Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
If they only had a package with Discovery Channels, Smithsonian, other educational channels, and Comedy Central, I'd love it. All the other channels are crap. Even TLC has mostly crap reality shows that have nothing to do with learning.

you dont find hoarders, extreme couponing and strange habits a learning oppurtinity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
you dont find hoarders, extreme couponing and strange habits a learning oppurtinity?
I was in Albany all weekend, staying at a hotel with my elderly mother (my daughter graduated from college). We put on the History channel, and all that was on were endless episodes of Pawn Stars, which I did enjoy. But how is that HISTORY? OK, some of the things that come in are historical items, but c'mon.

Oh yeah, and my uneducated divorced working-mother self who raised her daughter in a (gasp) RENTED home in a not-top-tier Bergen County town--with the help of the high-school dropout grandmother as daycare--got to watch her kid graduate summa *** laude with two degrees yesterday. So there. Yeah, I'm bragging and off-topic. Hehehe, it's my thread.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was in Albany all weekend, staying at a hotel with my elderly mother (my daughter graduated from college). We put on the History channel, and all that was on were endless episodes of Pawn Stars, which I did enjoy. But how is that HISTORY? OK, some of the things that come in are historical items, but c'mon.

Oh yeah, and my uneducated divorced working-mother self who raised her daughter in a (gasp) RENTED home in a not-top-tier Bergen County town--with the help of the high-school dropout grandmother as daycare--got to watch her kid graduate summa *** laude with two degrees yesterday. So there. Yeah, I'm bragging and off-topic. Hehehe, it's my thread.
Good going, City-Data.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Quote:

Congrats to your daughter! I know you are beaming with pride.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
LOL, my mother in law watches those shows. I can't abuse my brain like that.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
LOL, my mother in law watches those shows. I can't abuse my brain like that.
I have no patience with the hoarders. I want to put them in a straightjacket and just let them scream it out while the bulldozers and dump trucks come in. None of this one-at-a-time "Do you want to keep this glass dish or can we give this one away?"

Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I have no patience with the hoarders. I want to put them in a straightjacket and just let them scream it out while the bulldozers and dump trucks come in. None of this one-at-a-time "Do you want to keep this glass dish or can we give this one away?"
I have a bad book addiction, not dirty, can't find your shoes hoarders addition, but I can't part with my books. There were 6 of us growing up, and even though my parents both worked, they couldn't afford much after bills, necessities, and savings. I LIVED in the library growing up. When I started working at 14, I bought books(and shoes) every chance I got. I relaxed on the shoes since having kids, but the books are my 1st love, and my kids have inherited my book addiction. We have books neatly in shelves in every room, on every floor, the basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor & attic(no doubles). My bathroom has a neat caddie of books, and yes they are more than decoration. The book addiction runs in the family. My sister's husband just threw a bunch of hers away, that she wanted to pass on to me so she can save them, and "visit" them. I guess our husbands plotted behind both our backs to get rid of the books. If my husband touches my books, it will be war,lol. I may be too neat & clean for "Hoarders", but it is a bit of a problem.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Good going, City-Data.
latin words are evil!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I have a bad book addiction, not dirty, can't find your shoes hoarders addition, but I can't part with my books. There were 6 of us growing up, and even though my parents both worked, they couldn't afford much after bills, necessities, and savings. I LIVED in the library growing up. When I started working at 14, I bought books(and shoes) every chance I got. I relaxed on the shoes since having kids, but the books are my 1st love, and my kids have inherited my book addiction. We have books neatly in shelves in every room, on every floor, the basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor & attic(no doubles). My bathroom has a neat caddie of books, and yes they are more than decoration. The book addiction runs in the family. My sister's husband just threw a bunch of hers away, that she wanted to pass on to me so she can save them, and "visit" them. I guess our husbands plotted behind both our backs to get rid of the books. If my husband touches my books, it will be war,lol. I may be too neat & clean for "Hoarders", but it is a bit of a problem.
That's NOT a problem, nor is it hoarding, that's TREASURE.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
I had a bad book addiction, too. Since we live in a tiny two-room apartment, that is a problem. So I finally broke down and got a Kindle two years ago. Of course, that makes it even easier to buy books 24/7 And the Kindle books are usually cheaper than the bookstore books. My Kindle can hold over 3,000 books!

Of course, I also hit all the Montclair used book sales. Montclair is king of the used booksales!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey