Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM

53 posts, read 217,420 times

Advertisements

I know the RE market has really tanked in the recent times and may not have hit the bottom yet but I am looking for a 1 or 2 BR condo or apt to buy for investment purposes. After taking out the emergency funds for 6 months, I have 25K saved up for down pmt on less than $200K priced investment opportunity. Any areas that you know of within NJ I am open to discuss about them.

From what I've heard, apt or condos closer to public transportation are easy to rent out to since there is higher demand for them. Also there is better chances of getting professional people as renters as opposed to drug addicts if you are in good areas. Anyone know of the next hot RE city in NJ, please feel free to share.

Bob K: Understand you have been living in NJ for longest time, feel free to share your knowledge. We all benefit a lot fm your posts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Well, actually, I haven't been living in NJ for the last 3 months, but I'll chime in anyway.

If you're only looking to spend $200k, you're not going to find much- especially in towns/areas that will attract "professionals". Someone on here was talking about condos for $150k, but I don't know where they were. Maybe you could find something in a remote area of south Jersey or in some rundown areas of some towns, but neither of those would be prime rental/investment areas if you're looking for prime tenants.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, actually, I haven't been living in NJ for the last 3 months, but I'll chime in anyway.

If you're only looking to spend $200k, you're not going to find much- especially in towns/areas that will attract "professionals". Someone on here was talking about condos for $150k, but I don't know where they were. Maybe you could find something in a remote area of south Jersey or in some rundown areas of some towns, but neither of those would be prime rental/investment areas if you're looking for prime tenants.
if he's willing to go to 200k I can point him to small condos in atlantic highlands, I don't know how good of an investment a condo like that would be

Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM

53 posts, read 217,420 times
Default Pl give details

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
if he's willing to go to 200k I can point him to small condos in atlantic highlands, I don't know how good of an investment a condo like that would be
let me know what neighborhood that falls under and let me know more details. thx.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajthebam View Post
let me know what neighborhood that falls under and let me know more details. thx.
google is your friend, use it

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
There are places where you can find condo's/co-op's, etc. where you can buy, finance, and have positive cash flow from the day one. People will say you won't get rich, but most often those people aren't rich themselves so you have to take that with a grain of salt. Also, don't forget that while mortgage interest is deductible, you also get depreciation, and that, like everything else needs to be factored in.

I am not a broker, agent, consultant, etc. -- I am an investor/owner/etc. You have to do your homework and look around. Talk to people, look at neighborhoods, learn the marketplace, learn the rental marketplace, etc. -- and if you do your homework, you learn everyday.

You will probably not find this in the so called next hottest area, however, public transportation does seem to be an ingredient. I look at demographics as well. Commerce and industry is another aspect.

Someone just brought me a "portfolio" of 8 condo's -- all rented, all positive cash flow, etc. and it's in a neighborhood I kind of know. But I never would have found it had I not been talking to people, looking around, etc. I've bought in good and bad markets -- opportunities are always around. One person's trash is another person's treasure. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey