Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do good school districts have better teachers or better students?
Higher paid teachers and more gadgets improve test scores 1 1.82%
Students and families in better districts are more committed to education 27 49.09%
A combination of 1 and 2 27 49.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,764,537 times

Advertisements

I have a few teacher friends in the public school system (people I grew up with or have known 20+ years). The 2 in very poor neighborhoods have the exact same complaint. There is simply little to no parent involvement. The kids do not respect their teachers and between the laws and the unions, their hands are tied on what can be done about disruptive students.

The good kids there to learn are frustrated, the bad kids don't care, the teachers do all they can but its an uphill stressful battle for all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Our kids---courtesy of where we live---are treated to all kinds of cultural assemblies, and things that I don't believe other schools would have without parent funding. It makes me sad because it's not fair. It widens the gap.
parent funding? aren't these failing schools very well funded by taxpayers?

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM

382 posts, read 805,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Formally schooled, at a very minimum high school graduates, or some college.

College educated parents will most likely place more emphasis on their children's education K through HS

How do you define "educated" within the context of this thread?
I agree with you that graduating from college makes one more "educated" than a high school graduate. I don't agree that just because a child lives in a desirable town and has college educated parents means he/she will be successful. I graduated from Tenafly High School and to be completely honest was not really that impressed. My graduating class for the most part all went to college and from what I know there aren't many that became blue-collar workers (Not that there's anything wrong with being blue-collar). The "catch" is that none of us are doing anything career wise that couldn't have been achieved at a lesser school.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times
setting requirements for attendance and admission makes scores skyrocket, but those that control our schools say that is discrimination. ACLU and NAACP controls our schools, we do not.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:17 AM

396 posts, read 709,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
parent funding? aren't these failing schools very well funded by taxpayers?
talking about the very opposite--successful schools

Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,087,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
I agree with you that graduating from college makes one more "educated" than a high school graduate. I don't agree that just because a child lives in a desirable town and has college educated parents means he/she will be successful. I graduated from Tenafly High School and to be completely honest was not really that impressed. My graduating class for the most part all went to college and from what I know there aren't many that became blue-collar workers (Not that there's anything wrong with being blue-collar). The "catch" is that none of us are doing anything career wise that couldn't have been achieved at a lesser school.
Not to sound like a commercial disclaimer - but individual results may vary. IMO it's essentially a numbers game. If parents' goal is to get their kids into a good college, the odds of doing that increase ____-fold if they go to Tenafly than if they go to Eastside. Better teachers, smaller class sizes, more AP classes, greater parental involvement, much less violence and overall distractions. Does all that lead to a high-paying career? Not necessarily but schools like Phillips Exeter & Andover exist to perpetuate the American aristocracy. And the elite publics emulate them to some extent.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,050,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I have a few teacher friends in the public school system (people I grew up with or have known 20+ years). The 2 in very poor neighborhoods have the exact same complaint. There is simply little to no parent involvement. The kids do not respect their teachers and between the laws and the unions, their hands are tied on what can be done about disruptive students.

The good kids there to learn are frustrated, the bad kids don't care, the teachers do all they can but its an uphill stressful battle for all involved.
I think this area is so overlooked when it comes to education. You will not see the results you want if the parents are not committed to educating their kids. For many kids, parents have to be involved. This is one of the biggest problems with education in the inner cities; the culture in many areas is just not supportive at home and you can't do it all within the school environment. But this goes for any community. The support at home is critical.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 AM

4,173 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Parents are the biggest reason why students do good in school. It has very little to do with teacher.

While good teachers help, but good parents play a much bigger roll than teacher.

My daughter is in kindergarten and has very little take home work. Then I see my niece, who is a year younger than my daughter, going to a private preschool has more homework than my daughter. This is the case when I asked my friends from the city, who go to private preschool (daycare) has more homework than what my daughter is getting.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM

478 posts, read 701,660 times
It's neither the students or the teachers.....it's the parents. Good school districts are generally equated with high income parents who understand the value of a good education and instill that in their children. A teachers job is much easier when they have the support and involvement of the parents.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,064,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Not to sound like a commercial disclaimer - but individual results may vary. IMO it's essentially a numbers game. If parents' goal is to get their kids into a good college, the odds of doing that increase ____-fold if they go to Tenafly than if they go to Eastside. Better teachers, smaller class sizes, more AP classes, greater parental involvement, much less violence and overall distractions. Does all that lead to a high-paying career? Not necessarily but schools like Phillips Exeter & Andover exist to perpetuate the American aristocracy. And the elite publics emulate them to some extent.
And if the even less elite publics emulated them we'd have a better society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey