Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 15,109 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are seriously considering moving to NJ at the beginning of next summer, however, I'm extremely concerned that we won't be able to afford it. We are looking around the Cumberland/Cape May/Burlington counties. I've found some nice looking new homes for around 250-300k and was wondering what people thought of the towns - Williamstown, Vineland, and Millville were some I saw.

Also, any advice on schools would be great, as I will be a new elementary teacher with a MA and we plan on having kids. If anyone has info on becoming a cop, that would be great, too. The process seems more in depth than here.

I keep hearing property taxes are exceedingly high - is there some place I can find how much it would be (eg. 275,000 home)? Also any info on electric (2800 - 2000 sq ft home), water, insurance (home and auto) would be very appreciated! It's such a daunting task and I like to have all the info before I agree to go!

Thank you so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamirouge View Post
My fiance and I are seriously considering moving to NJ at the beginning of next summer, however, I'm extremely concerned that we won't be able to afford it. We are looking around the Cumberland/Cape May/Burlington counties. I've found some nice looking new homes for around 250-300k and was wondering what people thought of the towns - Williamstown, Vineland, and Millville were some I saw.

Also, any advice on schools would be great, as I will be a new elementary teacher with a MA and we plan on having kids. If anyone has info on becoming a cop, that would be great, too. The process seems more in depth than here.

I keep hearing property taxes are exceedingly high - is there some place I can find how much it would be (eg. 275,000 home)? Also any info on electric (2800 - 2000 sq ft home), water, insurance (home and auto) would be very appreciated! It's such a daunting task and I like to have all the info before I agree to go!

Thank you so much for any help!
Have you received a teaching job in NJ because having friends that tried to obtain one, its not easy. In NJ you need to know someone. I'm not familar with that area but know its not the best place to live in NJ. Taxes in NJ are only going up. There are not many houses in that price range. Why NJ? Do you have family there?
The places I am familar with in the US with abundant teaching positions are Florida, Las Vegas and Nashville, TN. I'm sure police jobs are available anywhere.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Problem with telling you what the taxes are on a home is that they vary from home to home depending on the size, age, and area. Each town has a different assessment rate so I couldn't really tell you what each home would cost. The best suggestion that I could offer you is to check out realtor.com to get a general idea of what the homes in the area you are looking at go for and some general idea on taxes.

It would also be hard to tell you what the utilities are going to cost because again it depends on how much you use. I have a 2000 square foot home and my bills range between $250 - $400 a month depending on the season and this includes electric, gas, water, sewer, and heating.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Hmm... Thanks for the responses. I'm originally from Toms River, so I still know a lot of people in NJ and a few of them are teachers - in Forked River, Vineland, and around Browns Mills. I haven't tried to secure a teaching contract yet, though. I just know I won't be able to afford anything outside of South Jersey due to the prices. I did see some new home communities advertising around 250-350 k, which surprised me, but I was hoping they would be nice.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamirouge View Post
Hmm... Thanks for the responses. I'm originally from Toms River, so I still know a lot of people in NJ and a few of them are teachers - in Forked River, Vineland, and around Browns Mills. I haven't tried to secure a teaching contract yet, though. I just know I won't be able to afford anything outside of South Jersey due to the prices. I did see some new home communities advertising around 250-350 k, which surprised me, but I was hoping they would be nice.

So far, taxes in Browns Mills are good. What makes Country Lakes so affordable is that we have a well with city sewer, so we don't have a water bill.

We just put a bid on a house in Williamstown, taxes are scaring us as are having to pay a water bill, which is probably some where to the tune of $300+ per quarter.

We've done a lot of looking in Williamstown. From what we've seen, the cheaper new construction is in less desirable parts of the town.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:51 PM

67 posts, read 247,776 times
Barnegat is a good school distrist. We have a HS now and will be building a new elementary school try renting first. Ryan homes are building a lot of homes. Just don't go west of PKWY . lots of power lines. Settlers has a lot of good homes, I know they are having some trouble in the Windwars section.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the added info!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Just be really careful of culture shock. That's pretty much my mantra for anyone moving west-east or east-west. Neither is better or worse but they're very different. If there's anything specific that you know you'll really love about NJ, then that will be your "plus" that will outweigh the negatives. That's my mantra too -- The fact that every place has its pluses and minuses; if you have at least one major "plus" then you will have the best possible shot at being happy.

As far as teaching, I only personally know/knew two teachers in New Jersey. I don't know if the one had "connections" or not, but I do know that he got his position eight months after he finished school. He taught down the shore, then moved north and got a position at a school up there. He taught high school. (I don't know about currently; we're no longer in touch.) I don't think he expressed anything about extreme difficulties in finding a teaching position, though. I feel like he would have mentioned it at the time; at the very least I would have wondered why he was out of work if that had been the case. The other is an old friend of mine from high school. She teaches elementary school. I don't remember how long it took her to get a job but I can say for certain that she had no school or political connections. She just was/is a good teacher. She teaches in Bergen County.

Good luck! I wish you happiness wherever you end up and that you find a place that is truly home for you.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-19-2007 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM

67 posts, read 247,776 times
I've been a teacher in NJ for 22 years. I've worked in both Manahwakin and Barnegat. Barnegat votes for a lot of Budgets and has monies. Manhawkin has a history of voting down budgets. One small quiet district is Eagleswood south of Manhawkin. I think it's a great little school. As for getting a job, Barnegat has a large population of young great teachers at the HS and they are awesome. All the teacher I have met and worked with
throughout the 22 years I have lived in Barnegat have been great. The state scores in Barnegat are good and the pride in the district shows .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey