Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 8,676 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ and have an out-of-state drivers license. I lost my wallet this weekend on the NYC subway.
Can I just get a NJ license instead of going all the way back to PA to get a replacement?

long version:

I moved to NJ (Jersey City) from Pennsylvania a year and a half ago, intending to move again to NYC. Because I was planning on moving again in a year I figured I would just keep my PA drivers license and switch it when I finally moved to New York. Since then I've decided to stay in NJ a little longer (instead of moving to New York) and have been meaning to switch my license over for a month or so (just haven't got around to it).

Then, this past weekend I got out of the NYC subway and realized that my wallet+DL was gone. Of course I'm kicking myself for not just switching my license when I had the chance, but is there a magic catchphrase to go to the NJ Motor Vehicles and get them to issue me a NJ drivers license? Or do I have to catch a bus back to PA, pay to to get a PA license replaced, pay for a bus ticket back...and then pay to switch it to a NJ license? I have a passport, work ID, paystubs and a couple bank statements and bills to show my identity.

(Tips on recovering lost/stolen ID's and cards are appreciated too if anybody has any tricks--I've had no luck with the MTA lost property unit)

Thanks!

Last edited by hiroprotagonist1000; 03-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: added summary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Replacing Your Driver's License or Photo ID Card

Looks like you can print off a replacement good for 15 days while new one is being mailed.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,676 times
Thanks! I'll check it out!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM

414 posts, read 930,893 times
It sounds like you may be using public transit vs. driving...but NJ DMV does state that:

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM

414 posts, read 930,893 times
I actually lost my wallet years ago on a NJ Transit Train in Trenton...thought I would never see it again. Someone actually DID return it with cash and credit cards intact.

I was extremely fortunate that a very kind stranger found it and returned it to a NJ Transit Conductor! I got a call a couple of days later to pick it up from the train station!

Sincere wishes that you have equally good fortune in finding yours! But obviously, play it safe and cancel those credit cards ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey