Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Never been to the northeast. It seems as if the NFL and networks aren't giving any love to Jersey with the upcoming Super Bowl. Seen stories that the city hosting the Super Bowl can't even use the term "Super Bowl" in hosting a street party and even the mayor of the city can't get tickets nor invite to the game. All the love is "New York" even though the stadium is New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
The No Fun League always restricts the use of the Super Bowl name. Even radio and TV stations say "the big game" to avoid the hassles from the NFL.
About NJ they have been corrected a few times and I heard that mayor got invited to someone's box at the game, but the NFL itself is a bit skitzy and uptight anyway.

They did hold a media day in Newark and the teams are staying in NJ, J City.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
I realize that we could use the money, but if we didn't and could use our Jersey attitude...don't bother coming back.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 28,684 times
Let's be honest it would be hard-pressed to sell East Rutherford or Secaucus.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never been to the northeast. It seems as if the NFL and networks aren't giving any love to Jersey with the upcoming Super Bowl. Seen stories that the city hosting the Super Bowl can't even use the term "Super Bowl" in hosting a street party and even the mayor of the city can't get tickets nor invite to the game. All the love is "New York" even though the stadium is New Jersey.
I hate to say it, but this is what happens when you host "New York" teams in another state, and allow yourselves to be taxed accordingly. NJ would need their own team(s), and focus on promoting its own identity, instead of relying/falling back on being the suburbs or NYC/Philly.

Show NJ pride, not NY pride in NJ.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I hate to say it, but this is what happens when you host "New York" teams in another state, and allow yourselves to be taxed accordingly. NJ would need their own team(s), and focus on promoting its own identity, instead of relying/falling back on being the suburbs or NYC/Philly.

Show NJ pride, not NY pride in NJ.
I think Philly is overrated. If you go outside the north east, very few people want to go to Philly. Vs NYC or Boston. While I do agree most people think NJ is the lost borough of NY, very few people outside of the north east think "NJ = PA/Philly".

Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I think Philly is overrated. If you go outside the north east, very few people want to go to Philly. Vs NYC or Boston. While I do agree most people think NJ is the lost borough of NY, very few people outside of the north east think "NJ = PA/Philly".
I only mentioned Philly only because some NJ residents may identify more with Philly due to their location, etc; not necessarily based on what outsiders think of Philly itself.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,706 times
Still I think it's a very small minority. I really don't know anyone who says PA/NJ are one in the same. People always says NJ/NY are the same/interchangeable.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakab View Post
Let's be honest it would be hard-pressed to sell East Rutherford or Secaucus.
Yeah? At least these towns are in America "proper" not some island, and I'd rather be in Secaucus or East Rut than in NYC anyway.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
It was inevitable, I'm done felling roughed about it as we should have expected it from the start. Woulda been no different if the stadium was on LI, but at least they'd have the state right.

Either way, gonna go enjoy our "Big Game" tailgate party on Sunday cause really, no matter how much I don't follow or even really care about football, how often in your life does the town you live in host the Super Bowl? Might as well make the best of it, stock up on food and beer early so we just have to walk this weekend and have a good time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey