Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
The Rev. Al Sharpton condemned the dangerous “knockout” attacks cropping up in cities all over the country, saying the “insane thuggery” of punching a defenseless stranger is far from being a game.

“This kind of behavior is deplorable and must be condemned by all [of] us,” he said at his weekly National Action Network rally in Harlem on Saturday, the New York Post reported. “We would not be silent if it was the other way around. We cannot be silent or in any way reluctant to confront it when it is coming from our own community.”

“Kids are randomly knocking out people [from] another race — some specifically going at Jewish people,” he said. “This kind of insane thuggery — there is nothing cute about that. There is no game play about knocking somebody out, and it is not a game. It is an assault and is bias, and it is wrong.”

Mr. Sharpton said he and other leaders plan to discuss their “next move” this week, the Post said.

Read more: 'Insane thuggery': Al Sharpton denounces 'knockout' attacks - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Like I said already. All he will do is talk with no action. Why do some of you continue to support this guy. He is a fraud. He gets payed to play the victim card every chance he gets and really has no interests in addressing the real problems in the Black community. He also refuses to criticize Pres. Obama on pretty much any issue just because he the first Black president. Why do you think MSNBC hired him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default he said at his weekly National Action Network rally in Harlem on Saturday,

Where has he been for the past years on this thuggery crime. He said something 4 days ago because HE HAD TO. A little late to the dinner table. If it was the other way around he'd call a news conference within hours to speak out.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,530 times
Al Sharpton is a race pimp. He has no credibility.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Because hate crimes or crimes targeted against a spefic group are cancers that need to be eradicated before they spread. Much like organized crime vs. random theft.
I don't really see it that way. I think any crime where someone punches an innocent person is a "hate crime." it doesn't make it any worse if there is any racial aspect to it. they are both cancers and need to be eradicated. so if there is a harsher penalty for a racially motivated hate crime, then ill just take the harsher penalty across the board.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 57,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Because hate crimes or crimes targeted against a spefic group are cancers that need to be eradicated before they spread. Much like organized crime vs. random theft.
What makes you think that this "Knock-Out Game" is some organized crime against white people? I'm sorry to say, but we in the black community are barely able to organize to even help ourselves. So I'm way more inclined to believe that these are random incidents (probably happening way more now because of intense media coverage) versus hate crimes. I would even go as far to say that we have more hate among ourselves than hate for other groups of people; that is why you see the self-destructive mentality and many of the bad behaviors that some African-Americans display regularly.

So again, what makes you think that this "Knock-Out Game" is some organized crime against white people? or Jewish people? Or any other race for that matter? And if the "Knock-Out Game" was an organized hate crime against another group, I and many others obviously missed this meeting because up until this point, I have never heard of anything like this, even back when I was living in Jersey.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil998 View Post
What makes you think that this "Knock-Out Game" is some organized crime against white people? I'm sorry to say, but we in the black community are barely able to organize to even help ourselves. So I'm way more inclined to believe that these are random incidents (probably happening way more now because of intense media coverage) versus hate crimes. I would even go as far to say that we have more hate among ourselves than hate for other groups of people; that is why you see the self-destructive mentality and many of the bad behaviors that some African-Americans display regularly.

So again, what makes you think that this "Knock-Out Game" is some organized crime against white people? or Jewish people? Or any other race for that matter? And if the "Knock-Out Game" was an organized hate crime against another group, I and many others obviously missed this meeting because up until this point, I have never heard of anything like this, even back when I was living in Jersey.
I don't think he is saying the knockout game is a form of organized crime. he is saying that organized crime is worse than random crime just like hate crimes are worse than crimes that aren't motivated by some form of prejudice.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM

291 posts, read 390,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil998 View Post

I read your post and do understand your point. The one-punch game (which is nothing new by the way) is, believe it or not, a fun activity for these groups. By far, most of the videos do show these groups do be young black males and most of the victims to be older white people. I believe that they choose whites because they look at them as not part of their group or culture. So, in essence, they are selecting their victims because they are white which would constitute a hate crime.

At the end of they day, the best question would be to ask what if this were happening in reverse? Without a doubt, if this exact scenario were playing out in reverse, there would be marches, protests and an FBI civil rights investigation.

Last edited by Buzliteyear; 11-28-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
This guy is right on the money...

Knockout Game Is Over Hyped Bull**** Also **** Racists - YouTube

Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM

im not sure why some people are offended that attention has been brought to this stuff. there is an underlying reason why someone like nexis doesn't like that this is news.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 57,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I read your post and do understand your point. The one-punch game (which is nothing new by the way) is, believe it or not, a fun activity for these groups. By far, most of the videos do show these groups do be young black males and most of the victims to be older white people. I believe that they choose whites because they look at them as not part of their group or culture. So, in essence, they are selecting their victims because they are white which would constitute a hate crime.

At the end of they day, the best question would be to ask what if this were happening in reverse? Without a doubt, if this exact scenario were playing out in reverse, there would be marches, protests and an FBI civil rights investigation.
I don't doubt that part of their motivation for randomly assaulting people is for pure amusement or peer pressure. But what I do question and doubt is that there is a racial motivation behind these assaults. At least from what I have been reading so far about it, none of these assaults have been racially motivated. All of the offenders likely picked their victim to hit because they were old and walking alone (which is what most criminals do anyways when they pick a victim), not because they were white. If it was an eldery black man, they probably would have assaulted him in similar fashion.

And to the point about culture, I don't think urban black youth even have a sense of what their own culture is anyways. Their "culture" per se is constantly misrepresented anyways on a daily basis in society; what they typically see on the street on a normal day is NOT what is usually depicted about urban neighborhoods in media. So I doubt these offenders saw it that way when they chose their random person to assault.

So yes, at the end of the day, if this scenario was reverse, all those things you mentioned would probably happened. But there are many other scenarios where black people unfairly get the short end of the stick. So it goes both ways.

Honestly, all the "race" problems would go away if we dropped the concept of race altogether from every society. Race is a social construction; if it can be created, it can also be destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey