Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 AM

9 posts, read 35,726 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are relocating from the UK to NJ shortly. My OH will be working close to Penn NYC, so we have been looking at areas in NJ to live. Our big issue is that I don't drive - but we will have a car and as in the UK will do any grocery shopping etc at the weekends. We also have a 12 yr old and a dog too. We came over in March and had a look at several towns. The ones that seemed to be the best fit for us in terms of transport, schools shops etc. were Summit, Ridgewood, Westfield and Madison.

All of these towns have a YMCA, that I would been keen to join (I am a yoga teacher) as well as offering opportunities to volunteer. Alternatively, I could also volunteer at my daugher's middle school which is something that I have done in the UK. So, I can keep myself busy during the day without having to travel far and wide. I also need to be able to take our dog for a walk each day too!

I would like hear from anyone who has lived in these towns as to which town may be better for us. Like I say, we have visited them all, but as you know a short visit and actually living there are two different things. I am also aware that the winter can be very cold, but more of a concern would be snow (although my OH can work from home if weather is dire so would be able to drive our daughter to school if that's even possible!)

Many thanks and keep up the good work - this forum has been extremely helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
Hi all,

We are relocating from the UK to NJ shortly. My OH will be working close to Penn NYC, so we have been looking at areas in NJ to live. Our big issue is that I don't drive - but we will have a car and as in the UK will do any grocery shopping etc at the weekends. We also have a 12 yr old and a dog too. We came over in March and had a look at several towns. The ones that seemed to be the best fit for us in terms of transport, schools shops etc. were Summit, Ridgewood, Westfield and Madison.

All of these towns have a YMCA, that I would been keen to join (I am a yoga teacher) as well as offering opportunities to volunteer. Alternatively, I could also volunteer at my daugher's middle school which is something that I have done in the UK. So, I can keep myself busy during the day without having to travel far and wide. I also need to be able to take our dog for a walk each day too!

I would like hear from anyone who has lived in these towns as to which town may be better for us. Like I say, we have visited them all, but as you know a short visit and actually living there are two different things. I am also aware that the winter can be very cold, but more of a concern would be snow (although my OH can work from home if weather is dire so would be able to drive our daughter to school if that's even possible!)

Many thanks and keep up the good work - this forum has been extremely helpful
Those are all beautiful towns with nice downtowns and great schools. Did you see the "sticky" at the top of the New Jersey forum?

Questions For Future and Potential Residents

If you give us the answers to those questions (especially budget), that can help us answer your questions better

Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
I thought abour Washington Town Center in Robbinsville but up to now I still don't know if the place has mass transit for commuters to NYC. If Toll Brothers and Avalon can offer shuttle service to the nearest NJT train stop, why wouldn't WTC?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I thought abour Washington Town Center in Robbinsville but up to now I still don't know if the place has mass transit for commuters to NYC. If Toll Brothers and Avalon can offer shuttle service to the nearest NJT train stop, why wouldn't WTC?

Wouldn't that be a long commute?

OP, I was a member of the Madison YMCA as a kid and it was great! However, I'm sure all of those towns have great ones.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM

It's a longer commute than Summit, but offers more space, newer housing stock and a newly developed town center with amenities. I don't think WTC is unbearable. I have many co-workers who live in Manalapan, Katonah and Yorktown who trade a longer commute for better accomodations. The main problem I forsee is the possible lack of mass transit options. See comment about shuttle. I don't know if WTC offers such.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM

9 posts, read 35,726 times
Hi,

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't fill in the sticky as we have already researched areas with reagrds to all the points made in the sticky and by searching this forum, with the result being that we have pretty much decided on one of the four towns listed. I was really interested to hear how folk thought I would get along without the use of a car during the day in any of those towns and whether one town stood out as being the best for walking around in. When we visited them they all seemed to have trains, shops, school and YMCA all within walking distance of each other. I have no idea what these areas are like in the winter though. I know that there can be quite a lot of snow and wondered how efficiently the snow gets cleared etc...

Many thanks for any information.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
Hi,

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't fill in the sticky as we have already researched areas with reagrds to all the points made in the sticky and by searching this forum, with the result being that we have pretty much decided on one of the four towns listed. I was really interested to hear how folk thought I would get along without the use of a car during the day in any of those towns and whether one town stood out as being the best for walking around in. When we visited them they all seemed to have trains, shops, school and YMCA all within walking distance of each other. I have no idea what these areas are like in the winter though. I know that there can be quite a lot of snow and wondered how efficiently the snow gets cleared etc...

Many thanks for any information.
I would add Morristown to your list. It has a very walkable downtown and a train station that is just under 1 hour to Penn Station. If your OH is working close to Penn then Motown is a very viable option and it affords you that downtown experience that you're seeking. Plus, it is a very dog friendly community. Morristown is home to the seeing-eye dog train school. I think the seeing-eye dog concept may have actually started in Motown. There is a statue in the town square erected in honor of the founder of the seeing-eye dog school.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM

478 posts, read 1,230,306 times
Montclair is 45 min to penn station and,with 4 village areas and 5 train stops, very walkable. My kids have walked to school and the convenience store alone since they were 8 and 9. We have many Brit expats here (there is a Cornish pie shop and a Brick Lane curry shop). I'm not sure what you've heard about the snow, but, with the exception of a few winters back, it's little more than an occasional inconvenience. Most years, you'll look forward to a good snowfall. I'd be happy to be more of a resource for Montclair if you are interested.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Montclair is 45 min to penn station and,with 4 village areas and 5 train stops, very walkable. My kids have walked to school and the convenience store alone since they were 8 and 9.
Which areas would be walkable to the school?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM

478 posts, read 1,230,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Which areas would be walkable to the school?
The HS? Well, anywhere within a mile radius of Chestnut and Park, I guess. Kids walk from very expensive neighborhoods on Upper Mtn and Erwin Park and also from less expensive neighborhoods closer to downtown. Walnut train station area and Watchung train station areas are "walk to HS".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey