Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM

185 posts, read 457,718 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am trying to help someone who is looking at an opportunity near Journal Square in Jersey City. Neither of us know anything about the area. Where are safe, yet inexpensive apartments to rent in the area? What towns nearby to make commuting via transit or 15ish min drive.

What's safe and fits into around $1k/mo? (ish) I looked at Craigslist and there is a lot in Newark or other areas which I've heard are nowhere near safe.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 PM

882 posts, read 1,671,453 times
1K/month is a bit low for anything in the region. Perhaps something in the Ironbound (Newark's East Ward), which is comparatively safe and would be a short ride to Journal Square. Not much sense in driving though with the PATH train right there. Harrison would be another fairly safe and convenient spot, but I'm not sure you can find anything for that cheap. If your friend is amenable to a roommate situation, then Jersey City becomes an option, but I wouldn't rent in Journal Square. Newport, Exchange Place, and Grove Street are the neighborhoods to be in. Jersey City is a bit tough to drive to, but to find safe communities at 1000/month you'd really have to look for private homes in suburbs renting out upstairs apartments. You might try looking at some towns in Bergen County on Trulia or Zillow, there're occasionally apts. for 900 or so if you look hard enough.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM

160 posts, read 301,013 times
Bayonne is easily your best option combining safety and a quick commute. It fufills every requirement.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 PM

104 posts, read 139,963 times
try grove st, jersey heights .
shine properties and jitesh chulani rent lots of apartments in jersey city area . they might be having something in your range

Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM

185 posts, read 457,718 times
interesting info guys. I figured $1k would not be enough. 1br places are net more expensive than sharing a 2 or 3 br so that makes sense. The biggest piece is getting to the JSQ station - the office is in that building. So any transit that takes him there will be a must because I think he'd be planning on leaving his car out on Long Island garaged since he says he can't sell it.

thanks again and hope to see some more responses too!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
Bayonne is easily your best option combining safety and a quick commute. It fufills every requirement.
$1k in Bayonne? That seems low to me. Maybe with a share, but you could do a share for $1k in Journal Square, too.

Grove St is a joke, no chance of getting an apartment for under $1.8k or so there, though $1k for a share is on the fringe edge of doable. Some people in the area do have cheaper apartments, but they're rent controlled--you can't have one.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM

516 posts, read 1,006,065 times
Wait, this is for a studio? You can definitely get studio/small 1bd in Journal Square. There are plenty by me, however, the buildings are more run-down (e.g. prewar type).

Corbin Ave/Van Wagenen has several buildings that are ~1K for small 2bd. I lived in one on Van Wagenen by Sip Ave a few years ago and never felt unsafe tho the area isn't that pretty to look at. A coworker lives on the huge rental building at the corner of JFK and Sip and said it was fine--think he paid 1K for a decent sized 1bd.

How about this one? https://tulirealty.appfolio.com/list...7-b4c767d2bec7
I've viewed a couple units managed by this company before we bought our condo and most seemed ok--of course YMMV depending on the super managing the building.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,013 times
Yea sounds like the best bet is to get a place in Journal square. As the poster above mentioned you should have some options in that price range. You may find shares in Grove area for that if you get lucky or look for a 3 br. But not your own place.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:16 PM

25 posts, read 50,272 times
In my opinion, Journal Square isn't a bad place to move to. There's a McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Rite Aid, Popeyes, etc for food. Entertainment, there are theaters, libraries, and a 15-20 minute ride from downtown. The only thing I would worry about is the occasional beggar..

Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM

160 posts, read 301,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
$1k in Bayonne? That seems low to me. Maybe with a share, but you could do a share for $1k in Journal Square, too.

Grove St is a joke, no chance of getting an apartment for under $1.8k or so there, though $1k for a share is on the fringe edge of doable. Some people in the area do have cheaper apartments, but they're rent controlled--you can't have one.
My old place was 850 a month and that was only 2 years ago. I know there is plenty of housing under 1k a month there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey