Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM

389 posts, read 664,040 times

Advertisements

Lots of posts this week. Thanks, as always, for the suggestions and information!

Seems like many of the sellers in the Scotch Plains / Fanwood / Westfield area are skittish about negotiating with a buyer with a home-sale contingency.

I think I need to start coming up with a backup plan for what happens should I close on the sale of my current residence and not yet have a new house lined up.

Any suggestions on how to find a (preferably short term) rental in the area? I am trying to avoid a brokers fee... Not much on Craigslist... Is there a local paper or something I should monitor?

Thanks all!
--k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 57,255 times
Short term rentals are difficult for a landlord. What's the incentive for the landlord to take a short term rental? He has to take his house off the market where he could get a long term tenant. Unless you're willing to pay more than the average rent or find a rental that's been sitting on the market for a while, you may have a chance.

You may be better off putting your stuff in storage and living in one of those long term stay hotels like homewood suites and candlewood.

Another option is hire a realtor to sell your case to the landlord or seller's agent. A realtor's fee in NJ is usually one month's rent on top of the security deposit, and first month's rent. Some areas the fee is split or the landlord agrees to pay for it.

If you're under contract at your current residence, then you can negotiate the next home contract based on the fact your home is closing and you have the ability to buy the next home.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,444 times
You might just want to sign a year long lease. Buying in the towns that you mentioned is not easy and can take a lot longer than you expect (just look at the posts here with all of the people being outbid). My advice would be to find a small/cheap/safe place and sign a year lease. Even if you get your place under contract, it is unlikely that the other person will move fast enough to get you in before your buyer wants to get in. Then you are even in a worse spot. In the best case you will find a new place in 3 months, and then push a 3 month closing, and then you will usually carry both places for a month while you move and paint and such. You then east 5 months rent or make a deal with the landlord to pay the realtor fee to get someone else in (they love this since "no fee" places usually get higher rents)

Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 AM

this is where I am headed, I think. If we buy and need more than 2 months between closing on our current place and closing/move-in ready on the new place, this might be the best option.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Talking follow up

Sooo.....

We ended up signing a 6 month lease in Westfield. Of course, unlike 90% of folks in a similar situation, we actually did find a great house and are now under contract (less than 2 months into our lease!).

So, if anyone is looking for a short term rental in Westfield, please PM me! I need to find someone to lease my apt!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,815 times
when would you be moving - my house is on the market and if it sells I will need a place for about 2 months or more while I do work in my new home before I move in. Also, does your place take pets?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowietrance View Post
when would you be moving - my house is on the market and if it sells I will need a place for about 2 months or more while I do work in my new home before I move in. Also, does your place take pets?

Based on the date when Sirk98 last posted on this topic, and the stated 6 month lease, I would venture to say that he moved from that apartment no later than March, 2014. Then again, since it appeared that he only wanted to stay in that apartment for about 2 months, he may actually have vacated the apartment before the end of 2013.

It's always a good idea to check the dates of posts that you are responding to.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Retriever is correct

If it helps, I was staying in a complex called 'Duncan Hills' in Westfield. They were fairly reasonable in terms of rent, but not terribly flexible when I broke the lease--which I understood and accepted when we signed.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM

they do offer lease terms down to 3 months

Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM

747 posts, read 847,141 times
We have rented in Union County short term. If you need a realtor, please contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey