Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think you have to consider the knock on effect. Take the guy that was currently making $8.00 an hour or $9.00 an hour. If he was worth XX more than minimum wage before is he worth that much more now? Do you have to also bump him up as well? And so on. So I think the reality is this impacts more people than just those currently making the minimum wage.
That's the problem.

Now I have to start those with no experience at doing ANYTHING (my employee base= college kids & all under 24. No college grads or brain surgeons needed to run a cash register, stock shelves, take deliveries, run a vacuum, etc.) at $8.25, where I used to start them at $7.50. Performance gets one of my employees a raise after 90 days and to $8.00/hr. Another 3 months? $8.50.

So now do I have to raise my employees hourly wage who are at $8.50/hr to $9.50/hr because the "newbies" are going to HAVE to be paid $8.25/hr?

People either didn't think or they just do NOT understand macro-economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's the problem.

Now I have to start those with no experience at doing ANYTHING (my employee base= college kids & all under 24. No college grads or brain surgeons needed to run a cash register, stock shelves, take deliveries, run a vacuum, etc.) at $8.25, where I used to start them at $7.50. Performance gets one of my employees a raise after 90 days and to $8.00/hr. Another 3 months? $8.50.

So now do I have to raise my employees hourly wage who are at $8.50/hr to $9.50/hr because the "newbies" are going to HAVE to be paid $8.25/hr?

People either didn't think or they just do NOT understand macro-economics.
Didn't matter. It's all about "my, me, mine".

Old 11-06-2013, 07:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Ppl are fighting to unionize WalMart.

As our country becomes ever more separated by wealth, what's left of our formerly strong middle class will have to fight tooth & nail for some semblance of workplace dignity.
If someone is unhappy with how much they are being paid, it is up to them to make themselves more valuable to others so they can be paid more. It is really that simple. Get better. It's not optional.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
You're right they weren't. McDs used to be staffed almost entirely by teenagers with an "adult" manager who was 25. Check it out now. Plenty of 40 & 50-somethings mixed in.

We can't stop globalism but we don't have to grease its wheels either by allowing super-profitable companies to off-shore jobs AND pay ZERO taxes by incorporating as some PO box in the Caymans. Then we have the balls to criticize working ppl who need food stamps. Things have gotten way fcked up for millions of ppl who maybe don't have the wherewithal to navigate thru this awesome, new industrial-free United States. We shouldn't just clap for the winners. I know upper class people whose spoiled & educated kids are looking down the barrel at McDs careers too.
This is a Washington problem, and one that is very hard to overcome considering both parties are complicit. Also, I don't know who considers post industrial America to be "awesome". Certainly not me. I liked us better the other way.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Didn't matter. It's all about "my, me, mine".
Sure is.

So for the SMBO's struggling through the economic downturn (good thing for us is when it's bad "out there", we do even better), they now have to shell out more $$$ in payroll costs for the same job that anyone could do without putting too much thought in to it, and either lose their business or pass the costs on and lose business.

Again, what should someone who stocks a shelf be paid? Someone who makes a cup of coffee? Hands you a bagel? Flips a burger? Asks if you'd like that "super sized"? Greets you with snot hanging out of their nose when you enter a store? And then leer's at your little girl one second too long. Dries your windshield off when exiting a car wash?

The families of WalMart and the like? They're sitting on billions of dollars that have been invested over the years and if every WalMart went belly up? They aren't going to be any worse for the wear. So voting "yes" to "stick it to 'em" didn't do a damn thing to hurt them. You (in general, not you specifically, Camaro) just hurt yourself and the SMBO in your community.

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-06-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Another thing that business is not thrilled about is uncertainty. Now they have no clue how much they are going to have to raise salaries each year. NJ should write a book on how to discourage business.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Another thing that business is not thrilled about is uncertainty. Now they have no clue how much they are going to have to raise salaries each year. NJ should write a book on how to discourage business.
No kidding.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Sure is.

So for the SMBO's struggling through the economic downturn (good thing for us is when it's bad "out there", we do even better), they now have to shell out more $$$ in payroll costs for the same job that anyone could do without putting too much thought in to it, and either lose their business or pass the costs on and lose business.

Again, what should someone who stocks a shelf be paid? Someone who makes a cup of coffee? Hands you a bagel? Flips a burger? Asks if you'd like that "super sized"? Greets you with snot hanging out of their nose when you enter a store? And then leer's at your little girl one second too long. Dries your windshield off when exiting a car wash?

The families of WalMart and the like? They're sitting on billions of dollars that have been invested over the years and if every WalMart went belly up? They aren't going to be any worse for the wear. So voting "yes" to "stick it to 'em" didn't do a damn thing to hurt them. You (in general, not you specifically, Camaro) just hurt yourself and the SMBO in your community.
We should have no minimum wage and just let magic of the free market do it's thing. Oh wait, we had conditions like that over 100 yrs ago and China has that now. People jumping off of iphone factory roofs and owners installing suicide nets. We're supposed to be more like western Europe instead of toxic, bungholes like China.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Really interesting theory. Tell us, when has business ever been able to rely upon the kindness of government or the favorable movement of markets for more than a few quarters at most?

The poor, poor put-upon business owner. You'd think that unless there were no regulatuons, unlimited cheap labor and access to free credit, these babes in the woods would have NO IDEA how to operate a business.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Really interesting theory. Tell us, when has business ever been able to rely upon the kindness of government or the favorable movement of markets for more than a few quarters at most?

The poor, poor put-upon business owner. You'd think that unless there were no regulatuons, unlimited cheap labor and access to free credit, these babes in the woods would have NO IDEA how to operate a business.
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey