Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:30 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times

Advertisements

NJ best schools? LOL when will you people wake up and get that dream out of your heads haha seriously .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
Angry Super Bowl train passengers curse NJ over delays, overcrowding | NJ.com

Quote:
Thousands of passengers arriving from New York to the Secaucus Junction transfer station for the train to Super Bowl XLVIII vented their outrage at the overcrowded trains and stifling heat.

"New Jersey sucks," some people shouted as they came off the New York trains. Many had peeled off coats and other outer layers of clothing, and were drenched in sweat from the high temperatures in the packed train cars.

People related stories of passengers passing out and paramedics being called in to help.

Security officers at first were checking every bag, but by 2:45 p.m., more than three hours before the game, checkpoints were overwhelmed by the crowds and people they were pouring through with little or no examination of what was on their person or what they were carrying.

John Durso, spokesman for NJ Transit, said earlier today that large crowds had formed hours before the first train was to leave Secaucus.

"We are urging fans to give themselves plenty of time (to get to the game.)" Durso said shortly before noon.

Tonight's game was widely touted as the nation's first mass transit Super Bowl. Super Bowl organizers have said they expect about 10,000 to 12,000 people to arrive to the stadium by train and between 30,000 and 40,000 by bus.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Overcrowding delays Super Bowl arrivals
"As of 4 p.m., more than two hours before kickoff, about 22,000 people had already taken the shuttle train to the stadium ..., an all-time ridership record, according to NJ Transit."
Nearly a Third of Super Bowl Attendees Took NJ Transit
"28,000 football fans took NJ Transit to the Meadowlands ... overcrowding happened around 3pm. By 4:30pm, the TSA ... tweeted photos showing a crowd-free Secaucus."
https://twitter.com/TSAMedia_RossF/s...378304/photo/1

Channel 11 News reported that thousands arrived at Secaucus hours before shuttle service to MetLife commenced!

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-02-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think the problem is many in NJ are so hellbent on voting democrat that they don't really LISTEN to candidates on the issues. They just blindly vote democrat and don't think of the consequences afterwards. Then they b**** and moan about taxes and wasteful government problems. Same s*** out here in CA, but I feel it's less progressive projects in NJ (mob approved!)
This is certainly a state that is pretty safely blue as a whole. However, like in the rest of the Northeast, it is more blue in the social context than the fiscal, and Republicans who can manage to be at least moderate on the social front, can and do get elected reasonably often.

I think an significant amount of blame also has to be placed on the Republican establishment and primary voters being out of touch with the NJ electorate as far as nominating candidates.

The Republicans traditionally had a very moderate contingent in Congress from the Northeast. (as well as state governments) They might not vote with the Republican majority all the time, but they'd vote with them a lot more than the Democrat alternative would. Olympia Snowe's departure seems to have been the final nail in the coffin for that.

There are few districts that will elect an "ideologically pure" candidate in the Northeast, and no hope of a Senator like that getting elected outside of NH. But, you can certainly get someone more Republican-leaning than the Democratic candidate elected sometimes. Objectively, this is what SHOULD happen.

The Republicans should look at the state, and put up the most Republican-leaning candidate they think they can get elected. Maybe that candidate will still vote with the Democrats 60% of the time. That's still better than nominating an "ideologically pure" candidate, losing in a guaranteed landslide, and now having the winner be voting with the Democrats 100% of the time.

Quote:
Exactly. According to this recent survey, NJ doesn't have the best schools:

States With the Best (and Worst) Schools - 24/7 Wall St.

NJ is #3 but MD and MA are better and they spend less on pupils...
MD and MA have less trouble with poverty/crime-ridden urban areas as a portion of the overall population. Even though I am certainly not claiming Baltimore is good, NJ has trouble with virtually every urban area in the state.

The point this brings up beyond it's affect on overall school scores is I think NJ gets a bit of a double-whammy in terms of cost-inflation. We have a lot of terrible urban districts that are a funding black hole, and we have a lot of extremely wealthy districts that can easily afford to lavishly spend on their schools and do.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
What I don't get is, why are there such big time gaps for trains going to Secaucus. From Penn Station to Secaucus during rush hour it is about 20-30mins per NJT train stopping there. Why can't they run 10-15 min per train? This is why certain days like the Giants/Jets game nights and any event at Meadowlands the place is a huge mess.

Run more trains to Secaucus godammit!! Sick and tired of people flooding my NJ Coastline train because they only need to go to Secaucus.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What I don't get is, why are there such big time gaps for trains going to Secaucus. From Penn Station to Secaucus during rush hour it is about 20-30mins per NJT train stopping there. Why can't they run 10-15 min per train?
There are 20 trains between 5pm and 7pm going from NYPS to SEC.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There are 20 trains between 5pm and 7pm going from NYPS to SEC.
I just checked today's schedule and indeed they are running trains to SEC every 9 minutes then I'm certain it's not enough to handle the extra ridership for today's game. They need to run a lot more trains and more frequent than that.

They should just run a damn shuttle train that only goes to SEC and back to Penn.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Crowds are blaming Christie! lol

Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
You absolutely can. On River there is a strip for parking. It's not huge but during the day it's not as crowded.
what street? the only "free" parking on the street in Hoboken for non residents is limited to 4 hours.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
NJ is flat broke and everyone wants all these projects. Then you ask, "how do we pay for them? Will you pay more in property taxes and bridge and tunnel fees?" Then they go silent.

They want the projects, but don't want to pay for them and don't care if a prudent financing plan is put into place. They want the projects and in reality want the politicians to lie to them that the state can afford it. It's like the wife with the bankrupt husband. She doesn't want to hear there's no money left. She wants him to lie and tell her that they can keep living the same lifestyle. It's a pretty sad state of psychosis among the voters.
Personally, I don't mind paying for them. I'd love to see the state gas tax increased, and whatever that adds to the transportation fund be used specifically for updating existing infrastructure (bridge repairs, exit/on ramps being redesigned for better efficiency, etc.).

Then, i wouldn't mind them figuring out a way to have us fund new projects that would be beneficial. Yes, we pay high taxes already, but I want to have good infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey