprise, whether public, quasi-public or
private

TO 228.11

The violation of this article shall subject the person so convicted, or
pleading guilty, to a fine of $100 for an unregistered vehicle and $175 for
a vehicle which has a suspended registration.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,082 times
Thanks! I understood that there would be a local supplemental violation schedule. I was surprised by the big difference between the statewide fine and the Freehold local one. $54 vs. $124 (Yes, it is $124 now. I guess $100 find was old history now). Put it in perspective, the fine for over-speeding by 19MPH is $105, for driving on cell phone call is $130. I just cannot believe Freehold would put $124 for a parking ticket.

But again, it was my fault. I will pay for it. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The fine schedule is set up in two ways. First is a state schedule for violations commonly on public roadways. Every town sets up ordinances specific to their town. These are the Supplementary Fine Schedules or the Town Ordinances. You do not pay both. Only what you are cited for and I see it as a fine of $100. I'm not sure if they include the other four additions that are included to the state schedules so I'd call Freehold.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I was surprised by the big difference between the statewide fine and the
Freehold local one.
Towns vary so I have no idea how others operate and I had little experience with the fine schedule but in our town, it's the opposite. TO's were lower than the state schedule. We only had TO's for parking because that is more town specific. I've never seen those types of violations on TO's but that means little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: