Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM

40 posts, read 154,078 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that some 51% of NJ residents want to leave. Why are they leaving and where are they commonly moving to? I live in Charlotte NC and it seems like we hav alot of NJ transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Cost of living would be number 1. The native North Carolinians I have met in my lifetime seem to know very little about life in the northeast. Things like property tax and housing are fairly low there and they can't imagine a life where that would not be true.

They don't know what it is like to live in NJ, NY, CT, MA. They are usually really surprised when people talk about the high cost in my experience. When you tell them what rents are like they act shocked. I have gotten the "get out of here" response many times like I must be kidding them.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Commonly moving to? I don't think there is a common place where everyone wants to move. There are trends but trends change from time to time. The shift in population is not an all of a sudden thing. Families tend to move to the southeastern states I would say but many other places too. NC, VA, FL are very popular. Single people move all over and always have. Retirees still like Florida quite a bit.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
1) Cost $1750 rent on a 48 mile commute 3-1.5 house and thats cheap
2) Cost $450 a month to heat the dern thing
3) Cost almost 6K a year taxes if I owned it. Owner told me his payment just went up +$300.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM

204 posts, read 774,008 times
New Jerseyean's wallets are quickly emptying due to ever increasing property taxes, car insurance costs, increasing tolls-they can only take so much. The governor and legislature of NJ think we all have an unending supply of cash.

NJ is forcing it's citizen's to leave.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Two reasons.
1. Property taxes.
2. The grass is always greener someplace else.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
to add, high auto insurance premiums.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
I would say many retired folks are leaving (my parents are), because unless you're making big money in your job, its too expensive to live here because of the property taxes.

But I would also venture to guess that MANY of the working age folks that move out of NJ eventually come back for work. I've looked to move to other states but there just aren't the number of jobs that I can find in NJ.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
I would say many retired folks are leaving (my parents are), because unless you're making big money in your job, its too expensive to live here because of the property taxes.

But I would also venture to guess that MANY of the working age folks that move out of NJ eventually come back for work. I've looked to move to other states but there just aren't the number of jobs that I can find in NJ.
I'll have to disagree with that last paragraph- while I'm sure "some" people move back, I don't think I'd quantify it as "many" in the way I think you're using the term (as in a "majority" of people move back). And the "number" of jobs available in a field is going to depend on the need for that field in that area, as well as the relative population in the area. You'll find a higher "number" of jobs in the NYC region for stock traders than you will in Charlotte, mainly for the first reason I mentioned, but also because the population in that area is tenfold. If you make an intelligent move (as opposed to the people who stupidly move to a new area without doing any research and then complain that they can't find work), there's no reason to move back "for work".

Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Well, Corzine said it was because of the weather. Shows you how in touch with NJ he is.

For me, I don't want to have to work at my career all of my life just for the privlage of living in NJ and enjoying good pizza.

I know way too many who moved out of NJ to enjoy a higher standard of living. i.e. they have a lot more say on where and how to spend their hard earned income as opposed to an oppressive, money hungry govt.

Some retort with "there's more to life than low taxes and low cost housing".

That's true if you can afford high taxes and high cost housing which I can, btw, on one full time income. There are many who can't even on two incomes so those women that want to be SAHMs and raise their kids are SOL or destined to be apartment renters.

What about them? Or non-government job retirees? Don't we want them in NJ?

There's more to life more than good pizza, bagels and proximity to NYC.

Last edited by doc1; 11-07-2007 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey