Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,119 times

Advertisements

My SO is considering a transfer to Newton. I'm from south Jersey (Moorestown) so I'm not familiar with the area. It's just the two of us, plus our dog. We'd like to rent something within a 15 mile radius-any suggestions? Need it to be affordable. TYVM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiobabes View Post
My SO is considering a transfer to Newton. I'm from south Jersey (Moorestown) so I'm not familiar with the area. It's just the two of us, plus our dog. We'd like to rent something within a 15 mile radius-any suggestions? Need it to be affordable. TYVM!
please fill out http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html so we can give more info. what is affordable to you? sussex county is mostly rural, but some ideas coming to mind are newton itself (you could look at 18 Washington Street, Newton NJ - Trulia and 1064 County Road 521, Newton NJ - Trulia and 57 Fairview Avenue, Newton NJ - Trulia) or sparta (84 Sparta Avenue #102, Sparta NJ - Trulia or 63 Lake Shore Drive, Sparta NJ - Trulia) or blairstown in warren county (6 Bridge Street, Blairstown NJ - Trulia or 25 East Street, Blairstown NJ - Trulia or 171 Hope Road, Blairstown NJ - Trulia) or sussex (20 Main Street, Sussex NJ - Trulia or 2 Hamburg Avenue #4, Sussex NJ - Trulia or 47 Lakeview Drive, Sussex NJ - Trulia or 22-24 Walling Avenue, Sussex NJ - Trulia).

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM

65 posts, read 96,200 times
Northwest New Jersey is rural and very conservative - perhaps the reddest part of a blue state. That's just an FYI that I always tell people who are coming from other areas of New Jersey just so that it's out there. There are farms and farm stands everywhere, houses with lots of property and beautiful national parks and trails to hike. The population is majority white and relatively affluent depending on the area. Crime is low other than some issues with drugs and DUI's. And certain areas are full of very...unsavory types. Not sure how to describe it- parts of Newton, Franklin and Sussex come to mind.

House prices have gone down here but rent prices seem to have stayed fairly high. It depends on a lot of factors including your budget, but in my humble opinion, the Byram/Stanhope area is far better than Newton, Sparta, or the town of Sussex. Hardwick, Frelinghuysen/Fredon would be a close second.

I am looking to move out of the northwest New Jersey area myself, but if I can help any more please let me know!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
Northwest New Jersey is rural and very conservative - perhaps the reddest part of a blue state. That's just an FYI that I always tell people who are coming from other areas of New Jersey just so that it's out there. There are farms and farm stands everywhere, houses with lots of property and beautiful national parks and trails to hike. The population is majority white and relatively affluent depending on the area. Crime is low other than some issues with drugs and DUI's. And certain areas are full of very...unsavory types. Not sure how to describe it- parts of Newton, Franklin and Sussex come to mind.

House prices have gone down here but rent prices seem to have stayed fairly high. It depends on a lot of factors including your budget, but in my humble opinion, the Byram/Stanhope area is far better than Newton, Sparta, or the town of Sussex. Hardwick, Frelinghuysen/Fredon would be a close second.

I am looking to move out of the northwest New Jersey area myself, but if I can help any more please let me know!
really? i'd say no to sussex, it's depressing there, and newton is not the best place in the world, but sparta is fine, probably the most suburban part of this rural county.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Sussex County is vacation land to me. Used to work there and it was like being on vacation going there. Sometimes the other coworkers would have summer parties, etc. Rural, country, I never found it depressing like the other person mentioned.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 41,821 times
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are considering moving to Johnsonburg New Jersey and I am looking to get some more information on living in that area.
It is close to Blairstown, Newton and I would be interested in hearing more about these towns as well.

We have two young children and we are interested in hearing about what the lifestyle is like there, local restaurants, schools, community groups, or what the commute is for other items like grocery stores, movies etc.

Any tips advice or pictures of the area would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM

30 posts, read 71,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Sussex County is vacation land to me. Used to work there and it was like being on vacation going there. Sometimes the other coworkers would have summer parties, etc. Rural, country, I never found it depressing like the other person mentioned.
I think the other poster was saying that the TOWN of Sussex is depressing, not the county of Sussex. The town of Sussex does have its issues, but just outside of it is Wantage Twp. which is beautiful as is most of Sussex county. When I am having a bad day, I have to take a minute, remind myself how much good there is around and take a look at the gorgeous landscape. It puts it all back in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey