Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,416,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well said! I never understood why anyone wants to do this. I had to pump my own when I spent 6 months in Houston, and totally understand what you mean about waiting in line behind lottery people. Even worse, the first time I paid cash, I had to guess to the attendant inside how much my car would hold. If I said more than it held, I then had to go back in to get the difference refunded.

I find it rare that I have to wait a long time for an attendant. Wawa especially does a good job of knowing who got there first, even when it's very crowded.
but, if every car there could get out and pump - it doesn't matter who got their first. everyone gets out, inserts pump, pumps, and leaves.

Cash? what's that? I'm unfamiliar with that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
You'll never see an argument at self-service about the amount of gas that was requested to be pumped("I said $30"--"No, you said $40"), or the type of fuel requested("I said regular"----"No, you said super").

Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,709,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You'll never see an argument at self-service about the amount of gas that was requested to be pumped("I said $30"--"No, you said $40"), or the type of fuel requested("I said regular"----"No, you said super").
I've *never* had this problem - I swear!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,880,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've *never* had this problem - I swear!
LOL. I've seen both issues when stopping on the highways for gas.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM

50,880 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it doesn't cost more to pump your own (you're attributing NJ's cheaper gas to NJ requiring a paid-human being to pump it for you?????). Every state that allows you to pump your own (48 of them) has full service, and it's always more expensive.

Pumping your own means ZERO WAIT TIME. in NJ, you have to wait for an attendant to be free, you have to wait for him to take your card, you have to wait....wait...wait....wait.

What makes you think adding a PAID EMPLOYEE would save someone .05-.10 a gallon?
Actually a gas station owner explained to me once that the insurance required for pump your own costs MORE than the cost of his employees.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
but, if every car there could get out and pump - it doesn't matter who got their first. everyone gets out, inserts pump, pumps, and leaves.

Cash? what's that? I'm unfamiliar with that word.
Actually in my experience it didn't work that smoothly. They pumped their gas, then went inside to buy things, get their receipt or whatever, leaving their car sitting at the pump until they return. It's not going to be perfect whether pump your own or full-serve, but I'd still rather have full serve.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Actually in my experience it didn't work that smoothly. They pumped their gas, then went inside to buy things, get their receipt or whatever, leaving their car sitting at the pump until they return. It's not going to be perfect whether pump your own or full-serve, but I'd still rather have full serve.

...but why do you prefer to pay with cash, as you implied in your earlier post?
Having to go to the bank (or an ATM) periodically, in order to replenish your cash supply, is a waste of...your time...and, very relevant to this thread...the gasoline that you buy.

The only time that I use cash is to buy lottery tickets, and when I go to a commercial car wash.
Everything else is put on a credit card, which--in addition to saving me time and gasoline--also gives me a few hundred $$ each year in rebates.

The only time that I go to the bank is to cash a check (and, with direct deposit, that is becoming increasingly seldom), and on those rare occasions, I, "load-up", with enough cash to tide me over for another couple of months of lottery ticket & car wash transactions. When it finally gets to the point where every deposit is done electronically, then I will probably visit an ATM once every 2 months for some cash.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...but why do you prefer to pay with cash, as you implied in your earlier post?
Having to go to the bank (or an ATM) periodically, in order to replenish your cash supply, is a waste of...your time...and, very relevant to this thread...the gasoline that you buy.

The only time that I use cash is to buy lottery tickets, and when I go to a commercial car wash.
Everything else is put on a credit card, which--in addition to saving me time and gasoline--also gives me a few hundred $$ each year in rebates.

The only time that I go to the bank is to cash a check (and, with direct deposit, that is becoming increasingly seldom), and on those rare occasions, I, "load-up", with enough cash to tide me over for another couple of months of lottery ticket & car wash transactions. When it finally gets to the point where every deposit is done electronically, then I will probably visit an ATM once every 2 months for some cash.

That was one time. I wasn't talking about me having to go in, in the post above, I was talking about others going in and there not being pumps available because they left their cars sitting there when they went into the store.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've never had more discussion IRL in my 40+ years living in this state about this topic than the 6 years I've been on this board. The fascination over this issue, well, fascinates me.
Me, too. I've never WANTED to pump my own gas. Geez, can't we just enjoy the service of having someone wait on us? And RARELY do I have to wait any length of time for an attendant to appear and pump your gas. That just seems like such a weak argument.

I can pump my own--I travel upstate NY regularly and to Virginia, and more recently, Vermont, so I've pumped my own and can do it again. But why would you WANT to? I don't get it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
it doesn't cost more to pump your own (you're attributing NJ's cheaper gas to NJ requiring a paid-human being to pump it for you?????). Every state that allows you to pump your own (48 of them) has full service, and it's always more expensive.

Pumping your own means ZERO WAIT TIME. in NJ, you have to wait for an attendant to be free, you have to wait for him to take your card, you have to wait....wait...wait....wait.

What makes you think adding a PAID EMPLOYEE would save someone .05-.10 a gallon?
And I just don't get this. Wait for what? I pull into a gas station, there's usually a guy right there, you wind down your window, pop open the little gas door thing, tell him what you want, get your gas, hand him $20 and zoom away.

What card? LOL, I know what card, but I don't use credit cards at gas stations. That's how identity theft happens.

And I've never had a fancy car so I'm not a princess worrying about whether someone might drip some gas on my car. That would never even have occurred to me to be something to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey