Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,996,606 times

Advertisements

Something interesting happened to me at the supermarket the other day.....I walked in and after 8 seconds not one person was fawning all over me. How could they have not noticed my shirt that said Aspen or my watch?

I marched right over to the fruit and vegetables section and picked up about a dozen cantaloupes and started tossing them like Eli Manning. I stopped when I heard some old guy yelling in the frozen food section. I then ran screaming down the canned foods aisle with both arms outstretched knocking over everything I could.

I then brought the bag of ice I came there for to the register, payed, thanked everyone and left. It's great to be me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM

929 posts, read 1,661,224 times
Default I hate the Saker Shoprites.

They have a company policy of hiring people with down syndrome to maintain their parking lots. I've seen it done at a few of their locations.

While a noble idea in theory, it doesn't work very well in execution. I recently had a mentally challenged guy yelling at me incoherently about a shopping cart and blocking traffic while there were numerous cars trying to get through the lot.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
They have a company policy of hiring people with down syndrome to maintain their parking lots. I've seen it done at a few of their locations.

While a noble idea in theory, it doesn't work very well in execution. I recently had a mentally challenged guy yelling at me incoherently about a shopping cart and blocking traffic while there were numerous cars trying to get through the lot.
ive never had an issue and I go to shoprite all the time. so you had one bad experience and now a down syndrome person shouldn't be hired to collect shopping carts? I think its great that they have that policy.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM

929 posts, read 1,661,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive never had an issue and I go to shoprite all the time. so you had one bad experience and now a down syndrome person shouldn't be hired to collect shopping carts? I think its great that they have that policy.
Not just the one experience, no. Just the most recent.

Normal people who are in a hurry and in a crowded area probably aren't in the right state of mind to be required to deal with retarded people. Not politically correct, but nonetheless the truth. You've got drivers cutting you off to take your spot, on their phones not paying attention, fighting over carts... it's a mess. Someone with a child's intellect is not going to be able to manage that well.

It would be a much better fit to hire them as bag handlers to assist in speeding up the check-out process.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
I can certainly attest to the suckitude of Jewel and Giant Eagle. I've found Walmart to be quite good in price and selection but a complete customer-service dud. I remember Pick & Save from my Wisconsin days to be small, kinda limited in selection, and a little pricey, yet pleasant and tidy; the kind of place you go when you just need to run in and grab a couple items on your way home from work or the like. Pick & Save's parent company (Roundy's) has recently opened a number of new stores in and around Chicago called Mariano's that are anywhere from good to phenomenal. We skip the Jewel and another local chain (Tony's) both a few blocks away from us to drive out of our way to shop at Mariano's

Old 04-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Not just the one experience, no. Just the most recent.

Normal people who are in a hurry and in a crowded area probably aren't in the right state of mind to be required to deal with retarded people. Not politically correct, but nonetheless the truth. You've got drivers cutting you off to take your spot, on their phones not paying attention, fighting over carts... it's a mess. Someone with a child's intellect is not going to be able to manage that well.

It would be a much better fit to hire them as bag handlers to assist in speeding up the check-out process.
normal people are supposed to understand who they are dealing with and relax. boohoo if a handicapped person working a job slows you down. not only should you suck it up, but you shouldn't give any indication that he is bothering you. I find it impressive that you think "normal people" are in some kind of irrational, angry and impatient state of mind when they are going to and from the grocery store. maybe you aren't normal.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,528,582 times
Quote:
Stop Rite is (in general) one dirty, loud, and rushed experience. I had no idea they opened up new stores. I thought the last one was maybe opened circa 1993.

I forgot about Kings. That is a supermarket that used to be overpriced and dirty but has since evolved into a North Jersey version of Whole Foods.

The new one in Gilette does a bang up job. Makes shop rite down the street look like peasentry:

Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Stop Rite is (in general) one dirty, loud, and rushed experience. I had no idea they opened up new stores. I thought the last one was maybe opened circa 1993.
I don't really know about "in general" I know the ones I have been to have been good (Marlboro, Middletown, hazlet). one thing that they do better than the others around is their sales. they have more products on sale and they also seem to match better with available coupons. they have always been clean and decent looking. they don't focus on being pretty or fancy, but I don't really care about that. I care about value and they are the best in the area for that (except for aldi).

Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
I like Acme. For one thing, it's on the way home from the train station. They also carry a cat food that no one else carries except Pet Smart, which is NOT on the way home from the train station. And the people in the Acme are weirdly friendly, as if I'm one of their best buds who just happened to drop in to pick up some food. It's not one or two people. It's everyone who works there. Kind of Twilight Zoney, and it threw me at first, but now I like it. Maybe because I don't go out and do a big shopping trip--I stop in every couple of days to get what I need for a couple of days. Maybe they think I'm just as weird as I think they are.

It's a small store, which would probably put most people off, but I live alone and my needs are pretty basic. If I want something else, I go to Trader Joe's which is also on the way home from the train station but on the wrong side of 35, and sometimes I go to Wegman's, which is about a 15-minute ride.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
Quote:
Yeah, way to throw the tard out with the bathwater, Bobby BK.

JK - I think it's a good idea too. As long as they're not paying them $2/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey