Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:59 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've *never* had this problem - I swear!
Neither have I. Not once.

I think people are making sh** up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...but why do you prefer to pay with cash, as you implied in your earlier post?
Having to go to the bank (or an ATM) periodically, in order to replenish your cash supply, is a waste of...your time...and, very relevant to this thread...the gasoline that you buy.

The only time that I use cash is to buy lottery tickets, and when I go to a commercial car wash.
Everything else is put on a credit card, which--in addition to saving me time and gasoline--also gives me a few hundred $$ each year in rebates.

The only time that I go to the bank is to cash a check (and, with direct deposit, that is becoming increasingly seldom), and on those rare occasions, I, "load-up", with enough cash to tide me over for another couple of months of lottery ticket & car wash transactions. When it finally gets to the point where every deposit is done electronically, then I will probably visit an ATM once every 2 months for some cash.

I hardly ever go to the ATM, but I do go to the supermarket regularly and get cash back when I purchase something.

I remember when all that identity theft was going on last year--it was traceable to the gas stations, where criminals were skimming the cards and using the numbers. And credit cards are almost always 10 cents more per gallon, aren't they?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,985,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Neither have I. Not once.

I think people are making sh** up!
Agreed-and I am a self service advocate.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,360,326 times
Quote:
credit cards are almost always 10 cents more per gallon, aren't they?
Only if you patronize the wrong places.

Costco does not charge extra for using a credit card, nor does Hess.
At other-branded stations, it varies to a great extent, but, suffice it to say that I only patronize the places that don't charge more for using credit cards. You just have to be careful to look at the signage.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
I remember when all that identity theft was going on last year--it was traceable to the gas stations, where criminals were skimming the cards and using the numbers. And credit cards are almost always 10 cents more per gallon, aren't they?
my credit card offers 2% cash back all the time and my other card offers 5% cash back on gas 6 months a year. so if gas is 3.30, I get 6.6 cents back a gallon making up most fo the 10cents, 6 months I get 16.5 cents making up more than the difference. also, all my credit card transactions go automatically to my online financial software so that the nsa and other government agencies can easily view and analyze all my financial transactions (and so can I).

Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM

18,480 posts, read 15,269,062 times
Is today groundhog's day?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is today groundhog's day?
Do you want your malls open on Sunday?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Latest update on Pump your own in NC. 1 hr ago I pull into a Pure gas station and two cars are parked in front of the pumps. No drivers in site and no way for me to pump my own. Had to drive a couple of miles down the road to find a an empty pump at an EXXon station.

Please tell me how great it is to pump your own.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM

18,480 posts, read 15,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Do you want your malls open on Sunday?
No. They should be closed from 5PM on Saturday evening until monday morning. Banks too.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Only if you patronize the wrong places.

Costco does not charge extra for using a credit card, nor does Hess.
At other-branded stations, it varies to a great extent, but, suffice it to say that I only patronize the places that don't charge more for using credit cards. You just have to be careful to look at the signage.

I've never been to a Costco and don't know where one is near me, so it obviously would be a trip out of the way to go to such a place. Any savings would be eaten up by the extra driving.

I used to go to a Hess regularly where I used to live, but I don't know where any are near me now.

My criteria for where I buy gas is "local". There are a couple of Lukoils and they always cost more than everyone else so I don't go to them. Then there's a Shell on the way to the Parkway that's easy to get in and out of if I decide to drive to work, or a Citgo on 35 that seems to be cheaper than the other places that I would go to on a weekend if I needed gas.

For me, it's just easier to pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey