Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Guess we need to figure out a way to run prisons more cheaply. Might help if we quit filling them up with drug offenders, but that's another story.

What, so they can learn better places to hit someone? These thugs aren't just ignorant, they're malicious.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is violent crime. lock them up or kill them. we pay way too much to lock someone up, but violent criminals shouldn't be free. but we should be saving tons of money on those jails by not filling them with non-violent drug criminals.
I agree. you commit a violent crime you go to jail. If it warrants the death penalty then so be it. But at some point we need to address the root of the problem to prevent it from happening in the first place. Locking them up isn't a deterrent. these kids that are doing this already know they are likely to end up there at some point.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
I agree. you commit a violent crime you go to jail. If it warrants the death penalty then so be it. But at some point we need to address the root of the problem to prevent it from happening in the first place. Locking them up isn't a deterrent. these kids that are doing this already know they are likely to end up there at some point.
I believe lots of time, money and effort are spent trying to address the root of the problem. so i dont think its accurate to pretend that people aren't trying to solve the problem. but in the meantime, I certainly want the criminals punished.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I believe lots of time, money and effort are spent trying to address the root of the problem. so i dont think its accurate to pretend that people aren't trying to solve the problem. but in the meantime, I certainly want the criminals punished.
No, i understand that. People have tried to solve the problem and your right a ton of time, money and effort has been spent doing so. But thus far it hasn't worked very well. But the issues are complex and cant be fixed overnight. It probably also involves the changing of the perception of both those who are poor and how those of us who aren't poor perceive them. However, the optimistic side of me thinks there has to be a way.

I mean, think of it in terms of medicine. Im all for new techniques to treat cancer. However, if you can find a way to prevent it in the first place, that is the best solution to the problem. And though folks have spent a ton of time, money and effort trying to solve that problem, they continue to look for ways to prevent it in the first place.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
This is all easy stuff to say with no perspective into the environment they live in. Now i do agree welfare isnt the answer. Nor is "bribery." However, i just did a quick google and found that in NYC it costs about $170,000 a year to incarcerate one inmate. So the more people that get incarcerated, the more comes out our pockets which you aren't a fan of. I mean, you could do a lot with $170,000. improved schools, better teachers, after school programs, mentoring, tutoring, parental training..... like i said in my last comment. I think a more proactive approach would help us all in the long run.
So, assuming that figure is accurate, I think the solution here is figuring out efficiencies to knock the $170,000 figure down. To $20,000. Prison should be hell. Perhaps we've made them too soft. Let's lose the gyms and the libraries and the computers and the nonsense. Perhaps when prison is a truly horrific alternative, a percentage of thugs will decide they don't want to go back. And will tell their friends what it's like. Again, increase the natural and correct consequences, and learning will take place. For those that won't learn to refrain from violating others, perhaps prison is the place to be, and the long term residents can concentrate on destroying each other instead of the innocent.

In any case, I'm sure the cost could be reduced dramatically. Locking up violent offenders is not negotiable though. No matter what the cost, it's a bargain for innocent and good citizens who get to live without getting knocked out.

And I don't care about numbers or hackneyed observations to the effect that "America locks up more people than anyone else". You didn't say that but I often hear it. All violent criminals need to be in prison. Forever. Whatever the number. Whatever the cost.

In all cases where we've permitted collectivism to separate people's bad choices from logical consequences, we've been burned. The bad choices get worse, and the costs to contain the damage keep going up.

Keep it simple, clear, and logical. You commit violent crime, you rot in a cell surrounded by similar wildlife. Until you stop. Or until you die. Your choice.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
You're acting like black kids are the only kids who jump white people.

What's laughable is the fact that this has been going on in my town, white on white, for a long time and nobody seems to care.
Yup. Nobody gave a damn when it was happening to gay men back in the 80's. But now that its "elderly white people" people seem to care.

My,people seem to forget.

I'm any event,it should be deemed a violent crime.

I'm not sure how fireamrs would work in these instances.
For example,if a young black guy was walking down the street,with maybe a white t shirt and baggy jeanson,can you shoot him because he "looks"suspicious?

How will that hold up in a court of law?

You can't shoot people for walking down the street for being black,and you can't shoot them because you "thought" they were going to harm them.
So,
The only solution is to hire more police and put them on street partol,but due to budget issues,that might not be possible.
Also,many urban policemen are really,really lazy. Sorry,but I had to go there. Newark police don't do crap. From what I see they participate in crime and. Victimize the victims.

The dectectives got an attitude with me because I felt I shouldn't have had to pay for something that the Newark police towed for evidence. I never gave them permission to tow anything. I was at work in a nearby building. When I went out,my car was gone. Newark police didn't even contact me . I had to ask the bodega guys what happened.
I had to pay $500 to get my car out of the towing yard when someone shot my car windows months back(they shot up all the cars in the neighborhood.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 11-25-2013 at 01:26 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 05:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
For example,if a young black guy was walking down the street,with maybe a white t shirt and baggy jeanson,can you shoot him because he "looks"suspicious?

How will that hold up in a court of law?
im not sure why you would use this "example" except that you were trying to set up your own conclusion and it forced you to come up with a completely ridiculous example. nobody is talking about shooting a black guy in baggy jeans. we are talking about shooting him if he punches someone. that probably wouldn't hold up in court either but it should.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Guess we need to figure out a way to run prisons more cheaply. Might help if we quit filling them up with drug offenders, but that's another story.

What, so they can learn better places to hit someone? These thugs aren't just ignorant, they're malicious.
Not going to help when the government and the prison companies have contract that guarantees filled rate

Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 AM

550 posts, read 966,067 times
Police Unsure if Random Attacks Are Rising Threat or Urban Myth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/ny...myth.html?_r=0

And another from USA Today from this morning:

Reports: Alleged trend of 'Knockout Game' a myth

Interesting.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

107 posts, read 195,900 times
The "knockout game" is yet another media myth that is super hyped. Case closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey