Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

Hello...

I'm new so please forgive any mistakes...

I'm thinking about relocating to Lakewood, New Jersey. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments???

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,672 times
Are you black or jewish?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Michaels View Post
Are you black or jewish?
Ding-ding! It's a slum inside a shtetl.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:20 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
Lakewood is a toilet

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
It depends where in Lakewood you are moving to and if you have a family or not. If you are single and moving near the Brick border it is fine. I live here and absolutely love where I live. I have no children and I do all my shopping, errands, etc in Brick mostly. The public schools are beyond horrible and there are sections of town that I would not drive in at night with my door locked and windows up. That being said, where I live I have never felt unsafe or had any issues at any time of the day or night. One of my neighbors says the only thing wrong with this place is the zip code. There is a large orthodox Jewish population here but you get used to it. They mostly keep to themselves and live in their own communities.

If you are single or married without children and are moving to the area near New Hampshire Ave/rte 70 (NOT Woodlake or Regency - BAD complexes) then you'll be fine but if you have kids or are looking into the downtown areas don't do it.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Michaels View Post
Are you black or jewish?
Actually, Lakewood has more Hispanics than blacks.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,593 times
You say bout Lakewood, New Jersey. But I don’t understand about your question. Are you want to come back?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Lakewood is not a bad area at all. It's a little on the poor side, but not nearly as ghetto and dangerous as most urban New jersey municipalities.

It's a shame how a significant community of the town shuts themselves out and effectively stifles any chance of Lakewood's improvement, though.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Lakewood is not a bad area at all. It's a little on the poor side, but not nearly as ghetto and dangerous as most urban New jersey municipalities.

It's a shame how a significant community of the town shuts themselves out and effectively stifles any chance of Lakewood's improvement, though.
Even worse than that, the school board is half made up of this separate, privately-educated community and they definitely do not have the wishes of the other half of the town in mind.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
It depends where in Lakewood you are moving to and if you have a family or not. If you are single and moving near the Brick border it is fine. I live here and absolutely love where I live. I have no children and I do all my shopping, errands, etc in Brick mostly. The public schools are beyond horrible and there are sections of town that I would not drive in at night with my door locked and windows up. That being said, where I live I have never felt unsafe or had any issues at any time of the day or night. One of my neighbors says the only thing wrong with this place is the zip code. There is a large orthodox Jewish population here but you get used to it. They mostly keep to themselves and live in their own communities.

If you are single or married without children and are moving to the area near New Hampshire Ave/rte 70 (NOT Woodlake or Regency - BAD complexes) then you'll be fine but if you have kids or are looking into the downtown areas don't do it.
I agree. Near Brick is fine. I have family living practically across the street from Brick and they love it. They spend a lot of time in Brick, the shore towns (Mantoloking, Bay Head, Pt Pleasant, etc), and parts of Lakewood, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey