Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times

Advertisements

Harrison is prob a better bet if you're looking for upside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 05:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
Hi everyone -

I'm curious to know if anyone has any insight to some of the condos located in downtown Newark within walking distance of Penn Station. I recall one on Mulberry Street right across from the Prudential Center.

The access to Manhattan is great, the prices are low, the area is pretty safe (unlike other parts of Newark)--I'm intrigued.

Let me know if you know anything about the buildings in and around Penn Station.

Thanks!
Join the armies of gullible buyers in hope of gentrifying Newark. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I tend to agree. Not gonna happen.

I went for an interview at BOA in Downtown Newark a few years ago. Someone had broken into a walkway connecting it with another building over the weekend and smashed a bunch of windows. Mindless vandalism. The bums sleep outside of the train station and are all over the place at night too. Its not like they are really even putting any effort into transforming the downtown area.

The HOA's are going to be very high in Newark too. Not too mention that even if the downtown area does gentrify to some extent, it will be a very small part of a big city. You will be the ones who "can afford" to pay more in property taxes. I wouldnt have confidence in the electorate of Newark voting in reasonable politicians either. They could very well go back to a Sharpe James type.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 01-25-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I tend to agree. Not gonna happen.
Its not like they are really even putting any effort into transforming the downtown area.

Valid points on one hand, but on the other hand I disagree with the above on the mere presence of several developments; all of which are within walking distance from one another.

I would point out the Rock Plaza lofts, Teacher's Village, Indigo etc. The Courtyard was just finished within the last year along with a few others. For a city like Newark that isn't small news. The problem I see with any aggressive gentrification in Newark is the fact that it's moving at a snail's pace.

With all this said, I wouldn't recommend to the OP of purchasing downtown at this time. If the OP was seriously committed, I would definitely say rent for a year and see if it's somewhere you won't get tired of. Despite investment, downtown isn't for everybody, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of itself 10 years ago.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You will be the ones who "can afford" to pay more in property taxes.
An important point. Newark has basically zip in the way of ratables, and very high rates. So to attract development they give tax abatements. When those abatements expire, those properties will become a large percentage of the taxable property in the city. Think the city government can avoid killing the golden goose? I doubt it.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They said the same thing about Jersey City's waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey