Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,743 times

Advertisements

Relocating from the West Coast to the Morristown area. We've researched a great deal and found that Montville, Pequannock, East Hanover and Wayne meet our needs, though they are very different.

We are encountering a tremendous amount of bias against these areas. But understanding why is proving challenging, just quick comments like I wouldn't want my relatives to live there and the FLOODING. I understand and think I've quantified the flooding issue. It seems there is something else, something unspoken. Hoping someone can color in why these places are getting such a bad rap.

We are being treated as ridiculous for saying places like Madison, Chester and Basking Ridge aren't for us. But they aren't. Lovely, and we'll probably visit on the weekends some time, but living there isn't what we want.

Please shed some light on this perceived bias and what it is like to live in these places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Those areas are all very nice. Other than flooding in specific areas I can't understand why someone is against them. I lived in Hanover (Whippany) which is near East Hanover and have never heard negativity before. AFA Madison and Chester and Basking Ridge, they are probably more expensive, so unless it is your realtor (more $$$ house), I'm clueless as to why someone is giving you that advice.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Who are you getting this bias from? All of the towns mentioned are pretty regular places to live.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierpoint View Post
Relocating from the West Coast to the Morristown area. We've researched a great deal and found that Montville, Pequannock, East Hanover and Wayne meet our needs, though they are very different.

We are encountering a tremendous amount of bias against these areas. But understanding why is proving challenging, just quick comments like I wouldn't want my relatives to live there and the FLOODING. I understand and think I've quantified the flooding issue. It seems there is something else, something unspoken. Hoping someone can color in why these places are getting such a bad rap.

We are being treated as ridiculous for saying places like Madison, Chester and Basking Ridge aren't for us. But they aren't. Lovely, and we'll probably visit on the weekends some time, but living there isn't what we want.

Please shed some light on this perceived bias and what it is like to live in these places!

I may be able to shed a little light on why some people have negative feelings about some of those areas. Firstly, the main concern is that there are significant severe frequent flooding issues in several of the towns. Do not take this flooding lightly. Flood insurance is costly, and even if the home you live in does not flood, you will pay (lots) more in property taxes as your municipality must spend quite a bit of money on municipal services dealing with these frequent severe floods. Although your home may not be underwater, you may still be within a mandatory evacuation area, or at the very least, access to and from your home will affected, so being displaced on a regular basis would be the norm. Some homes that remain dry during floods are not able to be accesses as all roads leading into the area are impassible. (this includes access by emergency vehicles)

As far as negatives regarding Montville specifically, two things come to mind. One is that it is home to several cast members from the Real Housewives of New Jersey. Pretty silly reason, but yes there are those who judge an entire area based on a "reality" show. The second reason, and IMHO a more salient one is that there is a section of Montville that is pretty seedy. I'd avoid the Pine Brook area of the town, due to parts that are seedy, as well as some flooding issues in that section of town. Several of the "motels" on rte 46 are in fact SRO's, there have also been prostitution busts at those motels as well. There is also a couple of "Massage Parlors" in Pine Brook, with at least one that was busted for providing, um, "off the menu" services. I am not sure if it is in Pine Brook or just over the border into Fairfield, but there are a couple of adult book/video/novelty stores on 46 as well. SRO's, prostitution busts, massage parlors, "adult" stores interspersed with industrial bldgs - I'd call that type of area seedy. When you get to the central and northern parts of the township it is wonderful. Let me be perfectly clear, I am not knocking the municipality as a whole at all, I just recommend avoiding the lower Pine Brook, rte 46 section.

Hope this helps!

KoalaNJ

Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,743 times
Thanks for the quick reply. The feedback is coming from some old college friends and yes, the realtor. My friends can be a bit snobby. I'm surprised these towns aren't more popular given major freeway access, proximity and prices. We also heard that Wayne has really bad crime and a heroine problem, so we pulled crime statistics and actually, it seems pequannock's crime is the worst of the bunch. That surprised me. Thoughts?
Since you both are familiar, which one of these towns is your favorite and why? Thanks for the help!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. The feedback is coming from some old college friends and yes, the realtor. My friends can be a bit snobby. I'm surprised these towns aren't more popular given major freeway access, proximity and prices. We also heard that Wayne has really bad crime and a heroine problem, so we pulled crime statistics and actually, it seems pequannock's crime is the worst of the bunch. That surprised me. Thoughts?
Since you both are familiar, which one of these towns is your favorite and why? Thanks for the help!
The highway access out there was not always as good as it is today. Route 287 is relatively new. There is also minimal train access and NYC commuting is a bit of stretch which keeps prices down.

I wouldn't worry about crime in any of the towns mentioned. I don't know if there is a heroin problem specifically in Wayne, but its been a problem in the whole area lately, unfortunately.

I am guessing you are looking to buy on the high end. I would go with Montville or East Hanover if you are. Morris County property taxes are much better

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM

GiantRutgersFan brings up an interesting point. If you are looking at homes on the higher end of the spectrum, remember the old adage, by the worst home on the best block. If you are looking to purchase a home in a town where the median home price is ~500k, and you're looking at homes valued at 1+M, you will be looking at difficulties in selling it at a future point down the road. People purchasing higher end homes tend to want to be in communities where the majority of the homes are similarly priced. I know there are quite a few perfectly wonderful high end homes, (not in flood areas, or have other strikes against them) that have been sitting on the market for well over a year.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:

There is no bias, what you are hearing is nonsense, and I would deal with realities instead of vague ghosts that are not indicative of any reality. Pequannock away from flood zones is desirable and sought after, and so is Montville, East Hanover, and Wayne.

I prefer to be discrete, but "bias" against the towns you are referring to is unmitigated nonsense. Don't ask college friends about areas. All you'll get is dopey hearsay he said she said. Go and visit and talk to residents in neighborhoods you can afford and plan to consider buying in. You are doing yourself a disservice in the way you are gathering information because basically you are not getting any.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no bias, what you are hearing is nonsense, and I would deal with realities instead of vague ghosts that are not indicative of any reality. Pequannock away from flood zones is desirable and sought after, and so is Montville, East Hanover, and Wayne.

I prefer to be discrete, but "bias" against the towns you are referring to is unmitigated nonsense.
Marc unfortunately, is sadly mistaken. Although there are lots of areas within Pequannock that do not flood, there are several large areas with significant flooding issues. To wit: Township of Pequannock, Morris County, New Jersey - FLOOD INFORMATION 1,300 Pequannock homes are affected by N.J. flooding | NJ.com Pequannock NJ Real Estate - Homes, Townhomes, Condos, Neighborhoods and of course the FEMA maps shown here: http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...ixi_morris.pdf

KoalaNJ

On the FEMA map linked to above you can also spot the areas within Montville and E. Hanover that are designated flood zones. Here is a link for the FEMA map for Passaic Co, to check areas of Wayne. http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...xi_passaic.pdf

Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Marc unfortunately, is sadly mistaken. Although there are lots of areas within Pequannock that do not flood, there are several large areas with significant flooding issues. To wit: Township of Pequannock, Morris County, New Jersey - FLOOD INFORMATION 1,300 Pequannock homes are affected by N.J. flooding | NJ.com Pequannock NJ Real Estate - Homes, Townhomes, Condos, Neighborhoods and of course the FEMA maps shown here: http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...ixi_morris.pdf

KoalaNJ

On the FEMA map linked to above you can also spot the areas within Montville and E. Hanover that are designated flood zones. Here is a link for the FEMA map for Passaic Co, to check areas of Wayne. http://www.ready.nj.gov/pdf/mitigati...xi_passaic.pdf
I said Pequannock "away from flood zones". Not sure you read that correctly. For those neighborhoods away from the flood areas, the town is highly desirable. I know this from endless requests from buyers who can't find something in Pequannock in their price range and would really love to live there due to the excellent schools and convenient access to shopping, highways, and employment.

Pequannock only has 5.5 months of inventory right now, and the median home sale price in the last 12 months is $395,000, up from $375,000 for the prior 12 months. Desirable. Good market. Buyers want Pequannock.

Flood zones, bad. Neighborhoods away from flood zones, good. Very good. Same for Montville, same for Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey