Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apt in Hoboken for my daughter. I am not familiar with the area at all. Before I go to a realtor I would like to get some information. What are the best parts of the city, where should I avoid? She has a tiny dog which I know may be a big problem. The apt needs to be near PATH, have washer /dryer in the building and be walking distance to shopping. She would like to pay no more than about 1,700, maybe more if some utilities were included.
Thanks all for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
for apts in Hoboken your best bet is to look on craigslist. Based on your requirements above, she would likely need to find a roommate to find a room for that price with those amenities close to the path. With roommates that is definitely achievable. The entire city is walkable and most of the shopping is on Washington St.

As far as best parts of the city. Basically the entire city is fine. The closer you are to the waterfront, PATH and Ferry will be your more desirable, and thus more expensive locations.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
I'd head uptown -- it's much quieter. My Dad lives closer to the PATH and it's pretty noisy, windy, and conjested. It definitely affected my sleeping patterns with all the excess city noise. Also all the crazy post-college bars are in the lower part of the city whereas the more mature (late 20/early 30s) spots are further uptown.

There is also a lot of redevelopment down 1st around Adams and whatnot. I think that used to be not savory some years ago but now it's fine.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:46 AM

88,587 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Out of curiosity, I did a search on Realtor.com to see if there were any apartments that inexpensive in Hoboken. To my surprise, six popped up in the search for a one-bedroom with a max of $1,700. Unfortunately, none of them allow pets.

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/.../price-na-1700

Perhaps if your daughter can adjust her budget or find a roommate as others suggested, she can find something, but at least you know the possibility exists.

Got ten apartments listed when I raised the rent to $1,800, and 18 listed when I raised it to $2,000.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Thanks all. That little pomeranian is a big problem when renting! I found several nice apts for the right price on MLS but, no pets.
Are there two Path stations in Hoboken? The Path map is a little confusing.

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 01-07-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Thanks all. That little pomeranian is a big problem when renting! I found several nice apts for the right price on MLS but, no pets.
Just one -- adjacent to the train station near 1st street. Hoboken has multiple docking points for the ferry (that is probably what you are confusing it with.)

Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Just one -- adjacent to the train station near 1st street. Hoboken has multiple docking points for the ferry (that is probably what you are confusing it with.)
Either that or the light rail on the edge of Hoboken and Jersey City Heights.

ETA. Note the light rail does not go into NYC.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

You guys are very helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Either that or the light rail on the edge of Hoboken and Jersey City Heights.

ETA. Note the light rail does not go into NYC.
Yup. But I've heard you have to be careful of that infamous "9th street elevator." I believe that crime in that area is hyped up more than anything else

Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Pets are a major PITA that, since there is such high demand and limited supply, no landlord wants to deal with them.

The Lackawana Station in Hoboken houses the PATH, NJT Rail and one of the Ferry's to Manhattan( There is another ferry Terminal on 14th St)

There are also 2 bus routes that go to the city that stops almost every other block on Washington Street and Willow St./Clinton

Everything East of Jefferson and South of 14th St. is fine. The closer to Washington the better, although on Washington is loud with both foot traffic and sirens.

There are projects in Hoboken, most people don't know this. The big one is on Harrison and runs from 1st to 6th Street(almost 22 apartment buildings), a smaller one is from 8th to 9th st. bet Jefferson and Adams( 2 large apartment towers).

North of 9th street is considered quieter by Hoboken standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey