Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times

Advertisements

Makes me think of a community where they had a sign at the entrance Nob Hill, and someone either photoshopped or spray painted an S in front of the sign,,,,S Nob Hill

But seriously many places in NJ are quite down to Earth and relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis44 View Post
Interesting tdstyles, i grew up in Springfield and found it to be both snobby and not very good schools, not sure why you feel the opposite is true. When i say snobby i'm still talking about maybe a 25% minority, i don't believe anywhere the vast majority of people are snobs (well maybe Short Hills).
I have friends there and never got a snobby vibe there, most of the town is not wealthy enough to justify a snobby persona IMO(although that hardly stops anyone these days especially in our area). I live in Wayne and I'd say the same thing about the level of affluence in most parts of town not justifying snobbishness but it certainly still exists here. As for the schools my friends have/had kids at Dayton and have nothing but positive things to say about it. Maybe they are blowing smoke.. I don't have first hand experience there.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 07-02-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Monmouth County is nice but IIRC the ferry is like $600 month. But...Monmouth has lots of park space and depending on where you live you'll be minutes from the beach.

Also Waldwick in Bergen County is a small town, good schools, nice little downtown, low crime, minutes from all shopping in Paramus, has a train station. Close to Ridgewood but hardly any Snob Factor. Good bang for the buck among the "fancy" Bergen Cty towns.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 46,224 times
Wink Monmouth county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Monmouth county is wonderful if you like the outdoors. The ferries here that go to Manhattan leave from either Belford or Atlantic Highlands and you can definitely find something under $500,000. For the Belford ferry you would look at Middletown, parts of Holmdel (but that's more expensive). I live in Hazlet and it was an easy drive to the ferry. Atltantic Highlands is a little more South so you would look at that town or parts of Middletown. The ferry commute is fantastic, but it is expensive.
Dear IrishEyes thank you - that sounds great - definitely love the countryside. Just thought - will need to re-take our driving tests to be able to drive in the states apparently, so will probably need to live within walking distance to shops, stations for a few months - are there any nice parts for this temporary situation you could recommend?

Thanks again so much for taking the time to respond so helpfully!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Wink Waldwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Monmouth County is nice but IIRC the ferry is like $600 month. But...Monmouth has lots of park space and depending on where you live you'll be minutes from the beach.

Also Waldwick in Bergen County is a small town, good schools, nice little downtown, low crime, minutes from all shopping in Paramus, has a train station. Close to Ridgewood but hardly any Snob Factor. Good bang for the buck among the "fancy" Bergen Cty towns.
Thanks EBWick - will definitely look into that - sounds ideal!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Wink Fair Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Fair Haven in Monmouth County take the ferry right to Wall st
Thanks OysterCatcher - that sounds exciting - ferry would beat the ropey old UK trains which aren't long enough for most commuters to sit, and which even ban you from standing near the first class compartment!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishEscapee View Post
Dear IrishEyes thank you - that sounds great - definitely love the countryside. Just thought - will need to re-take our driving tests to be able to drive in the states apparently, so will probably need to live within walking distance to shops, stations for a few months - are there any nice parts for this temporary situation you could recommend?

Thanks again so much for taking the time to respond so helpfully!
Regarding drivers license, you should be able to get your Int'l Driving Permit before you come and that should cover you for a few months here until you get your license here.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Makes me think of a community where they had a sign at the entrance Nob Hill, and someone either photoshopped or spray painted an S in front of the sign,,,,S Nob Hill

But seriously many places in NJ are quite down to Earth and relaxed.
V. funny about Nob Hill - Nobs is a word for Snobs here too actually.

But Good! That's what I want to hear that most are relaxed - it's definitely about balance, so a few snobs are fine - just not a very obvious and in you face majority like here in Suffolk UK - loads of Range Rovers and new sports cars, nannies, one kid has Prince Andrew as god father, lots of hunting and hanging out together toasting their property portfolios - not very healthy for my son to grow up seeing quite thick, uneducated people so wealthy and thinking they're better, whereas it's mostly inherited wealth, or jobs gotten from being related to people etc.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Newark is close to Manhatten, not many snobs there. Branch Brook park has green fields and the Cherry blossom trees are nice in springtime.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Newark is close to Manhatten, not many snobs there. Branch Brook park has green fields and the Cherry blossom trees are nice in springtime.
I was thinking Bayonne but unfortunately no Cherry Blossoms....that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey