Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times

Advertisements

The 'metro areas' (which now means up to a 2 hour commute radius from major cities, thus much of the northeast and of course NJ) are often, and probably will remain, nerve racking and dangerous driving experiences. With the traffic density, 'got to get there now' attitude of many who 'never have enough time', me first/competitive life styles, high speed roads and cars, sprinkled liberally with the latest cell/text/GPS/even search engines and other computerized stuff, and many other factors, it is 'the norm'.

Those who hog the left lane and obstruct traffic flow, but also those who weave in/out at speed, dangerously ride the car in front (in any lane...), drive while surfing the web, talking/texting or operating their office in the car, and of course drive under the influence of ____ all add to the mix....and many more bad behaviors...all contribute to this wicked brew. Often the drive into and home from work is more stressful than the time at work.

While the updated law restricting left lane hogging is nice, it will not be easily enforceable nor (IMO) will the increased fine make much difference.

The best thing one can do is try to drive carefully and minimize contact with bad drivers of any kind, which admittedly isn't relaxing or easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
I can say that no one on the GSP today got the stay left when passing only memo - it was BAD and I was on the moving side - going up North was bumper to bumper tonight and it's only Sat - tomorrow will be a nightmare! I was coming south from the Tpke to exit 91 around 9:30 - 10 pm. Even going up there were a few that even after EVERYONE passed them on the right and cut back into the left lane in front of them still didn't move. SMH.....

Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 PM

151 posts, read 404,947 times
Wah wah wah. These comments about the slow left lane drivers don't suprise me. 75% of you are always in a rush no matter what. You need to learn to slow it down and enjoy life a little. Because you couldn't possibly emjoy life being an angry, agressive, and always in a rush person.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Wah wah wah. These comments about the slow left lane drivers don't suprise me. 75% of you are always in a rush no matter what. You need to learn to slow it down and enjoy life a little. Because you couldn't possibly emjoy life being an angry, agressive, and always in a rush person.
I was going around 72 mph in a 65 and there was a camper in the left lane that couldn't be doing more than 45-50 - that was extremely dangerous. I don't weave in and out and I stay with the flow. This isn't about the need to do 90 mph - it's about the dangers that slow drivers in the left lane create.

And judging 75% of people on this forum, criticizing us, dictating to us what constitutes an enjoyable life, making completely invalid assumptions about us and starting your post in an extremely childish way is your idea enjoying life to the fullest?

I'd rather drive a little over the speed limit and keep my integrity.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
Quote:

I drive a tractor trailer, it will not go faster than 68mph. I don't know how many times I've been behind people just "cruising along" at 55-60 in the center lane, keeping pace with the car in the right lane. I flash my lights and these people are just oblivious. NO, I CANNOT PASS YOU IN THE LEFT LANE ON A 3 LANE HIGHWAY!!
There is a big fine and points for that, haven't these idiots seen the signs that say "NO Trucks in left lane"?
I had one idiot, first put on his left signal, but didn't move, I guess he was telling me to pass him on the left?
Then he started playing the game of brake checks, let's see, I'm driving 60,000lbs, he's driving 4,000 or less, who's gonna win that game?????
People complain about big trucks, well how do you think all your goods get delivered???

I've just come to the conclusion that people who have horrendous motor vehicle accidents and die, deserve to, the only problem is they've probably already reproduced another generation of idiots like them!!

Most people seem to be oblivious to everyone and everything around them and are only concerned with themselves. I live in a condo complex that has a recycling bin for cardboard that says "Flattened cardboard" and they are always unflattened boxes, I can't figure how they all got through college if they can't read.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
and you need to stop worrying how fast someone may be going and drive in the proper lanes at the right times to keep the flow of traffic moving.

When you left lane [or middle lane] hogs see a truck in your rearview mirror, move to the right and let the truck pass. Stop being the speed police; it's not your job.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
As long as you keep your slow, enjoying of life in the right lanes (except when passing), leave the nannying to the duly appointed law enforcing nannies.

I, like many others, happen to be quite comfortable and relaxed while driving at high speeds. No anger here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey