Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Could this congestion be partially caused by the slower moving vehicles? An efficiency of the Autobahn is that if you are not prepared to do 90+ you get the hell out of the left lane.
Well, I think this point is a matter of driver training. I am sure that some congestion is the result of people not properly following the rules of the road. Much of it though is simply do to congestion.

Quote:
Furthermore there are plenty of stretches of hghways in the US and even in NJ that you can absolutely drop the hammer.
Sure there are. I've done 176mph on I295 along a certain stretch when I wanted to see what I could top out at. It doesn't mean that there are really long stretches where "hammer down" is a good idea.

Quote:
I have driven in Germany...actually all through Europe on many occasions. I have never seen anyone follow the "recommended" speed limit, in fact this is the first I've even heard of it. You are absolutely correct about the cities, you do have to be vigilant when driving because the speed limit does come into play quickly once you get near a major city.
The "recommended" limit has been in place for a long time.

Quote:
Driving is also a privilege here in the US, not a right.
Agreed. I was referencing the attitude not the legal realities.

Quote:
Honestly the thing that makes driving in Germany harder than the US is the signs. They have freakin signs for everything and they look nothing like what they are supposed to be warning/signaling! I bet the reason getting a license is so hard is because figuring out what all their ridiculous signs are takes an AP level course.
The signs can be confusing, lol. As to why it's so hard to get a license a lot of it has to do with the cost of the classes coupled with the seat time with a professional trainer needed. In addition passing the test doesn't consist of parking and driving around the block, you need to be able to demonstrate an ability to control a vehicle in emergency situations.

Quote:
Believe it or not they have traffic lawyers in Germany too!
Of course they do. My point was that everyone complains about cops here handing out tickets randomly, when "driver paradise" Germany has far more uniquitous enforcement via camera systems and stiffer fines.

Quote:
That is a super cop-out, pun intended. There are many portions of the US highway system that could easily support those speeds safely for long, long stretches. 100's of miles at a time. Have you ever driven to Vegas from LA? Or through the midwest on my beloved and much talked about I80?
OK, I'll agree. There are plenty that could and there are plenty that couldn't. A lot of the roads here in NJ couldn't just based on how they are maintained not something inherent in their design. Ever hit a large bump or pothole at 130mph? Not fun.

Quote:
Since I am simply saying that it is possible for a country to function safer than the US without a speed limit, this comparison is irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that Germany operates safer than we do with no speed limit on large stretches of highway.
My point would be that you are not taking into account traffic density and all of the other myriad factors. I am in general agreement that speed limits in the US are artificially low. Me personally, I would love to see them be unlimited on certain roads...I know I could handle it. However, I don't think most people could and the limits are needed. They could be higher though. I think an increase to 80mph on most highways in NJ would be reasonable.

Quote:
Condescension aside, I find assumptions generally to be a bad idea
It was just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Actually I don't give a damn about the Autobahn. I don't need to play the autobahn card to conclude that speed limits on Interstate highways are set artificially low to allow the state to unjustly collect taxes. The speed limit on I-80 could easily be 90MPH and nothing would change, except drivers would be able to concentrate on driving safely rather than evading the trolls (spelling intended).

Even in NJ, they could be 90MPH in many areas. On the GSP near Newark? Don't be stupid and claim that I am suggesting 90 for dense urban areas. 75MPH would be a natural and safe limit there. However I-80 west of Fairfield? 90MPH. The GSP south of the Raritan River? 90MPH. Route 78 West of Summit? 90 MPH.

In rural states, 100 MPH would be fine.

And when the state designs artificially low limits that are effectively a hidden tax, the citizens have a right to use countermeasures to overcome the unjust intrusion by the state.

So I once again recommend the Trapster app for the Iphone, Ipad, and Android in order to allow people to drive safely at rational speeds given favorable traffic and weather conditions on Interstates and toll roads. While radar detectors and laser jammers are also available to very advanced drivers, I do not recommend them without the additional training to make their utilization effective. I also do not recommend speeding on secondary roads or residential/commercial areas. So no, you can't do 80 on Route 10 or Route 17. That would be unsafe and if the cops want to enforce there, I have no problem with that. Where it makes sense to restrict speed for real safety reasons, I'm fine with it.

Minor open rant: If you crusty farty feeble old/slow drivers do not like high speeds on the open highways, steer your Volvos on to Route 46 or Route 22 or Route 1/9 and stay the heck out of my way. At least stay out of the left lane.

Any decent car that is less than 10 years old and cost $20,000 or more is LOAFING at 80 MPH and absolutely safe to drive if the operator is paying appropriate attention.

I also don't want to hear about deer or bears. All Interstates should be solidly fenced to prevent ingress by 4 legged beasts. I recommend 8-foot high chain link, but I'll leave that to the fencing experts.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually I don't give a damn about the Autobahn. I don't need to play the autobahn card to conclude that speed limits on Interstate highways are set artificially low to allow the state to unjustly collect taxes. The speed limit on I-80 could easily be 90MPH and nothing would change, except drivers would be able to concentrate on driving safely rather than evading the trolls (spelling intended).

Even in NJ, they could be 90MPH in many areas. On the GSP near Newark? Don't be stupid and claim that I am suggesting 90 for dense urban areas. 75MPH would be a natural and safe limit there. However I-80 west of Fairfield? 90MPH. The GSP south of the Raritan River? 90MPH. Route 78 West of Summit? 90 MPH.

In rural states, 100 MPH would be fine.
So exactly how fast would you drive if the limit was 90? Am I to honestly believe that you will suddenly become the most law abiding driver in the world and delete Trapster off your phone? Cause, I'll be honest, if the limit was 90, I'd be doing 95-100 without question, maybe 105.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So exactly how fast would you drive if the limit was 90? Am I to honestly believe that you will suddenly become the most law abiding driver in the world and delete Trapster off your phone? Cause, I'll be honest, if the limit was 90, I'd be doing 95-100 without question, maybe 105.
My comfort level is rather slow. On the open road in NJ and NY my psychological comfort level seems to be 83MPH. That is, if I am not paying attention to my speed, and road and traffic conditions are favorable, and I am not thinking about enforcement, and look at my speedometer at random: It's usually 83 MPH. If there were no speed limit at all, I'd do 83 typically. It's safe, it's fast enough for me, and I am happy to stay out of the left lane and let you pass at 105.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

It was just an observation.
Yes and d' Nile is just a river.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
Quote:
My comfort level is rather slow. On the open road in NJ and NY my psychological comfort level seems to be 83MPH. That is, if I am not paying attention to my speed, and road and traffic conditions are favorable, and I am not thinking about enforcement, and look at my speedometer at random: It's usually 83 MPH. If there were no speed limit at all, I'd do 83 typically. It's safe, it's fast enough for me, and I am happy to stay out of the left lane and let you pass at 105.
Funny, I always end up at 82 mph

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Yes and d' Nile is just a river.
Just as a point of order I did say "most"...not all. You are obviously in the some.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I actually like Waze better than trapster.

And remember...they can only generate revenue if you are breaking the law.
Are you saying you are actively using an app on your cell phone while driving? Or am I missing how these things work?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you saying you are actively using an app on your cell phone while driving? Or am I missing how these things work?
Yes, wouldn't using the app while driving be breaking the law?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Any decent car that is less than 10 years old and cost $20,000 or more is LOAFING at 80 MPH and absolutely safe to drive if the operator is paying appropriate attention.

...Including those who are driving with severely underinflated tires?
And...how do you intend to measure/mandate/regulate the amount of attention that a driver is devoting to his/her driving?

I also don't want to hear about deer or bears. All Interstates should be solidly fenced to prevent ingress by 4 legged beasts. I recommend 8-foot high chain link, but I'll leave that to the fencing experts.

After we abolish all of those taxes that you oppose, I guess that The Fence Fairy will build those fences for us, gratis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey