Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 26,903 times

Advertisements

Hi - this is my first post - but thank you for making this such an informative forum.

I'm a Brooklyn transplant looking to move to Montclair, NJ with my family (incl a 2 year old daughter). I love some of the character of homes in "lower montclair" and the value for the money in the areas south of Bloomfield near the Glen Ridge border. I get through other posts that this is the area to be "avoided". I don't plan on hanging out on Mission St, but have walked down it a number of times during the day and evening and don't really feel concerned.

However, I'd love some advice from folks who know the area. How long has it been this way? Is it improving? Are people buying and renovating in the area - are there more budget-conscious city transplants thinking the way I am? Is the "nice" part of Bloomfield Ave slowly beginning to stretch towards Glen Ridge? Are the Police good at their job? Should you worry much about being alone in larger house near Glenfield park, or are fears people expressing largely overblown and reflective of a fear of the "other"?

My sense, from afar, is that the area is the "less desirable" part of Montclair, but still way better than much of NYC or other parts of Jersey - and the schools are still Magnet and the same. Can't seem to get a handle of whether it is literally isolated to several streets or whether issues bleed into the neighborhood.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
The overall crime rate in Montclair is extremely low. The areas to avoid are Mission St. and the area around the Bay St. train station. My neighbor has had his car broken into several times near Bay St. station. That area is also known for drug activity which is sometimes blatantly obvious if you drive around there. But in general, Montclair is very safe compared to other more urban areas.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times
Avoid areas like Mission Street, New Street, Elmwood, Pine Street area (at least the area near the Catholic Church). There is a lot of drug trafficking in those areas.

Just because you live in a worse area in Montclair, don't necessarily expect cheap rents from the landlords. I had very, very bad experiences with Montclair landlords -- rodents, roaches, no hot water (awful in the winter), no heat, water leaks, flooded basements -- but not necessarily cheap rents. The landlords don't fix things -- they don't have to.

The town doesn't make them fix anything.
I love Montclair for many reasons, but I will never live there again. Don't be surprised by seemingly sweet landlords -- when you first rent the place -- to turn into housing terrorists once you rent.

And if the rent is cheap (or even if it isn't, but in a bad neighborhood), I guarantee you will have vermin infestation. These landlords never exterminate their buildings!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:11 PM

114 posts, read 204,788 times
How big a radius around the Bay St. station should one avoid? Is Forest Ave. near the intersection with Glen Ridge Ave. too close? (I don't mean to threadjack, hopefully this info will be useful to OP as well.)

Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 26,903 times
Default More questions

I get that Mission and Pine (north of the station) are not ideal places to live in Montclair. However, what about Lincoln Ave, Irving St, Willowdale, Elm St, etc? Glenfield Park seems nice during the day. Nishuane Park seems nice. It seems like a very racially and socio-economically diverse community, and has proximity to the urban-like bustle of Bloomfield Ave. I just don't get the feeling from walking around after living in Brooklyn and Philly and parts of Somerville in MA that these areas feel any worse. Anyone who lives there able to respond? I'm looking to buy, not rent.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM

91 posts, read 375,844 times
There are fine, quality and affordable homes on streets like Lincoln, Irving and Willowdale. And the neighborhoods are peaceful and safe. I believe the area in the south end is improving more and more as inventory is low in Montclair and buyers from the city, who want to move there, are expanding into other parts of town.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exekia View Post
I get that Mission and Pine (north of the station) are not ideal places to live in Montclair. However, what about Lincoln Ave, Irving St, Willowdale, Elm St, etc? Glenfield Park seems nice during the day. Nishuane Park seems nice. It seems like a very racially and socio-economically diverse community, and has proximity to the urban-like bustle of Bloomfield Ave. I just don't get the feeling from walking around after living in Brooklyn and Philly and parts of Somerville in MA that these areas feel any worse. Anyone who lives there able to respond? I'm looking to buy, not rent.
Elm street is very close to the Mission/New street neighborhood, so avoid that (Pine Street is on the other side of Bloomfield Avenue. ) if you go on Gates avenue it gets better. I knew someone who lived on Lincoln and she liked it.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:

I'd avoid the area around Lackawanna Plaza, Glenfield Park and the Pathmark which is a bit sketchy and has drug trafficking issues. Lots of car break-ins and drugs/gang activity and the associated crime that brings. While it may look a bit seedy but "ok" in the light of day, you def. do not want to be in the area after dark.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

191 posts, read 697,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap02 View Post
There are fine, quality and affordable homes on streets like Lincoln, Irving and Willowdale. And the neighborhoods are peaceful and safe. I believe the area in the south end is improving more and more as inventory is low in Montclair and buyers from the city, who want to move there, are expanding into other parts of town.

I will second this - including Elm St from about Lexington up towards Lincoln and Lex as well. Avoid this square area - Elm St to Elmwood to Maple down to Pine over to Lackawanna Plaza and back up to Elm and Elmwood - however, I will say that I shop at Lackawanna and go to the Pig & Prince and have had no issues but I personally wouldn't go by myself at night. As far as cars getting broken into, reading the police blotter suggests that many thefts are a result of people forgetting to lock their car doors!

I have spoken to a few families that moved to this particular area from NYC to start families and raise their kids and they are very happy there. Also, because they are coming from a more urban area they are more keen to the importance of being aware of your surroundings and locking your car/house doors which so many residents in Montclair apparently don't do.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM

191 posts, read 697,857 times
Quote:
Hi - this is my first post - but thank you for making this such an informative forum.

I'm a Brooklyn transplant looking to move to Montclair, NJ with my family (incl a 2 year old daughter). I love some of the character of homes in "lower montclair" and the value for the money in the areas south of Bloomfield near the Glen Ridge border. I get through other posts that this is the area to be "avoided". I don't plan on hanging out on Mission St, but have walked down it a number of times during the day and evening and don't really feel concerned.

However, I'd love some advice from folks who know the area. How long has it been this way? Is it improving? Are people buying and renovating in the area - are there more budget-conscious city transplants thinking the way I am? Is the "nice" part of Bloomfield Ave slowly beginning to stretch towards Glen Ridge? Are the Police good at their job? Should you worry much about being alone in larger house near Glenfield park, or are fears people expressing largely overblown and reflective of a fear of the "other"?

My sense, from afar, is that the area is the "less desirable" part of Montclair, but still way better than much of NYC or other parts of Jersey - and the schools are still Magnet and the same. Can't seem to get a handle of whether it is literally isolated to several streets or whether issues bleed into the neighborhood.

Thanks
DO NOT WALK/DRIVE DOWN OR UP MISSION ST - EVER

If you are seriously interested in the area, go back and read the police blotters for the past year and you will see for yourself where to go and not go, also - talk to a few neighbors in the area you're drawn to and get the real deal. That's what I did before putting an offer on a house there and it helped tremendously.

Yes people are buying and renovating in this area, it is becoming more popular since many people are priced out of other parts of Montclair - also many people prefer the more down to earth vibe that can be found in the South End. From what I've seen, there seems to be a good 'community' feel there with some streets hosting block parties. Also, they are working to build up the South End Business District as well as the immediate area around Bay St station so that should help with bring the entire area up in value over the next 5-10 years assuming the town puts their money where their mouths are.

Montclair Master Plan: A Traffic Light At Watchung Plaza, Tons of Transit-Oriented Development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey