Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM

9 posts, read 10,286 times

Advertisements

No reason to be a jerk. If I had roomates 1000 would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle820 View Post
No reason to be a jerk. If I had roomates 1000 would work.
The sarcastic comments may seem a little harsh, but asking to spend only 800 on rent in the NYC area (and wanting to be in a good, safe neighborhood, the works) is laughable to be honest. NJ is a very expensive state and to be that close to NYC will cost you more. You seem to have good areas in mind (I love Hoboken) but you don't seem to have the means to live in them. You brought up roommates, is that a legitimate possibility? If so, that increases rent money which increases the number of areas you will be able to afford.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,874 times
I moved to Dallas ft worth area few months ago and I am dreading to come back to jersey just because I miss all the conveniences of being in nyc metro.

Anyways, I dunno if you've been influenced with the cheaper costs of living in texas, but 800 a month will guarantee you a studio with lot of company from steroid cockroaches.

Personally I think Hoboken, north Bergen has better apartments. Why don't you move out to one of the suburbs in Bergen county? U can possibly find cheaper apts there.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,182 times
Just go on Craigslist and search for Jersey City apts with a max of $800. If you're lucky it will be a small studio in what most would consider a dangerous neighborhood. I assume you'd want to live in Downtown Jersey City which is much more expensive and desireable. Do a search on Craigslist for Downtown Jersey City and you'll see you might need to double your $800 for a place. Also, Hoboken, while lovely, is probably an additional 5-10% more expensive than Downtown JC.

As for the jobs, the tech job market here is very good right now provided you have a niche/specialization or highly marketable skills such as software dev.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 PM

273 posts, read 673,027 times
Everyone please read her initial post carefully - $750 - $800 contribution to a SHARE!!!

Your rent being about 1500 - 1600 per month for a 2 bdr or a decent sized 1 bedroom.

Hoboken - 1 bdrs a bit away from the PATH and Washington Ave are possible. Basically the further away you are from the water and further north from the PATH the cheaper the rents. With your budget you could get something decent though small not too far from public transport though. Most NYC like of all areas in New Jersey.

Jersey City - more affordable options occur downtown can be found once you are away from the Van Vorst historic district and the area of large hi-rises. As you head west of Grove street prices drop or near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel in that area. Only drawback quality of housing becomes more variable and transport options drop a little. Further out and good area if you want a place with a yard - Bergen Hill section of JC just south of Journal Square Path - near St Peter prep. Some lovely 2 families and apartment buildings there and walking distance to Newark Ave's Little India and a few old Italian standyby's and Filipino spots for nice ethnic eats. Biggest drawback is very limited nightlife - a few neighborhood bars, but this may be changing. Bergen Hill area may be one of your best bets for JC. TO save money a little into the Hieghts area can save you money about 1 mile north in an area sometimes called Sparrow Hill by realtors offers some very affordable spaces but again variable quality of housing stock but if you live near Manhattan Ave and well norh of Tonnelle you can get an express bus to NYC or grab small buses to Port Authority, also a 40 minute walk to Journal Square, drawback is not a ton of amenities except over on one of the main avenues to the east which seems to be slowly redeveloping.

Harrison - many new apartments near the PATH where two bedrooms , not far from the Ironbound in Newark. Some places to go to to the north in Harrison and Kearny but again a bit limited in night life. But easy access to Hoboken and NYC.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
Everyone please read her initial post carefully - $750 - $800 contribution to a SHARE!!!

Your rent being about 1500 - 1600 per month for a 2 bdr or a decent sized 1 bedroom.

Hoboken - 1 bdrs a bit away from the PATH and Washington Ave are possible. Basically the further away you are from the water and further north from the PATH the cheaper the rents. With your budget you could get something decent though small not too far from public transport though. Most NYC like of all areas in New Jersey.

Jersey City - more affordable options occur downtown can be found once you are away from the Van Vorst historic district and the area of large hi-rises. As you head west of Grove street prices drop or near the entrance to the Holland Tunnel in that area. Only drawback quality of housing becomes more variable and transport options drop a little. Further out and good area if you want a place with a yard - Bergen Hill section of JC just south of Journal Square Path - near St Peter prep. Some lovely 2 families and apartment buildings there and walking distance to Newark Ave's Little India and a few old Italian standyby's and Filipino spots for nice ethnic eats. Biggest drawback is very limited nightlife - a few neighborhood bars, but this may be changing. Bergen Hill area may be one of your best bets for JC. TO save money a little into the Hieghts area can save you money about 1 mile north in an area sometimes called Sparrow Hill by realtors offers some very affordable spaces but again variable quality of housing stock but if you live near Manhattan Ave and well norh of Tonnelle you can get an express bus to NYC or grab small buses to Port Authority, also a 40 minute walk to Journal Square, drawback is not a ton of amenities except over on one of the main avenues to the east which seems to be slowly redeveloping.

Harrison - many new apartments near the PATH where two bedrooms , not far from the Ironbound in Newark. Some places to go to to the north in Harrison and Kearny but again a bit limited in night life. But easy access to Hoboken and NYC.

Hope this helps.
The poster was not clear as to whether or not they were sharing 800 as in 400 each or 800 was half already, therefore making it 1600. Good suggestions though.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post

Actually, that is not what she stated.

First, she was unclear about whether $750-800 was the total rental cost, or if it would be her share of the total cost per month. Because it was unclear, I asked for clarification, and the OP then told us:

"My boyfriend lives in jersey city and I've seen places for rent for 800."

To me, that statement seems to indicate that she is looking to rent an apartment for that amount, and will contribute her share to that total rental cost of $800. When EBWick pointed out that this was unrealistic, she was not happy.

Read her initial post again, please!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmathew View Post
I moved to Dallas ft worth area few months ago and I am dreading to come back to jersey just because I miss all the conveniences of being in nyc metro.

Anyways, I dunno if you've been influenced with the cheaper costs of living in texas, but 800 a month will guarantee you a studio with lot of company from steroid cockroaches.

Personally I think Hoboken, north Bergen has better apartments. Why don't you move out to one of the suburbs in Bergen county? U can possibly find cheaper apts there.
No. You are not going to find an $800 apartment in Bergen County. I paid $750 for one bedroom in 1997.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. You are not going to find an $800 apartment in Bergen County. I paid $750 for one bedroom in 1997.
Be careful MQ!
If you suggest that the OP is at least a decade too late for rentals in that price range, she may call you a jerk, as evidenced by her reaction to the reality posted by EBWick.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Be careful MQ!
If you suggest that the OP is at least a decade too late for rentals in that price range, she may call you a jerk, as evidenced by her reaction to the reality posted by EBWick.

And that will bother me because...?

The OP is not being realistic about NJ rental prices. Getting upset about hearing it will not lower those prices.

What's puzzling is that she says her boyfriend is here. Why doesn't he know what rents are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey